Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is, actually, a strategic consequence of the Falklands conflict that we didn't fully appreciate until several years later.

It must be remembered that the cold war was still going strong at this stage and on several occasions it nearly got very hot, very quickly.

Post Falklands, various nuclear reduction talks and treaties were agreed with the then USSR and we subsequently learned that this was due, at least in part, to the USSR underestimating the determination of Maggie and the British people in general. The USSR initial assessment of the Argentinian invasion was that we would not and could not mount an operation to take the islands back. That we did, and the manner in which we did, caused USSR to perform a total re evaluation of our capabilities and our willpower and brought them to the nuclear negotiating table sooner than would otherwise have been the case.

Just as well, then, that we sent our 'first eleven' south - Guards, Ghurkas, Paras, Royal Marines, SAS, SBS etc.

A mate of mine served in the Royal Navy during the Falklands war. He saw some pretty horrendous stuff and still has bouts of depression as a result. It’s never left him.......

He still not very good though. No doubt somebody will point out (again) that he’s an Argentinian international. But he’s still rubbish.

"I was shocked to see how angered people were by the tweet. He has every right to voice his opinion and support his country.

“I think it shows integrity. There should be no animosity towards the Argentinians or between the two nations.

“The war was 36 years ago and it is time for us all to move on from it.“

“I was bombed, almost killed and tried to kill throughout my time in the Falklands and I will never forget it but I can move on.”

Quotes from a Falklands army veteren in the Echo. But little Billy from Kirkdale with his Tommy Robinson poster on his bedroom wall, whose scariest place they've ever been is to Benidorm with his nan wants RFM flogged and deported!

"I was shocked to see how angered people were by the tweet. He has every right to voice his opinion and support his country.

“I think it shows integrity. There should be no animosity towards the Argentinians or between the two nations.

“The war was 36 years ago and it is time for us all to move on from it.“

“I was bombed, almost killed and tried to kill throughout my time in the Falklands and I will never forget it but I can move on.”

Quotes from a Falklands army veteren in the Echo. But little Billy from Kirkdale with his Tommy Robinson poster on his bedroom wall, whose scariest place they've ever been is to Benidorm with his nan wants RFM flogged and deported!
Bollocks to them. The lad's a hero.

Up the Malvinas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back