Pressing in football

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that if you press the opponent you'll get the ball back a lot more times than when you don't. Any time they hoof the ball forward wildly or out of play works for me. The value of putting that effort in is in winning possession. It's much harder to win with less of the ball.

Liverpool under Rodgers would blitz early, get the lead, push for a second and then sit back conserving energy. It almost worked for them too. They just bottled it.

I think our approach of wearing down teams could be fruitful if we combine a certain amount of ball keeping in their half when we're leading, as we did against stoke
teams will tire and we'd see a glut of late goals

You need to tactically prioritise pressing game by game. When we played Mourinho's Chelsea a few years back, they didn't press us at all, Stones was loving it being given all the time in the world, then the ball game to McGeady and they were all over him like a rash - because Jose identified (correctly) that McGeady was the best way of regaining possession.
Other teams have pressed us highly because we messed about at the back and Stones and Howard would always take a chance etc.

That's something that annoys me intensely (not aimed at you, just in general) - when he does, yeah. What if he doesn't find the same form as early last year though? I mean he's had plenty of chances in the last 4 games and missed them all (and complained and waved his arms about* when not everyone gives him the ball for an easy finish, mind). We're stuck with someone who doesn't score, can't trap a ball and can't pass consistently well. Just cuz he scored a goal won't excuse him if we lose 2:1 and he failed to make the simple through ball pass, or failed to even control a 20m pass alone vs. the keeper (etc etc, you catch my drift here probably).

But you're right about his application, still not an excuse for his lack in many other areas. We gave grief to Naismith for the same shortcomings Lukaku has, but Lukaku is apparently a superstar and Naismith was crap - lack of first touch, can't pass. Difference was Naismith ran his testicles off and Lukaku is excellent at direct running (as the positives for both of them).

*In the Stoke game - he failed the simplest of passes several times by not even hitting the player/the area in front of him or passing behind him (played it behind Bolasie or Kone, I think, and once for Kev as well) and then flailed his arms about and mouthed off the other player, as if it's his fault the pass was absolute toilet. I found that pretty annoying. Soz for the offtopic rant.
Your right mate I'm not Roms biggest fan, he's a very good player at best he needs at least 2 or 3 good chances to score 1. He doesn't always give 100% and for me if he doesn't score he offers nothing!

find it very amusing that for all the RS go on about pressing, they lack anything resembling a destroyer - we're actually better set up to do so with gueye (who often wins the ball back when we lose it)

You cant press all a game. It has to be dosed. It's physically not possible and the teams that are associated with it do it over a period and then recharge. And it's tactically unwise to focus on a press at all times. The opposition synch into the pattern and its value is diminished.

The way that this aspect of the game has been elevated is a joke. It's a bare minimum to work off the ball. It's merely the heavy lifting that puts in place the base that attractive football can move off from.

Actually agree with this. Pressing isn't something Guardiola or Klopp just invented, good teams have always worked hard off the ball. All that happened was we had a period of the better teams having substantially better players than the rest of the league and far bigger squads. The only way for some teams to stay in the league was to sit deep and play a long ball, even if they won possession they didn't have the players to do anything with it. Now most teams in the league have players who can not only maintain physical exertion for longer periods in a game but can also use the ball well when they get it so more and more teams are encouraging their players to win the ball higher up the pitch rather than just retreating deep.

Pressing is the way to play. If you cast your mind back to Martinez first season, we pressed teams brutally and incessantly until like mid season, then we stopped pressing and we became gash

Pressing is the way to play. If you cast your mind back to Martinez first season, we pressed teams brutally and incessantly until like mid season, then we stopped pressing and we became gash
...Arsenal away. Camped in their half. I dont think I've seen a better performance from an Everton team for a couple of decades, given the status of the opposition at that time and being away from home. Arsenal couldn't get their breath...or the ball.

...Arsenal away. Camped in their half. I dont think I've seen a better performance from an Everton team for a couple of decades, given the status of the opposition at that time and being away from home. Arsenal couldn't get their breath...or the ball.

Best performance under Martinez and to be fair there were a few, especially in that first season and in Europe. Shame he couldn't keep it up, personally I would have liked to have seen him really succeed as he seems a good guy.

Omg is this the same Davek i had so many disagreements with over martinez! ha that Arsenal performance is the best Everton performance i have ever seen. We were immense that day, easily the best in my lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.