2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thing with Benitez is I just don't think he was the right choice at all so I wouldn't care if we cut him adrift. He's not a good manager anymore mate. He used to be, now he isn't. I'm not saying we can attract the best of the best, I know we can't, but I think we could have got a coach who could elevate the players we have. The squad is crap, but we do have some good players in it and some average ones who with the right approach are definitely not mid-table fodder - they could push top 7/8, as proved last year, and I don't think Ancelotti's approach was the best either btw.

Galtier was interested, but we didn't even interview the bloke. Benitez was just a crap appointment based on the last 5 years. I hoped I was wrong but I don't think I am.

But say Galtier came in and had the same problems as the last 5 managers before him - would we be calling for his head? Probably and thats the issue we don't give a manager any time anymore to build anything.

Benitez may or may not be the right choice - but to pay him off now snookers us financially which we cant afford. If the fans genuinely worry about where we are as a club they need to be backing the fella not making it even more difficult because wouldn't it be ironic the money used to pay him off is what tips us over the FFP edge and a 6 point deduction saw us go down?

Could those same fans live with themselves knowing they contributed to our relegation?

The practical difference is cash for league placings. In the long run it probably doesn't have a massive impact. But you always want to see signs of progression and that means year on year improvement. We look like we are regressing at an alarming rate.

Sometimes you need to go back to go forwards, but I see nothing to suggest there is any chance of this improving soon. The football is abysmal, the results are dreadful, the morale is rock bottom, and the overriding emotion is apathy. We can't defend and can't score goals, and the manager is stubborn. We are going absolutely nowhere until changes are made.
It has almost no practical significance. Another factor is that the distribution of points varies from season to season.

The questions I would ask are the following:

Can we recognize some of the principles that the manager wants to implement in the matches?

- Yes, we can. See previous discussion.

What kind of factors are behind the results?

-Well, bad results correlate with injuries on a number of key players.

-On statistics that look a little behind the results, we do not really do so badly.

How is the financial situation, and how much have we invested in players this season?

- The financial situation is limited at the moment, and can not invest much money in players. Must get rid of players first.

- Has invested very little in players this season. The economy is limited.

What has been the situation for the club in recent seasons?

- Lack of stability. Many managers with different philosophies. Left with mediocre players on large salaries who are difficult to get rid of / or who have not had their potential unleashed due to a lack of stability in the system.

These are some questions that I would ask, and not just based solely on results from a fairly small sample.

But say Galtier came in and had the same problems as the last 5 managers before him - would we be calling for his head? Probably and thats the issue we don't give a manager any time anymore to build anything.

Benitez may or may not be the right choice - but to pay him off now snookers us financially which we cant afford. If the fans genuinely worry about where we are as a club they need to be backing the fella not making it even more difficult because wouldn't it be ironic the money used to pay him off is what tips us over the FFP edge and a 6 point deduction saw us go down?

Could those same fans live with themselves knowing they contributed to our relegation?

I don't see us getting a points deduction, but that 10 million we have to spend to fire Benitez and the x amount of million that we pay compo to get another one in could be better spent in January on things we actually need...like new players!!

A manager needs time to come in, clear out the dross and bring in players capable of performing.

Sacking Benitez after 6 months will leave us in a scenario where some players are onto their 7th manager with Everton. How can a manager get a proper understanding of his squad, and build it, when he's just got pieces from the remaining ones, like Tosun, Delph, Iwobi etc, who might not fit the system.

When Moyes came in, he was able to haul out players like Gascoigne, Ginola etc and make his own stamp on it.

Give him a go. When we're full strength we'll be more than fine. But the panic is ridiculous. The fella has literally stopped assessed where the issue could lie and already started making moves, such as moving Donachie on.

Like if you compare it to about 16 other teams in the league.

I watch footy for a living. We're one of the worst teams I have seen play football mate. We're crap. And Benitez isn't helping, he's going to make it worse. Look at his idea of a system??? It's 4-4-1-1 like it's 2006 and he's so stubborn that he's now playing our only decent, fit winger in the one behind the striker.
That is your subjective opinion. See my answer in another discussion.

