Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Performance vs Results

Good performance or positive result?

• Performance

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Result

Votes: 112 90.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezti

Player Valuation: £70m
The two don't always go hand in hand, as seen with the game against Villa and the other times this season where we've clearly dominated but ended with a draw or worse (Norwich, etc).
If you had to choose between watching a great performance, but with a disappointing result or a sub-par/lacking performance with a positive result - what would you choose?

I personally like seeing good football. 3 points is extra but as long as I see the team play well, with determination and putting in the effort I can walk away satisfied. Oft times that mix does leave frustration like in the Norwich game but I would rather see that than a half-assed performance where the players don't even try for most of the game (Villa match) but end up with the win.

I know 3 points/wins means higher league pos, more money, etc is important for the club. But on an individual match basis, I'd rather have the performance.

Of course I'd rather we have both. But this is to address the small issue between fans I see when there was criticism after the villa game, while others was pointing out its a win and that's what counts.

The two don't always go hand in hand, as seen with the game against Villa and the other times this season where we've clearly dominated but ended with a draw or worse (Norwich, etc).
If you had to choose between watching a great performance, but with a disappointing result or a sub-par/lacking performance with a positive result - what would you choose?

I personally like seeing good football. 3 points is extra but as long as I see the team play well, with determination and putting in the effort I can walk away satisfied. Oft times that mix does leave frustration like in the Norwich game but I would rather see that than a half-assed performance where the players don't even try for most of the game (Villa match) but end up with the win.

I know 3 points/wins means higher league pos, more money, etc is important for the club. But on an individual match basis, I'd rather have the performance.

Of course I'd rather we have both. But this is to address the small issue between fans I see when there was criticism after the villa game, while others was pointing out its a win and that's what counts.
Its all about results they bring trophies and thats what its all about.

It's a good discussion topic but there are grey areas between the two camps.

I don't want just one or the other, but I hated the first 9 years of the Moyes regime. Not his fault at all as he was financially hamstrung.

I love the football with RM but we need to continue the run of results

I don't understand people moaning about the performance yesterday, though. We took an early lead away and then sat back and played on the counter (which we do really well). We built that to a 3-0 lead (with that second goal one of the finest counterattacking team moves you'll ever see), and then conceded a meaningless goal ten minutes from time after shifting to a formation Martinez was clearly experimenting with.

No one watching that match yesterday would have possibly said we deserved less than all three points from our performance. So what's the problem?

I genuinely dont understand anyone whomwould put performance above results? It is a given that you would love to see both, but given the choice between an ugly win and a beautiful defeat, then it must be the win? There is obviously a balance and i too want to be entertained. but i think the single biggest source of frustration this season has been our entertaining football hasnt produced sufficient points to drive us up the table toward European places or cup finals! I knwo a lot of Arsenal fans and they feel the same way about their club! They see some consistently attractive, entertaining football, but most of them would swap it for a trophy particularly in Europe!

Results And then more results.
Winning the game is what it's all about. I wouldn't like to watch west brom or Stoke from a few years back - but there has been no satisfaction from any of the games were we played well and got beat or drew this season.

Results will always trump performances because the only thing that matters at the end of the day are points & cup progression.

But it isn't a black & white situation like that in reality, and it is not unreasonable for football fans to expect good performances regardless of result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back