Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lollollol
I'm sure you'll agree mate, if you are in the minority you have to club together!
Also, with Davek missing in action, there is a spot available for a new leader!

Y'know what...TBF it's a decent bit of scribble, I'll give it that.

Still needs bootin' like but there ya go...

Anyway, gonna finish what I'm doing then have a root through the kids art stuff and start work on your crown...;)

The Devil’s Advocate: Roberto Martinez v1, by Daniel MacSweeney

When Martinez first arrived at Everton he set down certain expectations; a focus on youth and a single playing style across all age groups.

Two poor seasons later and the dreams have turned to frustration and anger.

The issue however is that over the long term the (Cryuff) philosophy advocated by Martinez allows more goals against than other competing footballing philosophies.

Critics have pointed to an inability to use his substitution effectively and to making changes too late in games to have any effect.

Criticism of his communication style as overly optimistic and an inflexible philosophy bordering dogmatic has been a constant theme throughout the season. Martinez should have known this.

As much as the forensic analysis has rightly focused on the manager both he and the club have been let down by the players this season. A 4-0 thrashing by Liverpool was described by Martinez as ‘an embarrassment’. This was closely followed up by a 3-1 defeat to champions Leicester with Martinez declaring that ‘we did not turn up’. (It is interesting to note that the closer the Catalan gets to the guillotine the more like a normal manager he sounds).

Ross Barkley, once compared by Martinez to Michael Ballack, has looked lost at times this season.

Three years is a long time in football and patience is running thin among Everton fans. With the arrival of Farhad Moshiri Everton now have access to significant transfer funds for the first time in the modern era.

The hope for Martinez is that he has done enough to convince the new owner that his footballing philosophy gives him the right to lead Everton forward into a new era. That and his lucky brown shoes.

The post The Devil’s Advocate: Roberto Martinez v1 appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Needed a decent sub editor mate. I've tried to help but I think the closing line might need some work, as the previous points don't really support the conclusion.

Some nice data points and good remark about the players though. However that's modern football. The job of the manager is to organize the players and get them and the fans buying into a certain way of playing. If a manager cannot do that, then he will be the one leaving.

PS. Not sure I would use Cruyff in the same breath as Martinez. One is a failed and pale impersonation of the other.

Otherwise good effort, and thanks for the Wolfsburg memories

Last edited:

In a sense, you can understand the board not announcing the sacking. Just look at what it's caused at man city. I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez knew of his future months ago, but the board have made the decision not to announce it til the end of the season so it didn't effect the semi final.

God knows what they've being playing at since then though.

There was a big difference at City, though.

Pellegrini had done nowt wrong.

Won silverware, had them in the CL knockout stages and was in the LC semi final.

I think they were also top of the league at the time.....or certainly not a kick in the ass off it.

City were trying to fix sommat which wasn't broken.....and their season suffered accordingly.

EFC, on the other hand, had gone stale and needed a boost.

It was obvious from Arsenal onwards we were going nowhere.......and nowhere is exactly where we have gone.

There has been absolutely no advantage to the club in keeping quiet about what the world and his wife know to be inevitable.

I don't find this prevarication understandable at all.

In fact, I find it downright amateurish and a disgraceful way to treat an honourable man.

And it does not fill me with any great confidence going forward :(

Now, I would not be surprised if what you say is in fact true.

That he was told several months ago.

Because this whole slide began in earnest as soon as Mr. Mo came into the club.

Both Bobby and the players have appeared demotivated since then and it could well be that he was put on his notice and the players are rudderless.

Which brings me back to the sheer folly of not dispensing with his services right there and then instead of casting the club into limbo.

Needed a decent sub editor mate. I've tried to help but I think the closing line might need some work, as the previous points don't really support the conclusion.

Some nice data points and good remark about the players though. However that's modern football. The job of the manager is to organize the players and get them and the fans buying into a certain way of playing. If a manager cannot do that, then he will be the one leaving.

PS. Not sure I would use Cruyff in the same breath as Martinez. One is a failed and pale impersonation of the other.

Otherwise good effort, and thanks for the Wolfsburg memories

Not my article, but I'm sure the lad who sent it will appreciate the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back