Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look... Another pro Martinez article on the club website...

@Everton27 April 2016 09:07

David Unsworth is adamant that the emerging crop of young players from the Everton Academy will benefit greatly from the clear development pathway set out by Roberto Martinez.

On Monday night at Goodison Kieran Dowell scored a sublime hat-trick in the Under-21s' 3-1 win over Leicester, with each goal a quality cameo in its own right.

The Ormskirk teenager began the season with the senior side, impressing on the pre-season tour of Scotland and in a friendly against Leeds at Elland Road.

But for the intervention of an ankle injury, he may have featured more prominently this season, with manager Martinez a strong admirer of the 18-year-old's "wonderful left foot" long before Dowell wielded it to such wondrous effect against the Foxes.

And it is that support for youth development by Martinez and a clear pathway to the first team for Everton's young talent that most encourages Under-21s manager Unsworth, who is enthused not only by Dowell's development but by the large pool of quality young players coming through the system at Finch Farm.

"There's a tremendous level of desire and togetherness and a real sense of purpose, with a work ethic among the lads to back that up," Unsworth said.

"They know that, if they work hard and develop in the way we believe they can, the opportunity can be there for them and we'll encourage them every step of the way.

"From day one, Roberto set out a clear development pathway for young players here at Everton. He's also repeatedly backed it up by providing opportunities for young players to grow, improve, develop and realise their full potential.

"Whether it's Ross Barkley or John Stones, Brendan Galloway or Tyias Browning, Matty Pennington or Callum Connolly and Tom Davies, Roberto's vision is clear and, obviously, it's a very powerful incentive for every young player here at the Club.

"The School of Science has long been associated with Everton and we want to make sure this continues to be a place where young players can come and reach their potential while contributing to the overall philosophy which is to play attractive, winning football."

Here's my take on the situation this morning for what it is worth.

Nothing has changed in terms of the big picture, ie that Martinez will not be managing us beyond the end of the season, and most likely not managing us this weekend. We have and continue to talk to very high quality candidates to replace him, as discussed previously, and that process continues.

It's a big day for the city, and Everton will be represented by many of its senior officials at the Hillsborough events today. Thus it's the perfect day to conclude what ever Martinez business needs concluding with all or most present.

Assuming the above, will news be released today? That's a tricky one to judge, if so it's going to be later in the day after the Hillsborough events have occurred (I'm not sure of their precise timings). Alternatively it may be released in the morning prior to the pre-match press conference with whoever is the interim or caretaker manager taking that.

If for whatever reason, the decision is that Martinez continues to the end of the season, then so be it - it will be uncomfortable and give room to those that doubt the ambitions of the board and Moshiri. Even if this was the case (which I doubt) I'm very comfortable with the plans and ambitions he has, for the summer and the development of the club generally.
The H'Boro vigil is this evening so I doubt, even if a deal has been struck, that anything will be announced today.

I think the identity of the personnel taking tomorrow's usual Thursday press conference will tell us all we need to know - whoever and whenever they may be.

The H'Boro vigil is this evening so I doubt, even if a deal has been struck, that anything will be announced today.

I think the identity of the personnel taking tomorrow's usual Thursday press conference will tell us all we need to know - whoever and whenever they may be.

martinez-getty_3081955b.jpg

Ah ok @Groucho thanks for that, think you may well be right on that.

Perhaps another one of Martinez's fatal flaws was last summer, or more specifically the lack of squad building that took place?

Look at the game on saturday as the best example. We lost the game sure, only looked like winning when the players ignored the manager. But when you look at the team man for man you can see glaring issues that have ran right through it this season. For example, right back who he failed to sign a back up for in jan. We have 3 right backs and two of them not fit enough to play in the league. So we were left with one right back only who happened to be injured so it was a problem in the team.

Defensively, we had to play an injured defender because behind Stones we had no-one to play. Even in the grand scheme of things, we have a senior defender, 21 year old and one that has never played in this league before. that is an incredibly bad collection to go into a season with, especially with no back up for a 4th. Baines has been left out to dry by having no cover in front of him, but only that position has been covered this season.

