2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce has left the toons, so watch this space will Benitez do as indicated and stay with us?
Think they seem to have moved on to other targets. Personally think whoever takes over from Bruce will be a short lived appointment. They’ll burn through managers trying to get CL footy.

I don’t want Benitez to leave but mainly because it would be an utter farce and we’d have to go through the same stupid process as the summer and end up with nobody any better.

I never called for Ancelotti to be sacked - the reality started to dawn on me towards the end of his tenure that we are a club going nowhere.

The PL has 6 clubs and everything in football/the system is designed to keep those clubs relevant from FFP, Profit and Sustainably, the future ESL, VAR and the gap is only going to get bigger and the only club that could likely gatecrash that cabal and buy themselves into it long term is the Geordies with the oil backing.

Everton have no chance of winning a PL title, very very little chance of a domestic cup / top 4 so that leaves 5th-7th at best which even the great Carlo Fanstastico couldn't manage.

Get on Benitez's back, sack him tomorrow, end of the season, end of the one after that it doesn't matter because no world class replacement is coming in and realistically we aint improving on where we are now.

We're 7th-12th club and have been for a long long time its just taken me a while to accept that.
IMO we blew our chance to become a force with the disaster of an appointment that was Koeman. We’ve been making wrong turn after wrong turn since and now we’re in a bit of a mess in terms of financial rules.

We can still compete but that means signing good young players and trying to build a sustainable model of developing players and selling on instead of trying to bring in 30 year old cast offs from super clubs on ludicrous wages. The margin for error for us is tiny so yes the chances of trophies are fairly slim but probably no worse than the Leicesters of this world. They just have to sort out the way the club operates.

Think they seem to have moved on to other targets. Personally think whoever takes over from Bruce will be a short lived appointment. They’ll burn through managers trying to get CL footy.

I don’t want Benitez to leave but mainly because it would be an utter farce and we’d have to go through the same stupid process as the summer and end up with nobody any better.
They might be wise to get someone in on a short term contract simply to secure PL status. Recommend Sam Allardyce...Oh been there already and got sacked :oops:

They might be wise to get someone in on a short term contract simply to secure PL status. Recommend Sam Allardyce...Oh been there already and got sacked :oops:
Can guarantee that whoever comes in there will be in a horrible position until at least January. Fans expectations through the roof and a poor team. Still probably beat us mind! lol

IMO we blew our chance to become a force with the disaster of an appointment that was Koeman. We’ve been making wrong turn after wrong turn since and now we’re in a bit of a mess in terms of financial rules.

We can still compete but that means signing good young players and trying to build a sustainable model of developing players and selling on instead of trying to bring in 30 year old cast offs from super clubs on ludicrous wages. The margin for error for us is tiny so yes the chances of trophies are fairly slim but probably no worse than the Leicesters of this world. They just have to sort out the way the club operates.

Every club wastes money though mate - Man City splurged over £100 million on Ake, Otamendi and Mangala yet can throw £100 million around on a single player. Man Utd can spend £90 million on Pogba, £50 million on Fred etc yet still spend £85 million on Maguire and pay Ronaldo 480k a week despite being hundreds of millions in debt.

Outside of Everton I dont watch the PL barely these days I watch largely the Championship/League One as its proper football - 10+ clubs can compete for the play offs/top spot, no VAR ruining last minute goal celebrations, no corrupt refs favouring certain teams, no prawn sandwich clubs filled with fans with half and half scarfs, no clubs owned by oil gulf states.

If I had my way the PL would split away from the EFL completely with no promotion/relegation like what the ESL will eventually be and we stay out of it. Maybe then we can dream again of seeing us play on an even footing instead of just making up the numbers for a league more scripted than WWE.

But not venturing off topic - my point is Benitez or any other manager has too many odds stacked against them to be expected to deliver this club any kind of success at present.

His job is ultimately 7th-12th and we go again as thats our level regardless of who is sat in the dugout.

Benitez won’t go to Newcastle, he is far too crafty. Whoever goes in there now will be lucky to see the season out. The barcodes will burn their way through about 3 managers in the next 3 years until their playing staff have improved sufficiently for them to tempt the likes of Pep or Conte to take the job.

Imo Benitez would be better off staying put, he has a very decent starting 11 that can match most teams but as usual we are being plagued by injuries , our best starting 11 would replace nearly every one of Newcastle’s starting 11. Obviously that will change as they get to spend money, but then again we will be able to spend money having cleared out some high earners in the summer. I’d say 3-4 decent players we would be in the position to challenge the top 6 quite comfortably. Benitez must have been briefed about money available when he come, I personally think it will work out for the best anyway as he has had chance to assess the squad for half a season, so he will know exactly what he needs. Newcastle will be a very hard job, might get payed better but he would have to earn it, here there was much more on the playing side in place already. Newcastle’s squad currently is shocking.

….that would be an inconvenience but the way some talk on here you’d think we had a prime SAF.

I imagine Newcastle are looking for a progressive, high-profile manager. I’d be shocked if Benitez is anywhere near the top of their shopping list.
You say that even though reports linked the initial deal on the contingency that he must stay as Newcastle's manager. Latest reports all indicate that they are interested and sounded him out but he did not want to break his contract with Everton. If it makes you feel better to think he is unwanted then so be it but i'm willing to bet money that if he leaves Everton now, he goes straight to the top of their shortlist and will probably be announced as their new manager.

You say that even though reports linked the initial deal on the contingency that he must stay as Newcastle's manager. Latest reports all indicate that they are interested and sounded him out but he did not want to break his contract with Everton. If it makes you feel better to think he is unwanted then so be it but i'm willing to bet money that if he leaves Everton now, he goes straight to the top of their shortlist and will probably be announced as their new manager.

…it doesn’t in the least ‘make me feel better to think he’s unwanted’. I wasn’t aware of that being the case and I’m very surprised the new regime would want him. Fair enough if they do.

…it doesn’t in the least ‘make me feel better to think he’s unwanted’. I wasn’t aware of that being the case and I’m very surprised the new regime would want him. Fair enough if they do.
Well they did, according to The Athletic, one of the first thing the new owners wanted to do after taking over was to sign him as their new manager. Some Everton fans might be biased due to his past connections but he is still considered, an elite manager or at the very least a very good manager, by most people in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.