Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Performance vs Results

Good performance or positive result?

• Performance

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Result

Votes: 112 90.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two don't always go hand in hand, as seen with the game against Villa and the other times this season where we've clearly dominated but ended with a draw or worse (Norwich, etc).
If you had to choose between watching a great performance, but with a disappointing result or a sub-par/lacking performance with a positive result - what would you choose?

I personally like seeing good football. 3 points is extra but as long as I see the team play well, with determination and putting in the effort I can walk away satisfied. Oft times that mix does leave frustration like in the Norwich game but I would rather see that than a half-assed performance where the players don't even try for most of the game (Villa match) but end up with the win.

I know 3 points/wins means higher league pos, more money, etc is important for the club. But on an individual match basis, I'd rather have the performance.

Of course I'd rather we have both. But this is to address the small issue between fans I see when there was criticism after the villa game, while others was pointing out its a win and that's what counts.

I've gone for performance as, like @banno pointed out, better performances lead to better results in the long run.Obviously it's a results business but the idea that ours have been bad enough this season to warrant a sacking are beyond me.

If our displays had been as turgid as they were last year, I'd think differently, but they have been 10x better and for a number of reasons the main issue has been turning draws into wins and throwing away points in certain games, combined with a bit of bad luck as well.

Players and manager both responsible for the things that have been in our control this season.

I think it's very interesting to note Ranieri's reaction to Leicester's draw last night.

He was much more pleased with the performance of his side last night than he was against Norwich, even though they won that game.

A balance.

Seen enough turgid performances without results for my lifetime.

Which is what we have had since the turn of the year, on the whole, and especially in the last six games.

Yesterday was an example of a second-rate performance against a second-rate side but we got the job done.

I think it's very interesting to note Ranieri's reaction to Leicester's draw last night.

He was much more pleased with the performance of his side last night than he was against Norwich, even though they won that game.

I'd be amazed if Ranieri wanted a performance over the result. I'd imagine he was trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing result. He's already started his mind games this week claiming they're fourth favourites and all that, trying to take the pressure off.

I doubt any of his players have been in this situation before so I'd imagine he's doing his best to ensure they can handle the added pressure.

Results over performance all day for me. I'm interested to know what people see as performance though, because surely it's more than just being decent going forward. Surely a performance would consist of a good defence as well.

Lets hope Everton can take the current run of results in to the more difficult fixtures that are coming up.

A more solid defence coupled with attacking flair is the way forward. When we play at our most expansive for longer periods, we tend to throw points away. The last few games has seen us strike a better balance, as shown last night when Martinez experimented at the back and we looked vulnerable again late on. If we could actually get a run of a few wins back to back, the confidence levels within the team would allow us to bring more of our firepower to fore more often, I just feel the confidence in this team is so easily knocked at the moment. This needs working on as much as anything else.

I'd be amazed if Ranieri wanted a performance over the result. I'd imagine he was trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing result. He's already started his mind games this week claiming they're fourth favourites and all that, trying to take the pressure off.

I doubt any of his players have been in this situation before so I'd imagine he's doing his best to ensure they can handle the added pressure.

Results over performance all day for me. I'm interested to know what people see as performance though, because surely it's more than just being decent going forward. Surely a performance would consist of a good defence as well.

Lets hope Everton can take the current run of results in to the more difficult fixtures that are coming up.

Mate I watched his interview at the time.

I took that factor of 'no pressure' on board at the time but the first thing he said was he was happy with the display and I really don't believe it was just spin. All the pundits were saying Leicester completely annihilated WBA (I think McAnally(sp?) actually compared it to what we did to WBA!), Ranieri's interview followed that pattern.

A more solid defence coupled with attacking flair is the way forward. When we play at our most expansive for longer periods, we tend to throw points away. The last few games has seen us strike a better balance, as shown last night when Martinez experimented at the back and we looked vulnerable again late on. If we could actually get a run of a few wins back to back, the confidence levels within the team would allow us to bring more of our firepower to fore more often, I just feel the confidence in this team is so easily knocked at the moment. This needs working on as much as anything else.

In-correct mate, and actually a really common miss-conception.

The goals we concede usually come from us sitting way too deep and inviting the opposition on. There's been a few times when we've been done on the counter or a set-piece, but no where near as much as when we drop back that 5 yards too much.

"Remember that game where Everton passed the ball a lot?"

No.

"Remember that game where Everton grinded out the FA Cup Final win in 2016?"

Yes.

In-correct mate, and actually a really common miss-conception.

The goals we concede usually come from us sitting way too deep and inviting the opposition on. There's been a few times when we've been done on the counter or a set-piece, but no where near as much as when we drop back that 5 yards too much.[/QUOTE]
Fair point mate. The bit in bold drives me bonkers, 2 years ago, we pressed teams all over the pitch, we just seem to invite pressure now. Is it the fitness levels or a change in tactic?

Maybe a change in tactic to draw teams out I think mate, which then means we can hit them on the counter.

The logic's sound and you can't maintain such a high press all the time. It's just getting that balance right that's the issue imo.

At the start and middle of the season I'd say performances as the results will usually follow.

However in cup competitions or towards the end of the season when players are tired/injured and there are limited games to make up ground then results, however you get them, are key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back