Relegation 23/24 Thread

Well the Commission suggested that any breach sees a starting point of 6 and then you consider aggravating factors or mitigating ones. If as rumoured, Forest’s breach is much greater than our £20m then the max deduction of 8 is potentially imposed.

To not impose a greater sanction than we got leaves the whole process even more exposed to ‘you don’t know what you’re doing narrative’. The PL fear that a lot more than a Forest appeal.
If Forest is worse than ours the final position has to be more than the 6 points we got, so if it does come back 8 points then they are potentially getting the same as us or less after appeal.

Always get reduced on appeal.

I just think this PL will send Everton 1st with the biggest punishment and those after get off more leniently.

I think we are getting 2-4 in our second breach, we are not in a position to absorb that aswell such as the results falling off a cliff with a clueless manager who has no idea whatsoever how to turn it around.

But but but we should really be on 67 points.

That 4 win run was a complete anomaly. Great at the time, but in hindsight quite grindy. The form right back of the last 2 seasons gifted us 2 goals in one game then Beto accidentally megsed the keeper while falling over. That game was our season highlight.

That 12 points has been used relentlessly to say our points per game will see us easily safe. No chance. I know you can’t just ignore games to move the stats to fit an argument, but ignoring those 4 games (which were in a tight period) we are easily easily relegation fodder.
We played better than Newcastle in that game, it was a fully deserved win and I don't see what pretending otherwise achieves

We played better than Newcastle in that game, it was a fully deserved win and I don't see what pretending otherwise achieves
We did, that’s fair and true, but the confidence was lifted by 2 horrendous errors, that weren’t particularly forced. Trippier just faffed it. Crowd got up, opposition crumbled.

My issue with constantly referring to that 4 game streak and its impact on our points total (pre deduction) is that was so so long ago. Since mid December, Sheffield United have won more points than us. We are 19th in that particular form table. Ahead of only Burnley.

Last edited:

We did, but the confidence was lifted by 2 horrendous errors, that weren’t particularly forced. Trippier just faffed it. Crowd got up, opposition crumbled.

My issue with constantly referring to that 4 game streak is that was so so long ago. Since mid December, Sheffield United have won more points than us. We are 19th in that particular form table. Ahead of only Burnley.
There's nothing wrong with focusing on the form table as that is where we are now and that's the issue. But we have played well in periods this season, even on this winless run and pretending the points we have earned are all lucky is a nonsense.

If Forest is worse than ours the final position has to be more than the 6 points we got, so if it does come back 8 points then they are potentially getting the same as us or less after appeal.

Always get reduced on appeal.

I just think this PL will send Everton 1st with the biggest punishment and those after get off more leniently.

I think we are getting 2-4 in our second breach, we are not in a position to absorb that aswell such as the results falling off a cliff with a clueless manager who has no idea whatsoever how to turn it around.
Think it depends was more logic with the appeal result should never have been as high as 10. Is unfair if they have been more over and get less taken off

We did, that’s fair and true, but the confidence was lifted by 2 horrendous errors, that weren’t particularly forced. Trippier just faffed it. Crowd got up, opposition crumbled.

My issue with constantly referring to that 4 game streak and its impact on our points total (pre deduction) is that was so so long ago. Since mid December, Sheffield United have won more points than us. We are 19th in that particular form table. Ahead of only Burnley.

Many games are decided by errors. City dropped two points today because of an error by ake. Thats football. Why dissect the win against newcastle to undermine it but then not dissect the two errors by godfrey and tarkowski to being unlucky yesterday.
Enjoy the wins. We dont get many. And it was deserved anyway.

Anyone think Forest will get a lenient penalty to their PSR charge, just to avoid any appeal? I think their discretion will be worse than ours and they get deducted less.

This is the corrupt crap that happens to us, I have no faith in the PL to punish them fairly.

No fairly confident Forest will get -6 (although that can be appealed of course).

They have aways left at Goodison, Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley so need to be winning two of those and three of their home games left. Then on 40-41 points they will probably be able to absorb whatever points deduction they eventually get.

Under Cooper they always had a goal in them but lost so many matches 3-2. Now they seem to have gone the other way under Nuno and have tightened up but losing plenty of games 1-0 despite having some decent attackers in the final third.

Will likely play for a 0-0 at Goodison so interested how the crowd (and more importantly Dyche) handle that as he completely fluffed it v Palace.

It's been a really really strange season (on the pitch).

The others under FSW and Lampard you could see even with decent starts the wheels would fall off come the Winter and so they did spectacularly.

It was a poor start to the season under Dyche even if the performances and XG metric looked o.k. 4 defeats out of the opening five and not scoring in four of those games so it was then a shock the side then suddenly went to scoring 3s on a fairly regularly basis for the next few months.

Worth noting aswell that Brentford, Palace and West Ham had all been beaten in the run up to the points deduction being announced so the purple patch of wins wasn't just in defiance at losing ten points.

However I think people just got complacent thinking the abnormal away winning run would continue throughout the season and it simply never was going to. The top teams in the league don't win away endlessly in the league after all.

The turning point seems to have been going to Wolves, picking Keane, losing badly and suddenly all confidence drained from the team just like that.

And with the away points drying up suddenly everyone is now realising Dyche simply doesn't win many games at all at Goodison and that is simply not good enough.

7 wins from 23 he's had at Goodison in the prem, it's very very poor.

Bookies still have the three going down as Sheff U, Burnley and Luton (8/15).

Forest fourth favourite 11/5
Everton fifth at 11/2
Brentford sixth at 13/1

Never see a poor bookie

The gap between us and Brentford is one point and Brentford have worse GD so I assume they have priced in the deduction

Last edited: