Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having to shut down the country to mourn is probably the strongest argument yet about how dumb a monarch is

Country isn't even shut down

We're all still having to go to work and carry on as usual, they've just taken away the entertainments that distract us all from the daily grind

Nothing against the Queen, may she rest in peace, but that's some nonsense that

Either let us all knock off or keep the other stuff running

I'm going to predict that whatever happens this will not make or break our season.
I dunno. I think this was a real stroke of luck for Lampard. With his goalkeeper and centre-forward out, this buys him time. He hasn't won a league game all season and was facing into another four without those, potentially. I'll be honest: he goes eight wins without a win and he's under serious pressure and in danger of a November "surprise". I see any postponements now as a welcome stroke of luck.

Country isn't even shut down

We're all still having to go to work and carry on as usual, they've just taken away the entertainments that distract us all from the daily grind

Nothing against the Queen, may she rest in peace, but that's some nonsense that

Either let us all knock off or keep the other stuff running
This is a key difference between a monarchy and a republic. This kind of self-abasement and cap-doffing prostration just would not be tolerated in a republic. I like the Queen - I think she was, actually, a dignified force of reconciliation (I say this as an Irishman) - but there's some remarkable nonsense going on about her passing right now. I'm actually embarrassed watching some of the BBC coverage at the moment.

I mean, to be objetively fair, she wasn't even the most significant "celebrity" death in the last fortnight.

This is a key difference between a monarchy and a republic. This kind of self-abasement and cap-doffing prostration just would not be tolerated in a republic. I like the Queen - I think she was, actually, a dignified force of reconciliation (I say this as an Irishman) - but there's some remarkable nonsense going on about her passing right now. I'm actually embarrassed watching some of the BBC coverage at the moment.

I mean, to be objetively fair, she wasn't even the most significant "celebrity" death in the last fortnight.
I'm very much a republican, but I'm afraid that's just not true.

This is an utterly seismic event.

The global media coverage of this proves that's not true. This hasn't happenned since 1952 so of course it's a big deal. Anyone younger than about 75 does not remember a time when the Queen was not the Queen, so it's a big change for the country

Every mainstream channel stopping their broadcast to cover the news and even sports channels stopped talking about sport, which is a bit more significant than whatever happened after the celebrity you're talking about died (who i've no idea who that is, by the way).

Iam expecting the postponment of this weekends Premier League Fixtures , also the 17th,18th of Sept.
This is of course correct and should happen, the 17th Sept the likely date of her Funeral.

Everton will not have played a Premier League match anyother competitive match until i think its the 1st Oct.
The International break.??
We haven't won a league game yet, so the break will do us more good than most teams.

So because all the weird little englanders are sad that their god has died everyone must be forced to be sad.

What North Korean BS is this?
Nobody is being forced into being sad

Weird little footie fans getting pissy because they can't watch their own tribal gang of multi millionaires pass a small round ball to each other on the telly

I'm very much a republican, but I'm afraid that's just not true.

This is an utterly seismic event.
I'm sorry, and I mean no disrespect, but in terms of international historical significance, she isn't in the same league as Gorbachev. He changed the world - rightly or wrongly, with intent or otherwise, by design or happenstance. She, great representative for the UK that she was, sat on a throne and, frankly, represented unchanging constancy.

It may be "seismic" in the UK. But in world history terms, not so much. I suppose it all comes down to how significant one considers the modern British monarchy. By any objective analysis, the fall of the Soviet Union, collapse of the Iron Curtain, demise of communism, and ending of the Cold War just sneaks past the death of a long-serving figure-head British monarch with no meaningful political power. Not trying to play down or intrude on a nation's grief, but in the greater scheme of things...

If we lose a weekend's football then it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I don't know if it's the right decision or the wrong decision if they postpone. Part of me thinks it's respectful and a good idea and part of me thinks life goes on and we should carry on (as long as nothing clashes with the funeral). I'm not sure there's a right or wrong response to this because people feel very differently on it, although it is still a huge event for the country.

We had 4 months with no football in 2020 so what is a weekend with no matches? I'll certainly find other ways to put in the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.