2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was a great performance. Given what we had available and it was just frustrating we didn't have that real quality up top to make our chances count.

Yesterday - along with the Brighton game - are the first times I've seen us really look very organised defensively. I think it helped that we were able to sit deep, that always helps Keane look better and, to an extent, Mina. We saw that last year but we were very good from set-pieces yesterday which has been a concern for me so far this season so that was good to see. Still iffy defending crosses, mainly Keane, too easily losing Cavani a few times.

If we can start merging this defensive organisation with more quality up front - when we get our better attackers back - then we're onto something. It's that what Carlo never managed in the back half of last season.

Seen a lot of daft criticism of Ancelotti saying we never saw resilient performances like this last season. We absolutely did. The issue came when he had to blend the two styles together. But I'm hopeful Benitez can improve on that.

Yesterday was a great performance. Given what we had available and it was just frustrating we didn't have that real quality up top to make our chances count.

Yesterday - along with the Brighton game - are the first times I've seen us really look very organised defensively. I think it helped that we were able to sit deep, that always helps Keane look better and, to an extent, Mina. We saw that last year but we were very good from set-pieces yesterday which has been a concern for me so far this season so that was good to see. Still iffy defending crosses, mainly Keane, too easily losing Cavani a few times.

If we can start merging this defensive organisation with more quality up front - when we get our better attackers back - then we're onto something. It's that what Carlo never managed in the back half of last season.

Seen a lot of daft criticism of Ancelotti saying we never saw resilient performances like this last season. We absolutely did. The issue came when he had to blend the two styles together. But I'm hopeful Benitez can improve on that.
The problem with Ancelotti resilient performances if we went behind it was always going to be a struggle to get a goal back, If went ahead we were usually sound.

The problem with Ancelotti resilient performances if we went behind it was always going to be a struggle to get a goal back, If went ahead we were usually sound.

Yep, that was my criticism last season. It was always on the first goal. That's because he struggled to merge the defensive organisation with attacking play. Let's not forget, we had plenty of injury issues to contend with last season too.

We do look fitter as a team in games now, the players look like they can go for longer. We need to get our injured players back fit though and the medical department still needs an overhaul, as they aren't good enough.

And if we actually do have 'ambishun lad', then we need to go out and get players in January. We don't have to spend £££££, but we need players.

Like you say Toff, you pop Richarlison or DCL (or both) in that team yesterday and I think we win that game and win it comfortably.

I don't think we were even that deep tbh, compared to how deep I've seen us play over the years. That was as good an away performance at Old Trafford for many a year yesterday so credit to the manager for setting them up in such a way. Once we scored that equaliser I felt the players grew in confidence massively and there was only one winner for me and that could and should have been us.

He's purchased an absolute donkey in Rondon and nothing is going to change my mind about that, but Gray is a fantastic buy and Townsend looks to be another quality purchase. In a short space of time I think he's got the team set up really well all things considered.

Everton now average 40.1% possession, the lowest in the PL, they also average the second lowest passes per game, playing only 2 more passes per game than sluggers Burnley.

UGLY football will eventually catch up to you.
The Leicester Prem Winning Team say Hi.

It's obviously early days, but Senor Benitez has certainly made an immediate impact helped hugely by his two bargain basement buys, Gray and Townsend. Perhaps the biggest tribute to our Iberian overlord and his transfer market picks is that they have utterly obscured the fact that we were without both DCL and Richarlison, among others, for a series of games. Their immediate influence has shown up some of our "star" players who drift in and out of form at alarming rates over a campaign. While Gray and Townsend will also have to find consistency, the biggest service they have done us to date is show the likes of Richarlison that he has to do more - because he's really not been as sorely missed as a player with his ego/potential might have been. For DCL, critical as his goals have been, we have got by without him. Both of these players must now return knowing that they are not quite as indispensable as perhaps they felt they were in some of their more self-aggrandising moments. I hope they are motivated to show everyone what we thought we would miss...but didn't really.

Status
Not open for further replies.