Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Moshiri would entertain this idea tbh based on absolutely nothing, He's took over the club got his manager and stadium in the works, I think others like DBB/BK would reject it though.
It's weird though. There's only 2 teams who would benefit from the changes. The other 7 teams might have a short term uplift in value, but long term it's only going one way.

The more I think about it the more I believe this is all about securing constant access to whatever the future CL looks like for the 'big 6'.

That is the endgame and will need a rule change at some point to the qualifying criteria, be it through historic performance in CL or rolling 5 year league position, both of which have been mooted as concepts already in the past.

They can't expect to get the power they have asked for, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the compromise (real) proposition relates to this area.

Yes even inferring, from reading between the lines, from the article the journo who broke the story, Sam Wallace, wrote this morning....(ahead of the shareholders vote of premier league clubs on Wednesday)

Of the seven clubs who aren't (as yet) thought to be opposed, 'the big six' and ourselves.

.... a quote from the article says

'(what) is not yet clear is how prepared the other four members of the so-called big six - Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City - would be to back the plan. There are also questions over Everton’s intentions - the club has ambitions of reaching the Champions League and would qualify for “special voting rights” under PBP owing to its longevity in the top flight'

You can infer that the support of the others is far from a foregone conclusion, and each may well have objections

It's likely the proposals will be rejected. If even one of the big six is opposed then it's completely dead and not going to be resurrected in its current form. I think we should be absolutely non-committal. As it stands this is going to be shot down without any need for us to play our cards.

From a selfish point of view we need this sort of development, dressed up as reform, put on the long shoulder until the point we have our house in order commercially and on the pitch. At minimum that means until the stadium is delivered.

We should commit to help funding clubs in need through some kind of solidarity fund administered by the FA, not as a glorified threat/bribe that the current proposals represent.

Of course the EFL clubs are going to love it. Let’s face it, none of them will ever be competing for major honours anyway.

Why should the likes of Everton, Aston Villa, etc, clubs that have more league titles than Chelsea, Man City & Spurs lose our future so the likes of Burton can carry on plodding along?

Quite.

Free money. Whats not to like.

Not saying they shouldnt get help, but not with the cost of 6 clubs controlling football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back