2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t need to have played pro mate, the principal is the same, dynamic dangerous forwards make defenders uneasy which causes them to be pulled out of position. I know you don’t believe it, but, there is more to football than statistics. I very much doubt if you have played any organized football at all as you have all the data but can’t look past it and understand what is happening on the pitch.
What's happening on the pitch is Richarlison isn't impacting games when he doesn't score. The numbers say that some but you can see it watching matches too I promise. He gives the ball away, his passing is poor and he makes bad decisions. But he's a natural scorer and it matters.

Thank you for this one picture with no context

I suppose it shows that he naturally attracts more players to the ball, thus opening up space for others to exploit.

That being said, Richarlison needs to have the composure/decision-making to then release the ball/find the pass etc, for that space to be capitalised on.

He's a fantastic player and there's always a place for him in this side (I know you're not saying that). It is difficult, because he falls between two stalls as a player - he's not a winger and not an out and out forward. He's at his best in a front three.

What's happening on the pitch is Richarlison isn't impacting games when he doesn't score. The numbers say that some but you can see it watching matches too I promise. He gives the ball away, his passing is poor and he makes bad decisions. But he's a natural scorer and it matters.
He is a natural scorer and a direct runner, that unsettles defences. You can see that watching matches , I promise. All players make bad decisions from time to time and if you are always looking to make something happen , rather than taking the safe option then, obviously, some of your passing will go astray. Its easy to have good 'passing stats' if you are constantly passing backwards or sideways, a little more difficult if you are looking to go forward.

Anyway, if you seriously think that all Richarlison brings to the pitch are his goals, then, I will never be able to convince you otherwise. Mind you, it may explain why you champion Iwobi on here.

I suppose it shows that he naturally attracts more players to the ball, thus opening up space for others to exploit.

That being said, Richarlison needs to have the composure/decision-making to then release the ball/find the pass etc, for that space to be capitalised on.

He's a fantastic player and there's always a place for him in this side (I know you're not saying that). It is difficult, because he falls between two stalls as a player - he's not a winger and not an out and out forward. He's at his best in a front three.
It doesn't show anything without context.

I think he's best in theory where we're trying to play him when DCL is fit too. Even in a true 4-3-3 the wide players have to add some measure of creativity and ability to get the ball up the field. He's bad in these areas. It worked for a stretch last season because James was very very good. Without that level of passing Richarlison has to do more and I don't feel that he's capable.

Where we have him now masks a lot of the flaws and lets him focus on just attempting to make the decisive moments in games.

He is a natural scorer and a direct runner, that unsettles defences. You can see that watching matches , I promise. All players make bad decisions from time to time and if you are always looking to make something happen , rather than taking the safe option then, obviously, some of your passing will go astray. Its easy to have good 'passing stats' if you are constantly passing backwards or sideways, a little more difficult if you are looking to go forward.

Anyway, if you seriously think that all Richarlison brings to the pitch are his goals, then, I will never be able to convince you otherwise. Mind you, it may explain why you champion Iwobi on here.
I'm not talking about his passing %. When I say passing stats I mean passes into the final third, passes into the box, passes that set up shots. He's not good for a winger in any of these areas.

And it doesn't matter how direct your running is if the first person you run into ends up stopping it a majority of the time.

I'm not talking about his passing %. When I say passing stats I mean passes into the final third, passes into the box, passes that set up shots. He's not good for a winger in any of these areas.

And it doesn't matter how direct your running is if the first person you run into ends up stopping it a majority of the time.
You just don't get it fo you? Watch him making runs off the ball into the area and watch the reaction of the central defenders. Question for you all the tap ins that DCL gets has it ever occurred to you that somebody should be marking him? That somebody is usually somebody who has allowed himself to be pulled out of position by Richarlison's run

That isn't me having a pop at DCL by the way, I really rate him too but he definitely benefits from having Richarlison along side him. Anyway if you can't see it it's of no consequence to me. Agree to disagree.

I think his best position is as a LF in a 3. In 4-4-2 his best position is 2nd striker alongside someone like DCL. He is a good RF in a 3 but it takes some of the goalscoring away when a forward plays on his correct side as cutting in is less likely. He can play as a ST in a 3 but he doesn't have the hold up play of DCL. He is absolutely our star player but he is also our most flexible attacker.

You just don't get it fo you? Watch him making runs off the ball into the area and watch the reaction of the central defenders. Question for you all the tap ins that DCL gets has it ever occurred to you that somebody should be marking him? That somebody is usually somebody who has allowed himself to be pulled out of position by Richarlison's run

That isn't me having a pop at DCL by the way, I really rate him too but he definitely benefits from having Richarlison along side him. Anyway if you can't see it it's of no consequence to me. Agree to disagree.
I agree with that stuff. But that's not really the stuff I'm saying he's not good at. I'm concerned with all the stuff that isn't in the opposition box.

Status
Not open for further replies.