Relegation 23/24 Thread

It's been a really really strange season (on the pitch).

The others under FSW and Lampard you could see even with decent starts the wheels would fall off come the Winter and so they did spectacularly.

It was a poor start to the season under Dyche even if the performances and XG metric looked o.k. 4 defeats out of the opening five and not scoring in four of those games so it was then a shock the side then suddenly went to scoring 3s on a fairly regularly basis for the next few months.

Worth noting aswell that Brentford, Palace and West Ham had all been beaten in the run up to the points deduction being announced so the purple patch of wins wasn't just in defiance at losing ten points.

However I think people just got complacent thinking the abnormal away winning run would continue throughout the season and it simply never was going to. The top teams in the league don't win away endlessly in the league after all.

The turning point seems to have been going to Wolves, picking Keane, losing badly and suddenly all confidence drained from the team just like that.

And with the away points drying up suddenly everyone is now realising Dyche simply doesn't win many games at all at Goodison and that is simply not good enough.

7 wins from 23 he's had at Goodison in the prem, it's very very poor.
Home form has been shockingly bad, but I can give Dyche a bit of slack as we are still clear of the bottom 3 despite the poor results lately and the 6 points. No points deduction and we`d be no where near the drop and I am putting full blame on the players for now for not being able to convert the chances we are getting in front of goal.

Bookies still have the three going down as Sheff U, Burnley and Luton (8/15).

Forest fourth favourite 11/5
Everton fifth at 11/2
Brentford sixth at 13/1

Never see a poor bookie

The gap between us and Brentford is one point and Brentford have worse GD so I assume they have priced in the deduction

Luton-Forest sets the tone for the run in. Luton win that and I think that gives them momentum to get two 2-3 more wins with the home games they have left.

They also have Bournemouth away in midweek. Was 1-1 when it was postponed in December and Bournemouth are pretty much safe now.

Forest lose and I think they'll struggle to finish much above 35 points so they're in serious trouble once the deduction is given.

Home form has been shockingly bad, but I can give Dyche a bit of slack as we are still clear of the bottom 3 despite the poor results lately and the 6 points. No points deduction and we`d be no where near the drop and I am putting full blame on the players for now for not being able to convert the chances we are getting in front of goal.

There's a real problem winning home games under him though. Given the debate about Newcastle game above. Ultimately it was convincingly won and so was Chelsea three days later. That should've been the spark to get better home form but instead haven't won since and the Palace performance was a shocker. Also not good at all losing to West Ham from 1-0 up as they've only won twice in 2024 themselves.

So I think given the limited resources available in the summer it will remain a similar issue next season and you simply will never finish that far away from relegation zone winning 5-6 home games a season.

Even winning 9 was just enough in 21/22 and home form in that season felt like the 80s compared to last 18 months.

Ten Games to go ….

Bournemouth Away
Newcastle Away
Burnley. Home
Chelsea. Away
Forest. Home
Brentford. Home
Luton Away
Sheff Utd. Home
Arsenal. Away
Liverpool away. Yet to be arranged

I think we need to get 10-12 points from that lot to get safe assuming our punishment is no worse than Forests