Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Performance vs Results

Good performance or positive result?

• Performance

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Result

Votes: 112 90.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is too simplistic to think of performances as good or bad. I think some people think a performance is bad if it does not match the way they want to see the team play. More often on the face of it a performance looks bad because we are giving up possession and misplacing passes etc. but the effort and tactics maybe really good but on the other side the passing and retention of possession maybe top notch but the effort lacks and the tactics are poor. I think half the time teams win and fans think there team won ugly or did not play well but there is more to it than just playing a pretty game.

I wouldn't. If we ever win the league I want to be entertained and I want us to play like champions. I don't see the point in winning if you play sh&t football.
HAHAHAHA

Jagielka lifts the Premier League trophy aloft and everyone is loving it except you because you don't see the point

You couldn't win a league without playing, predominantly, good football. As you need to score goals, and goals are always boss ;)

HAHAHAHA

Jagielka lifts the Premier League trophy aloft and everyone is loving it except you because you don't see the point

You have the mentality of a Wigan fan. Everton fans historically expect to win in style. Football is entertainment to me. There's no point watching unless I am entertained.

You have the mentality of a Wigan fan. Everton fans historically expect to win in style. Football is entertainment to me. There's no point watching unless I am entertained.
Sorry friend you have us mixed up. Wigan were entertaining (what you prioritise) but went down. I want to see Everton win whether it be pretty or ugly. Winning in style is the ultimate goal but I'd sooner us bore a 1-0 win than watch an amazing 3-3 draw.

Sorry friend you have us mixed up. Wigan were entertaining (what you prioritise) but went down. I want to see Everton win whether it be pretty or ugly. Winning in style is the ultimate goal but I'd sooner us bore a 1-0 win than watch an amazing 3-3 draw.

Prioritising results over performance is the reason England don't perform well at most sports. It's short termism.

Wigan won the cup despite being a team that got relegated because of their poor performances in the league.

Prioritising results over performance is the reason England don't perform well at most sports. It's short termism.

Wigan won the cup despite being a team that got relegated because of their poor performances in the league.
So you say it's short termism but then say Wigan were relegated because of their results over the course of a season.

I place results first, get enough results and you'll be rewarded.

You place entertainment first, be entertained and you can still draw or lose.

So you say it's short termism but then say Wigan were relegated because of their results over the course of a season.

I place results first, get enough results and you'll be rewarded.

You place entertainment first, be entertained and you can still draw or lose.

You're equating performance with entertainment, which, I don't think, was the point he was making.

You're equating performance with entertainment, which, I don't think, was the point he was making.

Thanks. I think my points got confused because I was responding to different people. Performances are more important in the long term than results but entertainment is also important to me. Someone earlier was saying they'd be happy for us to be boring in every game and win the league and I was saying I wouldn't be happy with that because I want entertainment as well. If all our games were a repeat of that Villa game then I think I'd lose interest half way through the season as it was so boring. It's all hypothetical anyway because the team that wins the league virtually always plays good football, maybe not the most entertaining but definitely up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back