Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Funes Mori offers something that is currently lacking in the team...leadership.

Not the most talented but a leader , can do stupid things but wears his heart on his sleeve and can inspire others.

We need players to stand up and be counted...more than anything that is why Coleman is most missed.

I think that Funes Mori offers something that is currently lacking in the team...leadership.

Not the most talented but a leader , can do stupid things but wears his heart on his sleeve and can inspire others.

We need players to stand up and be counted...more than anything that is why Coleman is most missed.

Can't say I've ever seen Mori as a leader. Always just considered him as that bloke who's got a mistake/bad tackle in him.

How bad Williams is doesn't have any impact on my view of Mori. It's a shame to see how far we've gone from having a partnership like Jags and Lescott down the years to this.

True but we have to look at the players we have and really not good, 2 OAPs very poor when selecting the heart of our defence.

All is Forgiven.webp

How bad Williams is doesn't have any impact on my view of Mori. It's a shame to see how far we've gone from having a partnership like Jags and Lescott down the years to this.

Like Jagielka wasn't our resident accident waiting to happen in that partnership.

Mori is as good a centre half as we have got, and it's a real shame he's injured as I think him and Keane together would have the makings of a good partnership.

Mori suffers from an all too familiar flaw in his game that other players have suffered from recently. Frustrating thing is, It's not a flaw he can work on in training. It's not something that will eradicate with age and experience.

The flaw is that he was signed by Martinez, and that's enough for some to label him as not good enough regardless of how he plays.

The way I see it, he is big, aggressive, enthusiastic, plays with a bit of passion, all things Jagielka and Williams have never been.

He can play a bit too (maybe sometimes a bit too much), and his passing is decent, nowhere near as bad as people make out. I mean, people criticise him yet praise Moyes era Jagielka? Because of passing? Seriously?

And he's better in the air than Jagielka and Williams are or have ever been.

It genuinely baffles me how people criticise Mori and go on about how good a Centre Half Jagielka has been, when the reality is, he's been an average nice guy who played alongside 2 excellent partners (Lescott and Distin) in teams that were set out to defend and be hard to beat.

I have genuinely lost count over the years of how many of our goals conceded were deflected in off Jagielkas despairing last minute lunge because he wasn't positioned well in the 1st place.

Or how many times he tried to emulate Heitingas superior passing skills by launching another aimless diagonal pass out for a goal kick. If he wasn't doing that, he was invariably turning on the half way line to pass back to Howard.

They then criticise Mori for attempting to bring the ball out of defence, something Jagielka has never, ever been able to do.
"Just Give it to Baines" they say, but criticise Williams (who is more of a crab than Jagielka) for constantly giving the ball to Baines and getting it straight back because Backwards Baines hasn't been interested or up to scratch for years.

"Baines only gives it back to Williams because there's no movement in front of him" they say... No, Baines gives it backwards because there's no PIENAAR in front of him, and Mori suffered the same fate.

But when he actually tried to make something happen himself, he gets crucified for it. He should just play it simple. To Baines. Who will give him it straight back to him under increasing pressure.

Compare that to Jagielka who has had the pleasure of Coleman in front of him, a willing runner, someone who pulls players away, creates space, will chase any and every aimless pass down the wing like it was his last.

The fact is, Baines and Jagielka have both needed replacing for some time now, and because they haven't, we are now seeing the wheels fall off, and the newer, younger, fitter players are taking the blame because of what they accomplished best part of a decade ago.

But they weren't signed by Martinez, so they get a free pass. No matter how bad they are.

Like Jagielka wasn't our resident accident waiting to happen in that partnership.

Mori is as good a centre half as we have got, and it's a real shame he's injured as I think him and Keane together would have the makings of a good partnership.

Mori suffers from an all too familiar flaw in his game that other players have suffered from recently. Frustrating thing is, It's not a flaw he can work on in training. It's not something that will eradicate with age and experience.

The flaw is that he was signed by Martinez, and that's enough for some to label him as not good enough regardless of how he plays.

The way I see it, he is big, aggressive, enthusiastic, plays with a bit of passion, all things Jagielka and Williams have never been.

He can play a bit too (maybe sometimes a bit too much), and his passing is decent, nowhere near as bad as people make out. I mean, people criticise him yet praise Moyes era Jagielka? Because of passing? Seriously?

It genuinely baffles me how people criticise Mori and go on about how good a Centre Half Jagielka has been, when the reality is, he's been an average nice guy who played alongside 2 excellent partners (Lescott and Distin) in teams that were set out to defend and be hard to beat.

