Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's pretty hard to say what will happen in the long term. I don't think anyone can predict what will happen in 10 or 20 years time.

I just think there is going to be a lot of pain and struggles in the next 3 to 5 years. There is extremely little chance of us bouncing back quickly, and I don't know how we even try to get the club back into a stable financial position.

I wouldnt say there is little chance of us bouncing back quickly if we drop. Very much depends on who goes and stays. And attitude. Not that it means that much but id say Everton would probably be the bookies favourites if in that league next year.

I wouldnt say there is little chance of us bouncing back quickly if we drop. Very much depends on who goes and stays. And attitude. Not that it means that much but id say Everton would probably be the bookies favourites if in that leage next year.
How many come straight back up? Very few.

And we are in a uniquely bad situation because we are running huge annual losses and we have such an unsustainably enormous wage bill. All our best players would go. We would be left with Davies, Gomes, Allan and some kids from the Academy. Anyone saleable would be gone.

I wouldnt say there is little chance of us bouncing back quickly if we drop. Very much depends on who goes and stays. And attitude. Not that it means that much but id say Everton would probably be the bookies favourites if in that league next year.
Think if we could keep a few decent players like Godfrey, Mykolenko, Doucoure and Gordon, we’d probably have a very good chance of coming straight back up.

Even some of the lesser players like Gray and even Gomes would probably look like decent talent in the championship.

Patterson could get a season under his belt as well.

How many come straight back up? Very few.

And we are in a uniquely bad situation because we are running huge annual losses and we have such an unsustainably enormous wage bill. All our best players would go. We would be left with Davies, Gomes, Allan and some kids from the Academy. Anyone saleable would be gone.

Fulham have come back. Norwich come back.
I didnt say its going to be easy. But it depends on a few things.

…I strongly disagree but it’s all about opinion.
Fair enough. My own views is that we have been edging towards this position for a few years. Huge losses year on year while not moving on unwanted players have resulted in a dreadful squad and no ability to rectify the problems.

It all led to last summers transfer window. The failure to sell anyone left us hamstrung. We had holes all over the place and no ability to sort it.

I don’t think a spell out of the doom of the corrupt PL and all the misery it gives us would necessarily be a bad thing.

But I’m obviously not as real an Evertonian as you.
It’ll kill the club; this moral high ground stuff about corruption and resets is an absolute pipe dream

The club is riddled with toxic assets; we go down we ain’t coming back up anytime soon. The city becomes a 1 club city, it’s bad enough now - it’ll get worse.

I hate to point out the obvious but by the time we play Chelsea we could be 7 points to Leeds and 5 points to Burnley, 6 points to get above Burnley with their Goal Difference....

I`d love all the believers to tell me where we are getting the points to survive, realistically.... From them fixtures I can`t see us getting 3 or 4 more points than Leeds and Burnley.

FWIW I don`t want to see this club go down, I feel I need to accept it so when it happens it isn`t such a disappointment.

View attachment 163453
18 points to play for get 18 and we are staying up

Hopefully Chelsea will do Frank a favour. Chelsea have a lot of problems atm
Leicester play a 2nd leg semi final in Rome 2 days before they play us.
Watford away is surely a game we can win.
Brentford at home..we beat them 4-0 at home earlier in the season and their season done by then
We owe Palace for 2 wholloping they given us this season
Arsenal well we see where we are

It’ll kill the club; this moral high ground stuff about corruption and resets is an absolute pipe dream

The club is riddled with toxic assets; we go down we ain’t coming back up anytime soon. The city becomes a 1 club city, it’s bad enough now - it’ll get worse.
I see your point but don’t necessarily agree.

Some of those toxic assets will be leaving at the end of the season like Tosun, Delph and Gylfi.

It would also be a good opportunity to get some fees in for the sellable assets such as Pickford, DCL and Richy and high earners such as Mina, who lets be honest is an absolute disaster.

If we kept a few of the current players who I have mentioned above, we could very easily come back.

I don’t think a spell out of the doom of the corrupt PL and all the misery it gives us would necessarily be a bad thing.

But I’m obviously not as real an Evertonian as you.

What’s “a spell” though? Because looking at the state of our squad and financial situation I think it may be a bit longer a spell than you think.

Agree with you completely.

Relegation would diminish our club, possibly destroy it. In the long-term it would turn us into a Luton or a Sheffield Wednesday at best.
It all depends if we can bounce back up in the first attempt. If we can, then damage will be limited and we might be able to come back at the same level (if player recruitment is successful).

Other alternatives include becoming a yoyo club and getting sucked down further like Sunderland.

There's a good chance of all these happening but I'd say scenarios 1 and 3 are most likely given our financial situation.

We have been horrendously mismanaged (I predominantly blame the Koeman wasted transfer kitty). But our problems go beyond this. Unlike what would have been possible in previous years, we can't just throw money at it. This scenario has purely been manufactured by the clubs who just so happened to be good in the 2005-present era. Precisely to prevent further competition.

The game, like everything else, has become a huge multinational corporate machine where only a handful of clubs have any realistic chance of winning anything. It's just shy of the American closed shop model. We also just so happen to share a city with one of these bloated capitalist behemoths (at least Newcastle don't have this disadvantage). This will make it so much harder for us to ever gain traction if we get stuck in the lower leagues. We could become your Notts county to your Forest or Munich 1860 to your Bayern.

It's just so frustrating that we wasted the money that had initially been pumped in and the stadium we've been waiting for didn't happen soon enough. Whilst the owners have been wasteful, the timing of this is very unlucky.

I see your point but don’t necessarily agree.

Some of those toxic assets will be leaving at the end of the season like Tosun, Delph and Gylfi.

It would also be a good opportunity to get some fees in for the sellable assets such as Pickford, DCL and Richy and high earners such as Mina, who lets be honest is an absolute disaster.

If we kept a few of the current players who I have mentioned above, we could very easily come back.

This squad as it currently is, without any sales, wouldn’t get promoted imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back