Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
“ a few seasons time “

“ well everton they used to be a big club but this championship is a tough tough league”

they’ve been here what 4/5 seasons now

with no sign of anything”

it’s ok tho you fan boys can go to blackpool and luton on the ale and make memory’s

f off.
what are the memories of the prem?
bill said we v had some good times but all my memories are of misery!

Despite everything, somehow - amazingly - it's still in our own hands.

Do I trust these players to get the results we need?

Home:
Chelsea - cannot finish top two, won't finish below 4th
Brentford - guaranteed safety, cannot finish in Europe
Palace - guaranteed safety, cannot finish in Europe

Away:
Leicester - guaranteed safety, cannot finish in Europe, one eye on European competition
Watford - will very likely already be relegated
Arsenal - the only team with something left to play for as they're in the mix for 4th place, and it's likely to go down to the final game or two.

I believe our true rivals now are Leeds, as I see Burnley more than capable of another 8+ points, which pushes them to 40. They have momentum and easy fixtures against teams with little to play for.

If I'm generous to Leeds, they take 7 points from games against Palace (a), Brighton (h) and Brentford (a), Chelsea (h), games against City (h) and Arsenal (a) lost.

40 points therefore would keep us up on goal difference. So I reckon 11 points does it.

I don't think we will get 11 more points.

With Burnley on a charge and picking up points for fun, its looking like we might need to chase down Leeds. Their next few fixtures look really hard for them. Can we chase Leeds down with this mob of lightweights?

I think we are probably down (but I thought that after we drew against Leicester) as Burnley picking up 2 wins on the spin and with Watford next could be 5 points ahead.

If we do get relegated it's our own fault but all I ask is of the players show they same determination and fight as they did yesterday, then they'll at least give themselves half a chance of pulling off an unlikely escape.

It's all about showing the same kind of attitude as yesterday, sticking together and fighting for everything.

what are the memories of the prem?
bill said we v had some good times but all my memories are of misery!

mate swapping the league that everyone loves and is the best in the world

for f n championship come on

they’re is no good from it

unless your some of the ones who want days out,

and to be stuck in it

i don’t and thousands and thousands others don’t

Reactions: Lob
The Waiter seemed to concede possession and go on the counter. But having just the 2 midifielders and then 4 attackers left the defence exposed which Carlo knew about and we'd concede goals like a siv.

Lamps wanted us to keep the ball more but still had the same set up. He's soon realising 3 in midfield is the way to go.

Funnily enough Rafas and Lamps seem to have more faith in these players than Carlo ever did IMO.

It depends what 3 in the midfield imo. Delph, Allan, Doucoure seem to get in the way of each other, Doucoure needs more space to operate. However a player like Iwobi or even Gordon coming back to help two defensive mids works well.

What I also saw yesterday was a spare man always in the half spaces operating between the fullback and the CB, and that stopped many of Salah's/mane's run into the box.

Exactly.

Since when has £50mil a season in the premier league been a lot of money when starting off with an ageing team which in the main had very low valuations.
it’s more than enough, it’s £500m overall - irrelevant of what the net spend is.

We weren’t selling our best players year on year, we sold 2 in that time. The lack of plan, and giving managers the freedom to buy who they want, is the issue

Despite everything, somehow - amazingly - it's still in our own hands.

Do I trust these players to get the results we need?

Home:
Chelsea - cannot finish top two, won't finish below 4th
Brentford - guaranteed safety, cannot finish in Europe
Palace - guaranteed safety, cannot finish in Europe

Away:
Leicester - guaranteed safety, cannot finish in Europe, one eye on European competition
Watford - will very likely already be relegated
Arsenal - the only team with something left to play for as they're in the mix for 4th place, and it's likely to go down to the final game or two.

I believe our true rivals now are Leeds, as I see Burnley more than capable of another 8+ points, which pushes them to 40. They have momentum and easy fixtures against teams with little to play for.

If I'm generous to Leeds, they take 7 points from games against Palace (a), Brighton (h) and Brentford (a), Chelsea (h), games against City (h) and Arsenal (a) lost.

40 points therefore would keep us up on goal difference. So I reckon 11 points does it.

I don't think we will get 11 more points.

Certainly looking like 40 will be the number this year. Typical. Just like when we finished 5th with 72 points.

Brilliant post. Average attendances usually fall dramatically when a club is relegated from the Premier League. And Championship clubs receive almost no media coverage, so they become forgotten about to a large degree. My lad had never even heard of Sheffield Wednesday when I mentioned them to him the other day

The RS fans sing “the city’s all ours”. 18 years in the lower leagues like Leeds and the city really would be all theirs.
Ironically, attendances in the eighties were lower than they are now:
11 may 1987, last game of the season: 27000 ppl.

Exactly.

Since when has £50mil a season in the premier league been a lot of money when starting off with an ageing team which in the main had very low valuations.

People seem to forget we sold Lukaku Stones Barkley Gueye in that same period. There’s 200 mill before I even get into any other player sales. Then there’s the fact that all our purchases didn’t win the ballon dor and get CL football here so most of those figures with add one will never have been reached. We’re probably looking at a net spend of between 30-50 mill per season over that period which is absolutely cheap change to the top clubs and thanks to FFP that spend was all front loaded and is decreasing each season now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back