4-4-1-1 is widely used. Many who use this formation, and have gained a kind of renaissance in recent years. Manchester city sometimes defends itself in this formation. The player behind the striker usually has the job of taking out the opponent's No. 6.

So what you are saying is that the only reason we cant sack him is because it would screw us due to FFP?

On this point I will concede, I dont ever want to see us relegated but essentially, you are saying that he will be sacked or at least should be, No?

I sense a slight wavering in your stance.

A manager needs time to come in, clear out the dross and bring in players capable of performing.

Sacking Benitez after 6 months will leave us in a scenario where some players are onto their 7th manager with Everton. How can a manager get a proper understanding of his squad, and build it, when he's just got pieces from the remaining ones, like Tosun, Delph, Iwobi etc, who might not fit the system.

When Moyes came in, he was able to haul out players like Gascoigne, Ginola etc and make his own stamp on it.

Give him a go. When we're full strength we'll be more than fine. But the panic is ridiculous. The fella has literally stopped assessed where the issue could lie and already started making moves, such as moving Donachie on.

The sensible fans like you and I know this mate - but you're talking to a brick wall with the loud minority who cant get past the LFC connection.

Thankfully the majority seem to acknowledge the wider issues and are preparing to give him time. Even twitter which is a cesspit largely most of the comments ive seen from supporters is a long the lines of saying he needs time.

If he'd won one in nine mate any manager would be under pressure. But look at his recent track record... I don't think that'd have happened.

I look at Benitez's recent record. He went on a run of 2 wins in 16 games in China, mate...

That is your subjective opinion. See my answer in another discussion.

4-4-1-1 is widely used. Many who use this formation, and have gained a kind of renaissance in recent years. Manchester city sometimes defends itself in this formation. The player behind the striker usually has the job of taking out the opponent's No. 6.
But Everton - in this current guise - play the system like it is 2006. The '1' behind the striker is a player totally unsuited to playing there as we don't have that player in the squad. Gray is the closest to it but he gets a bit bogged down there. But then the issue is our wingers are too deep so playing Richarlison wide left means he's pretty much on top of the left-back.

Our full-backs are being told to stay back so there's no natural width that way, meaning the wingers stay really wide. That means there's a 20-yard gap between all of our players and they aren't the best of passers anyway. Our midfield has no energy to get forward to plug those gaps like City do, for example, even with Doucoure fit it's asking a hell of a lot of him.

It isn't working and isn't going to work.

[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I feel like we are going back quickly at the minute. There has been a big regression this season.

It's very simple for Benitez. Results have to get better and quickly.

I think we're in bad form due to a number of issues. The Villa and Watford games are the cause for concern IMO which I think Rafael knows (character of player, system etc), the others I didn't (City is a giveaway, Wolves turned into form, West Ham was fairly equal).

I don't think we're going backwards, the same problems are still there from previous seasons. We at least now have pace and goals from midfield. We're still short in defence but that is a transfer issue.

Benitez will probably need to just revert to boring defensive football, get a couple of clean sheets then look to improve when players come back.

Nothing to panic about. It's just gonna be a bit poo

The sensible fans like you and I know this mate - but you're talking to a brick wall with the loud minority who cant get past the LFC connection.

Thankfully the majority seem to acknowledge the wider issues and are preparing to give him time. Even twitter which is a cesspit largely most of the comments ive seen from supporters is a long the lines of saying he needs time.

He left over a decade ago. He's managed 6 sides since.

He has came in, with the interest of making Everton a good side, and I saw evidence at the start to suggest he's doing it. The reality is, the side needs gutting. Whether Benitez is the right person for it, who knows, but until you move on the dross... your Davies, Holgates, Gomes' etc.. you're never getting anywhere. Nothing players who are systemically part of the reason we're midtable fodder.

Sacking Benitez now, adds Gray and Townsend to a mishmash of ex-managers players who ultimate don't work.

Klopp got 18 months to work on it. Guardiola got 18 months. Why as Evertonians do we give the manager 4 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.