2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvelous to see somebody demanding basic standards at the club for once. Our injury record is a disgrace.

The Senor is saying the unsayable - we are a shambles behind the scenes. This is exactly the kind of mess hiding in plain sight that has to be confronted. I hope he sacks all round him because he's too long in the tooth not to know that if he doesn't they'll take him down with them.

All this talk of relegation is absurd. We’ll recapture our consistency once Richarlison and DCL are both back in the team. Had the RS suffered the injury woes that we have suffered this season they’d be no where near the top 6.

Huge game, though, this Watford one. Consecutive home losses would be very damaging psychologically. We as fans must be the 12th man. No sitting there quietly like they do at the pit. We must be vociferous in our support of our players and we must shout for every decision.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the appointment of R.A.F.A., but obviously as a blue I’ve always been behind him. A couple of weeks ago I bumped into him in Barnston taking a walk with his lovely wife. We spoke for three or four minutes, during which time we discussed his and his wife’s philanthropy and their love of Merseyside. Using my pigeon Spanish I welcomed him to the blue half of Merseyside. I also got his autograph for my grandson. I didn’t have my phone on me so I couldn’t get a selfie. It was literally the only time I have left the house in the last 20 years without my mobile phone - typical! So I have now warmed to him a great deal.

I think that R.A.F.A. is slowly winning over a lot of other blues, too. Yes, we’re currently in no better a position than we were under the great Carlo Ancelotti at this stage last season, but R.A.F.A. has had a truly extraordinary injury list to contend with and he spent less than any other manager in the summer.

He has taken a professional approach and is intent on improving us in every department. It might only reap dividends in the long-term, but we will see the benefit at some point in terms of on-the-field success. He is also ambitious. As he said: eighth spot is not good enough for Everton Football Club. Sadly last year we couldn’t even manage that, under the stewardship of the most decorated manager in history.

Marvelous to see somebody demanding basic standards at the club for once. Our injury record is a disgrace.

The Senor is saying the unsayable - we are a shambles behind the scenes. This is exactly the kind of mess hiding in plain sight that has to be confronted. I hope he sacks all round him because he's too long in the tooth not to know that if he doesn't they'll take him down with them.
I wouldn't go that far, but having someone advocate for marginal improvements across the board is exactly what we need right now.

It seems likely that Moshiri hired him to say exactly this stuff, which is a positive sign from that department. One of the nice things about Rafael is that he's not afraid to burn bridges outside the dressing room if he feels they need to be burned, and he'll burn them inside it if he feels doing that pushes the squad in the right direction.

The problem, as with all managers of his stripe, is that sooner or later he miscalculates. So long as he has backing from above, it's not a problem. Eventually, he'll lose that. It would seem like Moshiri will at least give him the time to make some changes around the club, which is a good thing.

Except that just isn’t football, at all. That’s not how it works at all. Otherwise City would win every single game every single season. Anyway why do you think a defence of Pickford, Digne, Godfrey, Coleman and Michael effing Keane is so rock solid that it can just squash the likes of Son and Kane like ants? We have a right back who’s absolutely finished, a left back who’s playing garbage, a centre back that can’t head a ball and a keeper who on any given day can throw a football into his own net.

You need to seriously get real about our squad and reign your own expectations in a bit. Come back to me when we’ve shown the ability to consistently beat teams below us in the table, because we haven’t since about 2013.

Were creating one of the highest rates of chances in Europe.

Were conceding one of the lowest rates of chances in Europe.

If we cant expect to beat Watford and Wolves then we cant expect to beat anyone, is that what youre saying?

We should beat those two, we also should be able to beat Spurs and Brentford.

Do i think we will win all 4 games and also beat City?

No.

I expect that we 'should' take 10pts from those games and be on 24pts after 13 games.

Then our really hard fixtures kick in.

I wouldn't go that far, but having someone advocate for marginal improvements across the board is exactly what we need right now.

It seems likely that Moshiri hired him to say exactly this stuff, which is a positive sign from that department. One of the nice things about Rafael is that he's not afraid to burn bridges outside the dressing room if he feels they need to be burned, and he'll burn them inside it if he feels doing that pushes the squad in the right direction.

The problem, as with all managers of his stripe, is that sooner or later he miscalculates. So long as he has backing from above, it's not a problem. Eventually, he'll lose that. It would seem like Moshiri will at least give him the time to make some changes around the club, which is a good thing.

He'll have 3 seasons.

This season: Top 6.
Next season: Top 6
3rd season: Top 4

Those will be the aims and I imagine he will be quite ruthless with moving players on in January and the summer.

Also, I expect he has been given assurances that there will be some money to spend next summer and alot of money in summer 2023.

The key for me is whether he is successful (with brands) at moving players on for good fees and then building a new younger squad.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the appointment of R.A.F.A., but obviously as a blue I’ve always been behind him. A couple of weeks ago I bumped into him in Barnston taking a walk with his lovely wife. We spoke for three or four minutes, during which time we discussed his and his wife’s philanthropy and their love of Merseyside. Using my pigeon Spanish I welcomed him to the blue half of Merseyside. I also got his autograph for my grandson. I didn’t have my phone on me so I couldn’t get a selfie. It was literally the only time I have left the house in the last 20 years without my mobile phone - typical! So I have now warmed to him a great deal.

I think that R.A.F.A. is slowly winning over a lot of other blues, too. Yes, we’re currently in no better a position than we were under the great Carlo Ancelotti at this stage last season, but R.A.F.A. has had a truly extraordinary injury list to contend with and he spent less than any other manager in the summer.

He has taken a professional approach and is intent on improving us in every department. It might only reap dividends in the long-term, but we will see the benefit at some point in terms of on-the-field success. He is also ambitious. As he said: eighth spot is not good enough for Everton Football Club. Sadly last year we couldn’t even manage that, under the stewardship of the most decorated manager in history.
R.A.F.A ????

All this talk of relegation is absurd. We’ll recapture our consistency once Richarlison and DCL are both back in the team. Had the RS suffered the injury woes that we have suffered this season they’d be no where near the top 6.

Huge game, though, this Watford one. Consecutive home losses would be very damaging psychologically. We as fans must be the 12th man. No sitting there quietly like they do at the pit. We must be vociferous in our support of our players and we must shout for every decision.
I’m not sure consistency is something that goes because we lose a couple of players and returns when they do ? Personally I think consistency means we maintain a level of performance no matter who is in the squad

He'll have 3 seasons.

This season: Top 6.
Next season: Top 6
3rd season: Top 4

Those will be the aims and I imagine he will be quite ruthless with moving players on in January and the summer.

Also, I expect he has been given assurances that there will be some money to spend next summer and alot of money in summer 2023.

The key for me is whether he is successful (with brands) at moving players on for good fees and then building a new younger squad.
Logic is not highly valued on this forum.

If he changes our outlook from a charitable football club to a successful football club that remains charitable, I’ll be happy.

He’s the only person with the power to break through the nonsense that has gone on for years.

The facht that he managed “them” before is completely irrelevant if he brings success.

Status
Not open for further replies.