Premier League Squad Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
16-19. There's bound to be at least one team that's miles worse than we are. It wouldn't take a huge amount of imagination to see that squad go down though. Worrying times. Even a couple of decent loans could be the difference between staying up and dropping.

I think we have a squad that should be comfortably mid table.
We have the basis of a very decent team in Pickford, Tarkowski,Godfrey, Mykolenko,Doucoure,Gordon and DCL. I assume Mina will leave.

We have Dele but at the moment we don't know what that means and at the moment the same applies to Patterson.

We have Keane, Holgate,Coleman, Allan, Gray and Iwobi as cover and some of their performances can vary from excellent to AWFUL.

The addition of three more players will make us a very decent team.
A defensive central midfielder.
An attacking wide player to replace Richarlison.
A decent back up for DCL.

I think a player like Walker Peters that could play left or right back would also be welcome but I think the other positions are priority.

…I would love a chillax season of mid-table mediocracy, but doubt that squad is good enough for that.

I’m as nervous as Keane.

Me too, hopefully we have 40 points in February and dont have to worry about much for the last 3 months of the season.

I'll do tiers because it is hard to split hairs on some:

Elite:
City
RS

CL level:
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal

European competitors:
United
Leicester
Wham

Filling out the midtable:
Wolves
Palace
Brighton
Newcastle
Villa

Should have enough to stay safe:
Saints

Dogfight:
Everton
Leeds
Brentford
Fulham
Forest
Bournemouth

I would rate the situation as pretty bad. And since the teams around us seem to want to try and improve it could reach very bad.
Saints have 'lost' Broja without replacing him. They have recruited "for the future" so far this window. They are stuffed.

Everton should replace them as the 'should have enough to stay safe' imo. Stirs the old blood really.

Good enough for 16th last year and we've sold our best player

Have to say its a relegation scrap squad

The midfield is relegation material. The defence ON PAPER is bottom half, but combined with the GK our best back 5 is not really a big issue. We have one forward who is top ten material and then no backup, and similarly we have one promising winger who is top 10 material with others who can occasionally show something but aren't consistent enough.

Balancing all that out we're a bottom half side. Probably around 15th/16th again but if certain players are fit all year we could probably bump up a few places and be more comfortable.

First 11 can finish 17th but any injuries and it's bottom 3. No doubt in my mind.
We need to clear out the deadwood - we all know who they are - I can count 6 at least - and add at least 3 players who are at least top 8 - mid table quality,

Saints have 'lost' Broja without replacing him. They have recruited "for the future" so far this window. They are stuffed.

Everton should replace them as the 'should have enough to stay safe' imo. Stirs the old blood really.
So the thing for me is Saints have a real PL midfield with defined roles and players who fit those roles. And although I don't rate Ward-Prowse or the rest hardly at all that should be enough to keep them up. I can't say that about Everton yet.

If DCL stays uninjured we should be alright and if he blows an ACL we are screwed. Not that DCL is a big star or anything, its just we have nothing to replace him w/.

I'll do tiers because it is hard to split hairs on some:

Elite:
City
RS

CL level:
Chelsea
Tottenham
Arsenal

European competitors:
United
Leicester
Wham

Filling out the midtable:
Wolves
Palace
Brighton
Newcastle
Villa

Should have enough to stay safe:
Saints

Dogfight:
Everton
Leeds
Brentford
Fulham
Forest
Bournemouth

I would rate the situation as pretty bad. And since the teams around us seem to want to try and improve it could reach very bad.
Summed that up perfectly

I think a huge amount depends on how Tarkowski beds in.
I think last season, the wheels started to come off when the opposition realized that our center backs couldn't connect with our midfield. Keane and Allan were two huge culprits. I think by playing 3 at the back we can give one of the CB's license to carry the ball a bit further out of defense and just hope that we either buy a holding midfielder or hope that we can coach the existing ones to pick up the ball and get up the pitch.
Either way, we cant be any worse at this than we were last season.
I think Dele will slot in well behind DCL and we'll likely see Iwobi and Myko at wing back.
I'd say Mina might be moved on so I'd expect a starting line up from the existing squad to be something like

-----------------Pickford
------Holgate, Tarkowski, Godfrey
Iwobi-------Allan-----Doucoure-----Myko
-----------Gordon---Dele--
----------------DCL

If that team could stay fit and hit a bit of form, no reason they couldn't be comfortably mid table.
Need a Gareth Barry type desperately tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.