2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, we'd be sacking Eddie Howe et al for the same reason now anyway. Wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference, just like how we'll be sacking the next one within 12 months.

This appointment was doomed from the minute it was made. We can claim to be of high moral standing and be as objective as we like, but appointing a Liverpool legend was never going to work, even with the best will in the world.

What has happened was obvious. Anyone with even a slight bit of common sense could have predicted this. It wasn't a gamble, it was shooting ourselves in the foot. At least with a pure gamble there is a small, maybe 10% chance of someone getting it right.

The next manager has the simple advantage that they do not carry the baggage of Benitez. Expectations are also at rock bottom, they are even worse than they were under David Unsworth in 2017. So the next manager will get some time, and certainly more than is usually the case at Everton.

Not really, we'd be sacking Eddie Howe et al for the same reason now anyway. Wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference, just like how we'll be sacking the next one within 12 months.

Hmmm, I suppose I see both sides.

Benitez was simply the wrong pick for a whole host of reasons. The primary one for me being he's not very good. I don't really care about the Liverpool thing but I won't be stupid and say it isn't a factor for a lot of people, I know it is. Just for me, if you're going to appoint a manager with that history, you better make sure the trade off is worth it, especially with a fanbase like ours that doesn't exactly let things go easily. But Benitez isn't good enough to make that trade off, and I've been consistent on that since June.

I do think he's a good coach, I just don't think he's a good manager for 2021. I keep saying it but the more I see of him I think the more he should have been tasked with coming in, replacing Brands and being a DoF. I just think that's where he's at in his career.

Now, the flip side to your argument mate is 'Eddie Howe et al' shouldn't be the alternative to Benitez. There were tons of options but our club is hopeless.

Galtier is a manager who is right now at the very top of his game. Yes, he's maybe not world class, but he's probably peaking as a manager or about to. He literally won a title in a supposedly one-horse league without any money, after having built that Lille term over the last three seasons. He's now taking a Nice side that were floundering in mid-table and got them second. Sure, there's perhaps only so far he can take them but for me he should have been a leading candidate. He builds defences first but they have the attacks to match, he's basically what Graham Potter wants to be.

Then you've got managers in Spain who have impressed with smaller clubs in a very Benitez-like way, but are younger managers, so there's room to grow and if you are going to use the DoF system correctly that shouldn't matter. The issue there is if the job is too big for them (like with Silva), so I totally understand that.

Even a manager like Valentin Ismael could have been a very Moyes-like option in the sense he's a coach who has impressed in the Championship, got Barnsley playing a very different, good style of footy that also got results, btw, within months, and he's done the same at West Brom - albeit hard to judge given their budget compared to others in that league.

Alternatively, if you do go for full experience, just go for Favre, all out. A coach who like Benitez isn't afraid to call things out and rip things up, but unlike Benitez has actually been very decent for the last 5 years.

Now I don't know if Benitez is going to go or not. I still want to avoid that right now because it means we'll keep losing games and I don't want to keep losing games. But if we don't beat Liverpool it's no wins in 8 league matches, if we don't beat Arsenal it's no wins in 9 and 1 win in 12 in all comps. No manager survives a run like that, and while the main issues at Everton are not on him, he's part of the current problem and right now, he's the only person who can start coming up with solutions on the pitch, because that's his job. Come January, we can point a finger at Brands when inevitably we get no players in and loan out Richarlison to PSG.

Im no big fan of Rafael.
However, even though it’s crap at the moment I don’t think another change of manager will help our current plight as relegation fodder.

I’m hoping and praying for a positive performance and result tomorrow will give everyone the lift we do desperately need.

The current situation is not Rafael’s fault. Everyone should remember that.

The board need to take a long hard look at themselves… they’ve messed up big time.

Hmmm, I suppose I see both sides.

Benitez was simply the wrong pick for a whole host of reasons. The primary one for me being he's not very good. I don't really care about the Liverpool thing but I won't be stupid and say it isn't a factor for a lot of people, I know it is. Just for me, if you're going to appoint a manager with that history, you better make sure the trade off is worth it, especially with a fanbase like ours that doesn't exactly let things go easily. But Benitez isn't good enough to make that trade off, and I've been consistent on that since June.

I do think he's a good coach, I just don't think he's a good manager for 2021. I keep saying it but the more I see of him I think the more he should have been tasked with coming in, replacing Brands and being a DoF. I just think that's where he's at in his career.

Now, the flip side to your argument mate is 'Eddie Howe et al' shouldn't be the alternative to Benitez. There were tons of options but our club is hopeless.