I have genuinely lost count over the years of how many of our goals conceded were deflected in off Jagielkas despairing last minute lunge because he wasn't positioned well in the 1st place.

Or how many times he tried to emulate Heitingas superior passing skills by launching another aimless diagonal pass out for a goal kick. If he wasn't doing that, he was invariably turning on the half way line to pass back to Howard.

They then criticise Mori for attempting to bring the ball out of defence, something Jagielka has never, ever been able to do.
"Just Give it to Baines" they say, but criticise Williams (who is more of a crab than Jagielka) for constantly giving the ball to Baines and getting it straight back because Backwards Baines hasn't been interested or up to scratch for years.

"Baines only gives it back to Williams because there's no movement in front of him" they say... No, Baines gives it backwards because there's no PIENAAR in front of him, and Mori suffered the same fate.

But when he actually tried to make something happen himself, he gets crucified for it. He should just play it simple. To Baines. Who will give him it straight back to him under increasing pressure.

Compare that to Jagielka who has had the pleasure of Coleman in front of him, a willing runner, someone who pulls players away, creates space, will chase any and every aimless pass down the wing like it was his last.

The fact is, Baines and Jagielka have both needed replacing for some time now, and because they haven't, we are now seeing the wheels fall off, and the newer, younger, fitter players are taking the blame because of what they accomplished best part of a decade ago.

But they weren't signed by Martinez, so they get a free pass. No matter how bad they are.

I'm sorry but this is complete rubbish. Jagielka at his peak was so much better than Mori, it's not even worth debating.

I don't criticise Mori for being anything other than your bog standard defender from South America. He's not awful, he's not brilliant. He should be playing for a club who start every year with the first objective being to stay in the league.

The problem for some is the fact funes is a foreigner.

Make of that what you will

I'm sorry but this is complete rubbish. Jagielka at his peak was so much better than Mori, it's not even worth debating.

I don't criticise Mori for being anything other than your bog standard defender from South America. He's not awful, he's not brilliant. He should be playing for a club who start every year with the first objective being to stay in the league.

Which bit Is complete rubbish? Jagielka pumping balls from Right Back position into Street end? Dallying on the ball, turning back at the half way line and passing to Howard? Deflecting countless shots over, under and around Howard and into the net? Not being a great leader? Being an average player in decent, not great sides, alongside bigger, stronger, better defenders? What quality has Jagielka ever had that makes him a top player, other than the fact he's a Top Pro and decent lad, both things you can also attribute to Phil Neville, but Jagielka had less than half the authority.

Mori, you say, is not awful, not brilliant. You basically described Jagielka in that very phrase without knowing it. The difference being Jagielka had the fortune of playing under Moyes in a settled, defensive side, set up to be hard to beat, as opposed to Mori playing in a Martinez side that was often struggling as his inevitable departure grew closer, a side that was admittedly, naive defensively, but would also often include Jagielka.

I don't think there is an objective view of the 2 players individual abilities here, but one that nostalgically recalls the semi highs of one player many years ago under Moyes, and unfairly criticises a young lad from another country playing in a much maligned team in the more recent past.

Which bit Is complete rubbish? Jagielka pumping balls from Right Back position into Street end? Dallying on the ball, turning back at the half way line and passing to Howard? Deflecting countless shots over, under and around Howard and into the net? Not being a great leader? Being an average player in decent, not great sides, alongside bigger, stronger, better defenders? What quality has Jagielka ever had that makes him a top player, other than the fact he's a Top Pro and decent lad, both things you can also attribute to Phil Neville, but Jagielka had less than half the authority.

Mori, you say, is not awful, not brilliant. You basically described Jagielka in that very phrase without knowing it. The difference being Jagielka had the fortune of playing under Moyes in a settled, defensive side, set up to be hard to beat, as opposed to Mori playing in a Martinez side that was often struggling as his inevitable departure grew closer, a side that was admittedly, naive defensively, but would also often include Jagielka.

I don't think there is an objective view of the 2 players individual abilities here, but one that nostalgically recalls the semi highs of one player many years ago under Moyes, and unfairly criticises a young lad from another country playing in a much maligned team in the more recent past.

Our memories of Jagielka in that period couldn't be more polar opposite. You viewed him as an accident waiting to happen, I looked at him as someone who could put in a motm performance pretty much every week when we were under pressure.

I'm not really bothered about Mori. He is what he is and it's there for all to see.

Aye lads, follow my example and get yourself sent off for no reason 3 days before an FA Cup semi.

Such a leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back