Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's been one improvement in the changeover of managers its been the type of football we now play - or attempt to play. The movement of Martinez's teams and the intent they have to go out and win games rather than carry out a war of attrition, as per his predecessor, distinguishes them.

Any serious commentator looking at the way we played under Moyes and the way we play under Martinez has to conclude that we are playing better football under the latter.

Absolute claptrap.

We've played better football at our peak under Martinez than we ever did under Moyes. No denying it. However we're currently 11th and finished 11th the season before. The troughs have been much more frequent and sustained than the peaks.

Moyes' last three league finishes were 7th/7th/6th. We played better overall in those three seasons than we have under Martinez in his first three.

We'd have to go and win the FA Cup and finish very strongly in the league to challenge that fact. 5th and 11th twice is not a team that is playing better football.

Absolute claptrap.

We've played better football at our peak under Martinez than we ever did under Moyes. No denying it. However we're currently 11th and finished 11th the season before. The troughs have been much more frequent and sustained than the peaks.

Moyes' last three league finishes were 7th/7th/6th. We played better overall in those three seasons than we have under Martinez in his first three.

We'd have to go and win the FA Cup and finish very strongly in the league to challenge that fact. 5th and 11th twice is not a team that is playing better football.

Dave has this idea that we played hoofball under Moyes.

I guess he missed the games where we just utterly bummed teams by attacking at pace.

Bless him.

I guess he missed the games where we just utterly bummed teams by attacking at pace.

Bless him.

I'd rather go to Fortress Goodison and watch us grind out solid wins than play lovely passes and drop points 24/7.

I appreciate that those who don't shell out nearly £600 every year may not get that in the same way.

I'd rather go to Fortress Goodison and watch us grind out solid wins than play lovely passes and drop points 24/7.

I appreciate that those who don't shell out nearly £600 every year may not get that in the same way.

Well speaking as an armchair that no longer attends aways it would be lovely if I actually saw us win a few games at Goodison now and again.

I care not for the pretty football, if I want pretty football I would watch Barca tear somebody a new anus, I go to Goodison to watch us win.

Im funny like that, I get entertainment from Everton victories.

Absolute claptrap.

Before he completely lost the plot and threw in the towel at Anfield, some of the football Moyes had the team playing was at least as good as now.....although Roberto has a better win% than anyone since Howie in the mid 80's........

Before he completely lost the plot and threw in the towel at Anfield, some of the football Moyes had the team playing was at least as good as now.....although Roberto has a better win% than anyone since Howie in the mid 80's........

Even I don't agree with that. I think our style of football has (at last) become actually very good under Martinez.. Mostly better than Moyes because its relentlessly trying to be good looking football, instead of the odd stand out moment, we get a game with a load of good moments.

Its just not effective for gaining points where we keep conceding chances or worse through very basic but fundamentally crazy defensive tactics.
The football is defo better, but then I guess that is partly the result of actually being able to buy players to enhance your squad instead of trying to plug gaps all the time, and partly because of the style of play Martinez employs.

But as much as I like what Moyes did, and as unsure on Martinez I still am, I have to concede that we are a better footballing team under Martinez.

Still prefer 3 points though

Absolute claptrap.

Absolute claptrap that is orthodox thought amongst most people who've seen enough football under both managers. You're quite the iconoclast.

You refuse to move away from a nonsensical model that results (or worse still, final league position) equates to proof of good or 'better' football. There's been many successful and awful to watch teams down the years that run a coach and horses through that flawed viewpoint: Leeds and Arsenal spring to mind.

It's a numb nuts conflation.

Ha Ha Ha.

The anti-football mindset right here, bold as brass. "I'm a customer and I DEMAND my three points, so park that bus you Catalan nobhead."

Lol.

i don't think that's fair at all.

I had a season ticket last year and lucked out in that respect. I couldn't get one this year due to working most weekends but have got to as many games as possible.

I'd rather go there and see us play the best football I - as a 21-year-old - have ever seen us play than hoof it up the pitch (not that I'm saying that's all we did under Moyes, far from it), and I like that we're trying to stick to a style and get the results that we got in our first season.

For a variety of reasons it hasn't gone to plan at home this term but the improvements in our all-round game are becoming more and more clear. We need to find a way of getting over the line but when I see our players create so many chances in the games against Palace and Swansea etc and fail to take them - then I don't pin that on the manager.

i don't think that's fair at all.

I had a season ticket last year and lucked out in that respect. I couldn't get one this year due to working most weekends but have got to as many games as possible.

I'd rather go there and see us play the best football I - as a 21-year-old - have ever seen us play than hoof it up the pitch (not that I'm saying that's all we did under Moyes, far from it), and I like that we're trying to stick to a style and get the results that we got in our first season.

For a variety of reasons it hasn't gone to plan at home this term but the improvements in our all-round game are becoming more and more clear. We need to find a way of getting over the line but when I see our players create so many chances in the games against Palace and Swansea etc and fail to take them - then I don't pin that on the manager.
It's just pure snobbery mate.

Quite sad really.

Anyway, I want to stick to this thread's ambition to keep it civil, so...

Bless him.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting how much gametime Phil Neville got under Moyes. I reckon Moyes would have sank like a stone in this competitive new PL era, he never had to deal with the likes of Stokelona and West Payet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back