Galtier is a manager who is right now at the very top of his game. Yes, he's maybe not world class, but he's probably peaking as a manager or about to. He literally won a title in a supposedly one-horse league without any money, after having built that Lille term over the last three seasons. He's now taking a Nice side that were floundering in mid-table and got them second. Sure, there's perhaps only so far he can take them but for me he should have been a leading candidate. He builds defences first but they have the attacks to match, he's basically what Graham Potter wants to be.

Then you've got managers in Spain who have impressed with smaller clubs in a very Benitez-like way, but are younger managers, so there's room to grow and if you are going to use the DoF system correctly that shouldn't matter. The issue there is if the job is too big for them (like with Silva), so I totally understand that.

Even a manager like Valentin Ismael could have been a very Moyes-like option in the sense he's a coach who has impressed in the Championship, got Barnsley playing a very different, good style of footy that also got results, btw, within months, and he's done the same at West Brom - albeit hard to judge given their budget compared to others in that league.

Alternatively, if you do go for full experience, just go for Favre, all out. A coach who like Benitez isn't afraid to call things out and rip things up, but unlike Benitez has actually been very decent for the last 5 years.

Now I don't know if Benitez is going to go or not. I still want to avoid that right now because it means we'll keep losing games and I don't want to keep losing games. But if we don't beat Liverpool it's no wins in 8 league matches, if we don't beat Arsenal it's no wins in 9 and 1 win in 12 in all comps. No manager survives a run like that, and while the main issues at Everton are not on him, he's part of the current problem and right now, he's the only person who can start coming up with solutions on the pitch, because that's his job. Come January, we can point a finger at Brands when inevitably we get no players in and loan out Richarlison to PSG.

No elite/world class manager is coming here any time soon. We have to find the next top manager before they are established and allow them to rebuild the club.

That won't happen if Moshiri is in any way involved in the recruitment process.

No elite/world class manager is coming here any time soon. We have to find the next top manager before they are established and allow them to rebuild the club.

That also means the fans accepting someone who is not a big name and having some realism. We've tried Koeman, we've tried Ancelotti, we've tried Benitez, and we are midtable fodder, or perhaps worse than midtable.

There is no top name coming so we need to find someone and allow them to become a top name in management. That is not easy and takes a long term vision.

Galtier was interested. I reckon Favre - who very, very nearly took the Palace job before getting cold feet - would have come.

We didn't even try, and I know that for a fact on Galtier. Can't be sure on Favre that we didn't put feelers out but like I said, he was very close to Palace, contract was written up and everything.

Those are two excellent managers that were available. Galtier maybe always swayed towards Nice but he's ambitious and he knows the Premier League is where he might need to go to prove how good he is.

Galtier was interested. I reckon Favre - who very, very nearly took the Palace job before getting cold feet - would have come.

We didn't even try, and I know that for a fact on Galtier. Can't be sure on Favre that we didn't put feelers out but like I said, he was very close to Palace, contract was written up and everything.

Those are two excellent managers that were available. Galtier maybe always swayed towards Nice but he's ambitious and he knows the Premier League is where he might need to go to prove how good he is.

I'm not against Favre at all, but I'd prefer someone a bit younger with more long term upside.

I mean, if there was an actual plan in place, then we wouldn’t be chopping and changing managers every 12-18 months

To be fair, I think there was a plan with Benitez. I think they want a project over several years with a high profile manager to see what happens. When Ancelotti went, that threw a massive spanner in the works, so they went as like for like as possible with the replacement.

If/when we bin Benitez, there's no continuation of that plan, there's no one else available of that profile. So as BlueToff says above you're left with gambles like Galtier, and my personal view is that if you throw a manager with no knowledge of the league into the job here with that bunch of tossers we charitably call 'footballers' on the books then it's a recipe for disaster.

But whatever, we're screwed regardless. Best we can hope for is survival in the league at this point, whoever the manager is.

Thats debatable - Favre has done little in his career and Galtier for the good job he did with Lille hasn't had a glittering career either and isn't proven outside of a fairly average league (PSG and Lyon aside).

I did want Galtier though but I was under no illusions that he was some top manager as I dont think he is. There are about 5 top managers out there truth be told and the rest flutter from club to club winning the odd thing if the team they have is good enough.

I think people get bogged down too much with managers and their "name".

This appointment was doomed from the minute it was made. We can claim to be of high moral standing and be as objective as we like, but appointing a Liverpool legend was never going to work, even with the best will in the world.

What has happened was obvious. Anyone with even a slight bit of common sense could have predicted this. It wasn't a gamble, it was shooting ourselves in the foot. At least with a pure gamble there is a small, maybe 10% chance of someone getting it right.

The next manager has the simple advantage that they do not carry the baggage of Benitez. Expectations are also at rock bottom, they are even worse than they were under David Unsworth in 2017. So the next manager will get some time, and certainly more than is usually the case at Everton.
With the added benefit of riding the crest of a wave of apathy by the time it happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.