Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have been watching Keane jagielka and Williams haven't you

In all seriousness, i think the defense is an easy mark, dont get me wrong i dont think either Williams or Keane have been in form and are both shot of confidence. In a broader context i look at the midfield Morgan and Gueye have been woeful both in transition in attack and also as a defensive screen. Meaning we are far to easily got at. Because of that teams have been attacking at will. The balance of probability is the more your team have to defend the more prone you are to mistake and the more you concede.

If we are looking at talent and defensive ability i think Williams and Keane are far superior players to Mori. They are more stoic and reliable. Thats my personal opinion. Im never confident with Mori in the team. As even without being under siege he is prone to rushes of blood to the head with a mistake or disciplinary issues in him.

In all seriousness, i think the defense is an easy mark, dont get me wrong i dont think either Williams or Keane have been in form and are both shot of confidence. In a broader context i look at the midfield Morgan and Gueye have been woeful both in transition in attack and also as a defensive screen. Meaning we are far to easily got at. Because of that teams have been attacking at will. The balance of probability is the more your team have to defend the more prone you are to mistake and the more you concede.

If we are looking at talent and defensive ability i think Williams and Keane are far superior players to Mori. They are more stoic and reliable. Thats my personal opinion. Im never confident with Mori in the team. As even without being under siege he is prone to rushes of blood to the head with a mistake or disciplinary issues in him.

I always thought if Mori and Keane played together the back four could push up, leaving less space between midfield and defence. Gives Morgan and Gueye less space to cover and gets the full backs closer to midfield to help with transitions. The midfield is being over worked by our deep defence and our strikers inability to hold onto the ball. Mori clearly isn't perfect and always has a mistake in him but would improve our defence at the moment IMO.

I always thought if Mori and Keane played together the back four could push up, leaving less space between midfield and defence. Gives Morgan and Gueye less space to cover and gets the full backs closer to midfield to help with transitions. The midfield is being over worked by our deep defence and our strikers inability to hold onto the ball. Mori clearly isn't perfect and always has a mistake in him but would improve our defence at the moment IMO.

Excellent post mate, i hadnt considered that. What i like about Williams, is that on this run he has showed leadership, in recent weeks he has turned up with goals in the context of a central defender and has never been afraid of the ball. If you look at Weds what was key to our defense was Rooney playing deeper in midfield.

He got on the ball, showed leadership enabled the transition and his decision making and execution was immaculate, he also did brilliant covering work.

It showed the better the midfield the better the defense in my opinion or at least the impact of one on the other. Like i say the balance of probabilities if you keep the ball away from he deference as least as possible your not going to concede as much. Its the first time n a long time we weren't under siege.

Last edited:

I think Sam is best at getting the defensive side of his team right. I think when that happens we will see Williams in the team most weeks.
The problem has been the team as a whole more than one individual doing badly and goalkeepers and defends always look worst.

Headless chicken.

Summed up in a derby at Anfield, where we were getting smashed, and he is more arsed about fist bumping the away fans as he gets sent off than winning. Idiot. He will go in the same camp as Mo "One good flick" Besic, in the unjust "Hard Man" category.

He's poor.

Headless chicken.

Summed up in a derby at Anfield, where we were getting smashed, and he is more arsed about fist bumping the away fans as he gets sent off than winning. Idiot. He will go in the same camp as Mo "One good flick" Besic, in the unjust "Hard Man" category.

He's poor.

Yep.

And yet he's currently our best centre back, one leg and all.

Keane is as bad a signing as the club has made since the '90s.

Mori is nothing special, but at least he's aggressive in the air and has a bit of mobility about him.

Excellent post mate, i hadnt considered that. What i like about Williams, is that on this run he has showed leadership, in recent weeks he has turned up with goals in the context of a central defender and has never been afraid of the ball. If you look at Weds what was key to our defense was Rooney playing deeper in midfield.

He got on the ball, showed leadership enabled the transition and his decision making and execution was immaculate, he also did brilliant covering work.

It showed the better the midfield the better the defense in my opinion or at least the impact of one on the other. Like i say the balance of probabilities if you keep the ball away from he deference as least as possible your not going to concede as much. Its the first time n a long time we weren't under siege.

That's a great point on Rooney, he put in a quality box to box performance on Wed night. Really helped settle Davies as well as the defence I thought. The problem I have with Williams is the deep line were required to play when he's in the team forcing our midfield back to cover, isolating our striker. Just as defence starts from the front, attacks are also started from the back and Williams positioning makes going forward slow and predictable.

A new centre back is more important than a new centre forward in Jan IMO, Mori realistically wont play more than 5 games for us before he goes to Russia to play in the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back