Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally think he’s been very stupid, which shouldn’t be surprising. Doesn’t look the sharpest tool in the shed.

Working earning a very good wage in England despite being injured and he’s posting insentive garbage like that. Use your brain.

He should stick to tweets about barbecuing at midnight instead.

It's spelt " insensitive "

Use your brain.

Didn't see the origin of this outrage, but judging by the number of pages it's generated I'm guessing Mori tried to take back the Falklands by force over the weekend? Guessing from the fume and outrage it was something much worse than just a rogue tweet. Shocking from Mori.

Just to add a bit of context to this thread. I was going through my flying training in the RAF in 1982 so, whilst I never got further south than Ascension Island until after hostilities ceased, I was surrounded by the military build up and felt the loss of life as much as anyone.

Fast forward to 1995 and now employed as a commercial pilot I was asked if I fancied a 2 month detachment to Buenos Aires. I jumped at the chance while making a mental note to 'don't mention the war!'

However, much to my pleasant surprise, on our first night out we were engaged in conversation by some very pleasant Argentinians and, inevitably, the subject of the Falklands cropped up. Amongst our number was an ex Fleet Air Arm Sea Harrier pilot who had more than one kill to his name in the conflict.

But the Argentinians could not have been happier. As they pointed out, quite rightly, before the Falklands they were ruled by a military junta, thousands of people just 'diasappeared' for having the 'wrong' political views, the currency was worthless and everyone lived in fear.

Post Falklands, peace broke out, a democratic government was installed, the peso was tied to the $, nobody was frightened, a packet of cigarettes remained the same price for a year at a time and everyone was looking forward to a bright future.

Maybe a few Argentinian sabre rattlers would do well to remember this.

Very well put.

Just to add a bit of context to this thread. I was going theough my flying training in the RAF in 1982 so, whilst I never got further south than Ascension Island until after hostilities ceased, I was surrounded by the military build up and felt the loss of life as much as anyone.

Fast forward to 1995 and now employed as a commercial pilot I was asked if I fancied a 2 month detachment to Buenos Aires. I jumped at the chance while making a mental note to 'don't mention the war!'

However, much to my pleasant surprise, on our first night out we were engaged in conversation by some very pleasant Argentinians and, inevitably, the subject of the Falklands cropped up. Amongst our number was an ex Fleet Air Arm Sea Harrier pilot who had more than one kill to his name in the conflict.

But the Argentinians could not have been happier. As they pointed out, quite rightly, before the Falklands they were ruled by a military junta, thousands of people just 'diasappeared' for having the 'wrong' political views, the currency was worthless and everyone lived in fear.

Post Falklands, peace broke out, a democratic government was installed, the peso was tied to the $, nobody was frightened, a packet of cigarettes remained the same price for a year at a time and everyone was looking forward to a bright future.

Maybe a few Argentinian sabre rattlers would do well to remember this.

Pretty much. The war was a last minute effort by the Junta to save their waning power and remain in government (would be the dictatorial version of what Thatcher achieved).
The Malvinas remembering is more about those poor kids/men who where conscripted for a war that was lost from the beggining.

Pretty much. The war was a last minute effort by the Junta to save their waning power and remain in government (would be the dictatorial version of what Thatcher achieved).
The Malvinas remembering is more about those poor kids/men who where conscripted for a war that was lost from the beggining.

There is, actually, a strategic consequence of the Falklands conflict that we didn't fully appreciate until several years later.

It must be remembered that the cold war was still going strong at this stage and on several occasions it nearly got very hot, very quickly.

Post Falklands, various nuclear reduction talks and treaties were agreed with the then USSR and we subsequently learned that this was due, at least in part, to the USSR underestimating the determination of Maggie and the British people in general. The USSR initial assessment of the Argentinian invasion was that we would not and could not mount an operation to take the islands back. That we did, and the manner in which we did, caused USSR to perform a total re evaluation of our capabilities and our willpower and brought them to the nuclear negotiating table sooner than would otherwise have been the case.

Just as well, then, that we sent our 'first eleven' south - Guards, Ghurkas, Paras, Royal Marines, SAS, SBS etc.

I agree. Senseless loss of ordinary people’s life on both sides for a war those in power needed to deflect their problems at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back