Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Performance vs Results

Good performance or positive result?

• Performance

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Result

Votes: 112 90.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I think my points got confused because I was responding to different people. Performances are more important in the long term than results but entertainment is also important to me. Someone earlier was saying they'd be happy for us to be boring in every game and win the league and I was saying I wouldn't be happy with that because I want entertainment as well. If all our games were a repeat of that Villa game then I think I'd lose interest half way through the season as it was so boring. It's all hypothetical anyway because the team that wins the league virtually always plays good football, maybe not the most entertaining but definitely up there.
@Woolly Blue

So hypothetically we could be P19 W19 and he would lose interest.

Is this really debatable?

88% people say result.

Besides a good result is more likely to bring a good performance, confidence will be up, players play better when they are winning. That's a fact (unless you play for LVG).

What a missed opportunity this year. Man City 48 points? 10 games to go, going to finish with around 60-65 points for fourth place. Could easily have been Everton's year, if not for some huge egos and not dropping some players based on their form. Howard, Kone etc. Keeping Mirallas on the bench.

The two don't always go hand in hand, as seen with the game against Villa and the other times this season where we've clearly dominated but ended with a draw or worse (Norwich, etc).
If you had to choose between watching a great performance, but with a disappointing result or a sub-par/lacking performance with a positive result - what would you choose?

I personally like seeing good football. 3 points is extra but as long as I see the team play well, with determination and putting in the effort I can walk away satisfied. Oft times that mix does leave frustration like in the Norwich game but I would rather see that than a half-assed performance where the players don't even try for most of the game (Villa match) but end up with the win.

I know 3 points/wins means higher league pos, more money, etc is important for the club. But on an individual match basis, I'd rather have the performance.

Of course I'd rather we have both. But this is to address the small issue between fans I see when there was criticism after the villa game, while others was pointing out its a win and that's what counts.

Result first then work on style.
We don't do Gymnastics, Dressage, Diving or Ice Dancing to Ravel's Bolero like Torrvil & Dean, There is no 'Degree of Difficulty' or 'Artistic Impression'.
Nor is it Super Rugby were you get a bonus point for scoring over a set figure.
Nothing for possession, pass completion stats or GF or GD...you do however in the long run tend to loose points and games if the GA is too big.
You don't get points for Potential or having the best squad for 'XX' yrs. or being phenomenally in the moment.

The Table doesn't lie, we as a team are performing bang average, just like the Manager...because of the manager.

Is it hard to understand? There are more important things in life than winning. I don't take that much satisfaction from winning unless I feel like I deserve it.

You wouldn't want us to win the league playing badly? Mad you mate.

Someone might have already said it but, Leicester became the first team to score over 50 goals this week, they're on 51. We're on 49 with 1 game less played.

This season could have been so different had we grabbed results with the performance.

If you read the Villa match thread performance is defo more important than results.

I reckon we'd all prefer them both.

The match thread in general fume at every mistake...so maybe performance really is more important for many on here...unless they are just knee jerking emotional weapons *waits for around 50 admissions

You wouldn't want us to win the league playing badly? Mad you mate.

It would never happen because teams that win the league generally play good football. There was a game against Bolton away a few years ago under Moyes. Awful awful game. We won 1-0 late late on. If that was the standard we played at every week I wouldn't enjoy it. Teams that are entertaining attract more fans and in the long run generate more sustainable success.

It would never happen because teams that win the league generally play good football. There was a game against Bolton away a few years ago under Moyes. Awful awful game. We won 1-0 late late on. If that was the standard we played at every week I wouldn't enjoy it. Teams that are entertaining attract more fans and in the long run generate more sustainable success.

Felli header off the post, it was freezing cold that night... brrrrrrr

Is this a question. The villa match was dreadful for 80 mins. Bournemouth was brilliant for 80. You tell me which match left you happy and which had you throwing things.

Bournemouth wasn't brilliant for 80 mins. Second half performance was poor but because the score was ok until the 80th minute you were confused into thinking we were performing well. The final score was a result of the poor performance/tactics in the second half.

Good teams win ugly hell fergusons United was famous for it

That's true. But Ferguson teams performed well and won week in week out. The poor performances were the exception. I think we can all agree that if we want to move up the table we need to perform better than we did against Villa. That's all the performance side of this debate are saying. Don't be fooled by the result. The performance did not suggest that we should expect any improvement in our league position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back