Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we look at the form table since Lampard arrived we are 12th. That’s not relegation form.

Yet in the same period we have gone from being outside the relegation zone to being in it.

What does that tell you ?

Broadly agree with this assessment. Only adjustment in that I could see is turning over Chelsea (so +2 points) but losing at home to Palace (-3 points).
Really need back to back wins in next 2 games to haul morale up a notch.
Looks bleak really.
It might be because I'm hungover after 2 days drinking out of 3 (as a 42 year-old). But I genuinely think all our remaining 6 games are winnable. Not saying we'll win them all but they're winnable.

Broadly agree with this assessment. Only adjustment in that I could see us potentially turning over Chelsea (so +2 points) but losing at home to Palace (-3 points).
Really need back to back wins in next 2 games to haul morale up a notch.
Looks bleak really.
If we won the next four in a row, we'd be fine. We need to aim to win each and every game, and to do that the players and fans need to believe.

Last edited:
I hate to point out the obvious but by the time we play Chelsea we could be 7 points to Leeds and 5 points to Burnley, 6 points to get above Burnley with their Goal Difference....

I`d love all the believers to tell me where we are getting the points to survive, realistically.... From them fixtures I can`t see us getting 3 or 4 more points than Leeds and Burnley.

FWIW I don`t want to see this club go down, I feel I need to accept it so when it happens it isn`t such a disappointment.

View attachment 163453
We need to somehow win 3 out of the next 4 for me. Imperative we beat Chelsea on Saturday , then we need to win at least one of those away games and draw the other. Basically need to go on our best run of the season now - nothing else will do it.

How did it all come to this!

I hate to point out the obvious but by the time we play Chelsea we could be 7 points to Leeds and 5 points to Burnley, 6 points to get above Burnley with their Goal Difference....

I`d love all the believers to tell me where we are getting the points to survive, realistically.... From them fixtures I can`t see us getting 3 or 4 more points than Leeds and Burnley.

FWIW I don`t want to see this club go down, I feel I need to accept it so when it happens it isn`t such a disappointment.

View attachment 163453
I’m with you. Ive accepted it.

The current football structure has a league with in a league that requires clubs to take a huge financial risk to bridge the gap. If it works then great, but if it fails you are screwed.

It is a rigged capitalist cabal. We have lost. We are the biggest club to fail. We are the ultimate losers.

We need to somehow win 3 out of the next 4 for me. Imperative we beat Chelsea on Saturday , then we need to win at least one of those away games and draw the other. Basically need to go on our best run of the season now - nothing else will do it.

The realisation that the teams struggling are fighting hard. Our form under Lampard isn’t dreadful.

final day stuff no no no! (obvs it’s ye ye ye if we can stay up from it like) lol

Don't see how it can't be tbh.

Burnley could easily beat Watford and one of the Villa games, that gets them to 37 points and a likely better GD before even playing Newcastle at home. That would mean having to get to 41 points to be 100% sure of safety (so basically winning 4 of the next 5 in that scenario....)

Leeds have a hard run but perhaps they'll get a draw off Palace and maybe Chelsea or Arsenal. And beat Brighton with little to play for at home. That gets them to 38 points so again with GD would need to be on 41 points again.

Shows you how the momentum has shifted again so quickly. I think if things stay as they are going into final day there's little chance of staying up as would mean having to win at Arsenal and then hope Burnley don't get anything at home to Newcastle. Probably about a 2% chance so team really needs to pull its finger out starting next Sunday.

Here's my optimistic outlook

Everton 29
Chelsea H: 3
Leicester A: 1
Watford A: 3
Brentford H: 3
Palace H: 3
Arsenal A: 0
Finish on 42

Burnley 31
Villa H: 1
Spurs A: 0
Villa A: 0
Newcastle H: 3
Finish on 38

Leeds 33
Palace A: 0
City H: 0
Chelsea H: 0
Brighton H: 1
Brentford: 1
Finish on 35

Don’t do this to yourself. We’re done. We have been gone for a while now. Accept it.

If we look at the form table since Lampard arrived we are 12th. That’s not relegation form.

Yet in the same period we have gone from being outside the relegation zone to being in it.

What does that tell you ?
I'm not sure you have this right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 4.18.10 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 4.18.10 PM.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 175

View attachment 163453
The path to escape is through a Leeds collapse. If they lose tomorrow it is conceivable they don’t score another point until May 15th. If we beat Watford and take a point from one of our next two games we will be ahead on goal difference. It would then come down to their two remaining fixtures against our 3. Obviously they get a result against Palace that avenue closes

Everton 29
Chelsea H: 1
Leicester A: 1
Brentford H: 1
Palace H: 3
Finish on 38

Burnley 31
Villa H: 1
Spurs A: 0
Villa A: 0
Newcastle H: 3
Finish on 38 with better GD

Leeds 33
Palace A: 1
City H: 0
Chelsea H: 1
Brighton H: 3
Brentford: 1
Finish on 39

That’s an optimistic outlook

Be a miracle to get out of this now.

Shows how little use draws are really. Just one defeat in the six games there and actually 9 points from last six which at every point in the season is a good points haul but wouldn't be enough in that scenario.

You also have Burnley losing two of their last five, who knows they might only lose one. Or none.

Not sure Leeds will do quite as well as you predict so I genuinely think the hope is they barely get a point in next three weeks and the pressure gets to them at home to Brighton. Then on last day they go to Brentford which is a very tough away day on present form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back