2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I’d agree on that. We have had a problem bringing through youth players for a while though and it strikes me we just aren’t producing good enough quality through the academy. You’d think a club the size of Everton could attract some very good young players and bring them through with the promise of PL footy. But no, we’ll sign Rondon instead lol
Issue with the U23's imo is Unsworth used them as his personal CV by trying to win trophies rather than get players ready for the 1st team.
Seen an article today saying Brands has ordered them to start playing the same formation as the 1st team. WTF, no wonder very few are ready when needed.

I'm seeing an awful lot of shouts for U23 players to be played in these exceptional circumstances the team finds itself in.
I can only say it as I see it, and admittedly it's only via the screening of their matches, but it frightens me to think that we're looking to depend on some of those kids as they're nowhere ready for the first team squad.

Thats fine and im sure many who follow the u23 games will agree.

Heres the kicker...

A: Do we play Rondon + Iwobi who we know are absolutely dire and its going to be murder to the eyes and they will negatively affect the other 9 players.

Or B throw in 2 kids and rotate them when theyre tired for 2 more? They can run, they will be eager to impress and show desire.

I know what i would do.

Issue with the U23's imo is Unsworth used them as his personal CV by trying to win trophies rather than get players ready for the 1st team.
Seen an article today saying Brands has ordered them to start playing the same formation as the 1st team. WTF, no wonder very few are ready when needed.
Yeah there’s clearly a problem with the academy at the minute. Over my lifetime as an Everton fan we always brought through some decent talent. Unsworth, Jeffers, Hibbert, Vaughan and Cadamarteri all came in and had some sort of impact on the first team even if only on a limited basis. I exclude Rooney from that as he was a freak in terms of talent.

But if Kenny is the best we can do at RB from the academy I don’t blame Benitez for sticking with Coleman!!!

Are we seeing this? You highlight the shots per possession stat but isn't that artificially bolstered by the fact that we have so little possession? The only team I can think of that are happy to cede so much possession and be successful is Atletico Madrid and we definitely don't have their level of personnel.
Yes, but it shows that we are far more direct than we were last year. Benitez wants the ball to be played quickly vertically. Which in itself does not say much or guarantees success, but if we look at the number of shots, and analyze the quality of the chances, xG, then we see a pattern. As previously mentioned, we did not have a single counterattack goal last season, but this season we have already scored 3.

So what Benitez is trying to implement is modern football, where transitions are the key. However, we are still on the most primitive / basic part of the model, but like all models you have to start from scratch. Injuries and limited quality of the players naturally prevent the model from becoming more advanced, but this is where stability is a key factor.

Eventually, the players will return from injury, and we will buy more players with the right quality. It is possible that I am a little too optimistic, but in contrast to the period under Ancelotti, I now see that we have a model that is sustainable, and which in time will become more advanced.

Thats fine and im sure many who follow the u23 games will agree.

Heres the kicker...

A: Do we play Rondon + Iwobi who we know are absolutely dire and its going to be murder to the eyes and they will negatively affect the other 9 players.

Or B throw in 2 kids and rotate them when theyre tired for 2 more? They can run, they will be eager to impress and show desire.

I know what i would do.
I can't imagine what I was on to make me think that Rondon would be any sort of an asset for us and Iwobi just seems so muscle bound and can't control his movements.
So despite what I said, yes I would play Simms up front in place of Rondon. If there is someone playing a similar role as Iwobi then again, get them in. I'm not certain they'd change the results but you're right when you say at least you'd see effort and willing.

We replaced James Rodriguez with Andros Townsend.

That sums it up.

I know why that had to happen, and I think Townsend has been alright. But that's just it, he's just 'alright'.

Benitez's style of play, all season, has been as drab as Ancelotti's was in the back half of last season (which was brought on by injuries, btw). Unfortunately it hasn't been as effective. Our defence, as a collective and individually, looks far worse/less organised. Our attack just isn't an attack because we can't keep the ball long enough to build attacks, whether we're playing Watford or Man City, and that's not just due to the injuries btw. We were bad at it when we had them all fit, we just had moments of quality to shine through.

We had all the same players out injured at different stages last season and were 4th in March.
Look I loved watching James as much as anyone

But he plays in Qatar now and that tells you alll you need to know about how serious football clubs feel about him at this stage of his career

But he plays in Qatar now and that tells you alll you need to know about how serious football clubs feel about him at this stage of his career
He was a luxury we just couldn’t afford sadly. Not necessarily his wages but the fact he would play about half our games per season! Had some blinding moments though!

That’s right and the fact that Benitez and Rondon had to go to China to get contracts quite possibly also ‘tells you all you need to know about how serious football clubs feel about them at this stage of their careers ‘

If we are playing hypothetical situations right now can I join?

Benitez play the kids, they don't play well, Everton lose a few matches.

"Why is he playing the kids? He has Iwobi who the players voted most skilful and Rondon who he signed? He has Tom Davies who was our top prospect 5 years ago. No excuses. Terrible team he picked. We need some experience in the side, the kids cannot cope with the pressure, it's obvious they are not ready. He doesn't have a clue and just gambling with the kids."

Fat fat fat! Pig pig pig! Sack sack sack!

Am i doing it right?

If we are playing hypothetical situations right now can I join?

Benitez play the kids, they don't play well, Everton lose a few matches.

"Why is he playing the kids? He has Iwobi who the players voted most skilful and Rondon who he signed? He has Tom Davies who was our top prospect 5 years ago. No excuses. Terrible team he picked. We need some experience in the side, the kids cannot cope with the pressure, it's obvious they are not ready. He doesn't have a clue and just gambling with the kids."

Fat fat fat! Pig pig pig! Sack sack sack!

Am i doing it right?
?

That’s right and the fact that Benitez and Rondon had to go to China to get contracts quite possibly also ‘tells you all you need to know about how serious football clubs feel about them at this stage of their careers ‘

Yet again... Rafael had a number of clubs who were after him in the summer. So going to China made no difference to his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.