Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they setup to be hard to beat/stay in the game. They wanted to be in the game come the hour mark when they hoped to nick a goal. They couldn't get hold of the ball to do that/their attempts to counter were jumped on.

What surprised me though was their time wasting - not sure what that was all about. Apparently Dean Smith was going bonkers at their keeper for taking ages late on - miscommunication maybe.

So I think they intended to go for a win late on, but couldn't get a kick and went into their shells/time wasting.
Spot on. The plan was obvious to keep the game 0-0 for as long as posible and then try to nick it at the end, and my word they nearly succeeded. That's why Madison and Barnes spent the first half on the bench.

In the circumstances it wasnt the risk/reward was enormous. (in fact there was no risk)
Lose and you have to win the weekend
Draw and you have to win the weekend
Win and your out of the relegation zone and they only had to match ours and Leeds result at the weekend to stay up.
The draw is still better than the loss because it takes Leeds result out of the equation if they win and we lose since they are now above them but yeah in general that doesn’t improve their chances by anything like enough to make that a result worth settling on, they got the risk / reward wrong.

Reactions: JLW
They all will mate. Moyes knows you dont leave plkayers sitting round and getting soft for 3 weeks before a final. The A-team will get trundled out on Sunday.
It’s basically the perfect warm up game for West Ham as well. playing a Leicester team with everything to play for. If West Ham can come through that with a win it will be a massive confidence boost for the final.

I wish I could see last night’s result as positively as some on here - someone said it was a great result.

I get needing a draw can change a team’s mentality, but getting a draw is easier than getting a win. It just is.

If all 3 teams are winning in last few mins, be good to know we can draw + stay up.

Last night gives Leicester hope. It was a point no-one expected them to get + keeps them in the mix. A defeat meant they had to rely on us losing + them winning.

I don’t think Bournemouth will be as on the beach as some think. They've beaten us twice this season + can go to 13th with a win.

I don’t trust this team to win their last home game two years on the bounce + we don’t have DCL or Richarlison.

With 7th place up for grabs (Conference) Villa away at Brighton, leaves Tottingham potentially getting in Europe if they win or even draw at Leeds. Tottingham are 💩 right now but you never know. But Leicester are the more realistic. Simply means we just have to beat Bournemouth. ;)

They haven't won in the last 10 games between them, but they seem to be ignoring that
All runs come to an end though don’t they? We can’t assume because they have failed to win in their last 10 games that they won’t win on Sunday just like it is not reasonable to assume we won’t win. Who’d have thought Forest would beat Arsenal - plenty of people assume they wouldn’t. Brentford have just beaten Spurs at Spurs for the first time since 1948 (not sure over how many games that is)

I think there’s just a bit of a concern that Leicester (more so than Leeds) ends their run and wins (could be justified or by luck and they had plenty of that last night)…meaning we have to win - I personally think we will win this weekend depending on how the injured recover. I could also see one of Leicester or Leeds winning as well. Time will tell. We just need to focus on ourselves.

Last edited:

I wish I could see last night’s result as positively as some on here - someone said it was a great result.

I get needing a draw can change a team’s mentality, but getting a draw is easier than getting a win. It just is.

If all 3 teams are winning in last few mins, be good to know we can draw + stay up.

Last night gives Leicester hope. It was a point no-one expected them to get + keeps them in the mix. A defeat meant they had to rely on us losing + them winning.

I don’t think Bournemouth will be as on the beach as some think. They've beaten us twice this season + can go to 13th with a win.

I don’t trust this team to win their last home game two years on the bounce + we don’t have DCL or Richarlison.
Have to look at it that the team is not going inyo the last game in the bottom 3. Would rather be us than leeds who need both results to go for them, is tough but we can do it

Absolutely.

Moyesie wont want his players to come off the pitch having lost a game. That's not great psychological preparation for a final.
he also wont want any unnecessary injuries.
They'll be playing at 80%, question is, is that enough.
Leicester will have to play on the front foot and that doesn't really suit them, especially against a bottom half team who'll try and counter away from home.

All runs come to an end though do they? We can’t assume because they have failed to win in their last 10 games that they won’t win on Sunday just like it is not reasonable to assume we won’t win. Who’d have thought Forest would beat Arsenal - plenty of people assume they wouldn’t. Brentford have just beaten Sours at Spurs for the first time since 1948 (not sure over how many games that is)

I think there’s just a bit of a concern that Leicester (more so than Leeds) ends their run and wins (could be justified or by luck and they had plenty of that last night)…meaning we have to win - I personally think we will win this weekend depending on how the injured recover. I could also see one of Leicester or Leeds winning as well. Time will tell. We just need to focus on ourselves.

I guess they should win the odd game in the championship, so I agree

Intent in the subs.

But yeah, I was baffled.

Perhaps easier said than done to contain for so long and then try and impose yourself on the game.
It’s one of the strangest games I’ve ever watched, it really was. If you’d told someone with no knowledge of the table that one of those teams needed a point and one needed three which would they have thought was which?

Can just about understand the theory of keeping it tight and playing to nick it 1-0, and admittedly it did nearly happen, but for 85 minutes there was barely even any intent on the counter, and if Newcastle had their shooting boots on it could’ve been three or four. When you see their keeper flipping on the ball like it’s the last minute of a 1-0 win, what instructions were they given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back