Midfield, we have poor tactics there sure. But centrally we play with 2 holding mkidfielder and only have 4 of them at the club. One of them, gibson, rarely gets a game so how can you expect him to be match ready for a semi final when he is on the bench every week? considering out other one was at right back it left out midfield weak because come the end 20 minutes, we had no fresh legs to play in there. Out of form and a rarely plays partnership, with no-one else to freshen them up.

but it is when you look at the certain players that you see where the issues lie in all of this. Lukaku had a bad game, who could replace him? Barkley had a bad game, who could replace him? The spine of our team being young, and with no actual replacements to come in when they are out of form or needing a rest was in hindsight suicidal and terrible management of the managers squad.

Even if money was an issue, spending 13.5 million in jan should have been on a player guaranteed to come in and play. That is all martinez had to do, even signing a couple of lesser players to plug gaps in the team would have been much more effective than signing one that to this point, has contributed nothing. It ties in to the above issues because if the additions can't help the problem then they may as well not be here.

Club publishes story with Unsworth talking about continuing the pathway that Martinez started for the young players in the club.

Haven't heard a thing from Martinez all week.

David Unsworth is adamant that the emerging crop of young players from the Everton Academy will benefit greatly from the clear development pathway set out by Roberto Martinez.

On Monday night at Goodison Kieran Dowell scored a sublime hat-trick in the Under-21s' 3-1 win over Leicester, with each goal a quality cameo in its own right.

The Ormskirk teenager began the season with the senior side, impressing on the pre-season tour of Scotland and in a friendly against Leeds at Elland Road.

But for the intervention of an ankle injury, he may have featured more prominently this season, with manager Martinez a strong admirer of the 18-year-old's "wonderful left foot" long before Dowell wielded it to such wondrous effect against the Foxes.

And it is that support for youth development by Martinez and a clear pathway to the first team for Everton's young talent that most encourages Under-21s manager Unsworth, who is enthused not only by Dowell's development but by the large pool of quality young players coming through the system at Finch Farm.

"There's a tremendous level of desire and togetherness and a real sense of purpose, with a work ethic among the lads to back that up," Unsworth said.

"They know that, if they work hard and develop in the way we believe they can, the opportunity can be there for them and we'll encourage them every step of the way.

"From day one, Roberto set out a clear development pathway for young players here at Everton. He's also repeatedly backed it up by providing opportunities for young players to grow, improve, develop and realise their full potential.

"Whether it's Ross Barkley or John Stones, Brendan Galloway or Tyias Browning, Matty Pennington or Callum Connolly and Tom Davies, Roberto's vision is clear and, obviously, it's a very powerful incentive for every young player here at the Club.

"The School of Science has long been associated with Everton and we want to make sure this continues to be a place where young players can come and reach their potential while contributing to the overall philosophy which is to play attractive, winning football."

Very worrying that Rhino is seeking to praise Martinez

IMO he gets the end of the season now. can't see us announcing a sacking today with the Hillsborough news and doubt it will be tomorrow with press conferences etc

Sounds very much like a valedictory commentary to me - you know in business when you're getting rid of someone whom you don't dislike, you always provide a great reference.

Sounds very much like a valedictory commentary to me - you know in business when you're getting rid of someone whom you don't dislike, you always provide a great reference.

I greatly admire your optimism and I dearly hope this is part of some managed amicable parting of the ways.
My gut (and years of having mediocrity foisted upon us by kenwright) tells me there is still a lot more to this though.

Very worrying that Rhino is seeking to praise Martinez

IMHO it's merely setting up to remind 'us' that ROBERTO has indeed laid some decent foundations behind the scenes.

It's damage limitation, no more no less, appeasement and nothing more...it's also a bit of sugar for BOB's CV.

Be calm, have a biscuit, it'll all be sorted shortly...and onward the ship will sail.

*though if it's steered by Captain Dyche I'm overboard ASAP

Much as I'd like to agree with you I don't read it that way.

It sounds to me as he ( Rhino ) and the young players see Martinez as part of the present and future reason d'etre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back