Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mate. As I pointed out we just can't defend crosses into the area very well but fortunately in the last few games Oviedo/Cleverley on the left and Lennon/Coleman on the right seem to be doubling up and preventing those crosses at source. We then have Joel who looks confident in coming out and claiming them.

We still have our moments and that does need to be improved, but I think that's as much the players as the manager. An experienced pro like Jagielka shouldn't be getting caught under the ball as much as he does, for example (as good as Jags is for us).

I'm sure they've been working on it and a defensive help-in-hand to be brought in in the summer probably is needed - mainly to organise that side of it.

The rest of the time, I've got to say, only on a few occasions have teams carved through our defence.

The lack of closing down concerns me far more than set pieces to be honest, its systemic in our style of play. Moyes as defensive coach sounds good ;)

state of him, still only one hat tho @sageyefc

maxresdefault.jpg
Prevenger.. your needed... second hat please

Exactly. Keep the performance levels high and the results will inevitably come (more especially if the right recruits defensively are made in the summer).

If people wish not to see that then that's their problem.

I do think it's fair to say that if we finish where we are now and don't win the cup then RM will be under some pressure to get off to a strong start next year. I think that's only fair as well.

However, by the same token, we could easily end this season higher, so at this point it's just a waiting game.

Massive few weeks coming up for us where the positions of the teams around us in the table can be affected by ourselves.

The lack of closing down concerns me far more than set pieces to be honest, its systemic in our style of play. Moyes as defensive coach sounds good ;)

Yeh I agree though as I've said I think we do sit deep in order to counter, but on occasion (last 25 vs Villa e.g) we sat too deep and got bogged down.

Oviedo and Coleman have both definitely improved their closing down of crosses though. There's a lot less that get through in recent weeks, and actually the majority that do get through are from the right.

Yeh I agree though as I've said I think we do sit deep in order to counter, but on occasion (last 25 vs Villa e.g) we sat too deep and got bogged down.

Oviedo and Coleman have both definitely improved their closing down of crosses though. There's a lot less that get through in recent weeks, and actually the majority that do get through are from the right.
Yeah the DM's do none of it and the CB's back off far too much for my liking. As you say the full backs are far improved last few months though.

A silent o, or are you from Yorkshire? ;)
Devon mate.. we pretty much only use vowels to be honest.. O is only used in isolation though, in fact most vowels are a commonly used word in Devon

O... I.. C.. E..
I , U bay, I.. C.. E
I'll ave E.. i'll ave the ole fe(phlem)ing lot of e

Translation..
O.. I see you
Yes, You boy, I see you
I will get you, I'll get all of you.

ALSO:

Reckon that der Martinez is goo'un in-ee? (on topic see mods)

I hear this a lot: we win games and it's because the fans tell him what to do. But they never have input on the defeats. Strange that.

Success has many fathers, defeat is an orphan.

LOL changing words to suit your argument.

no its not "because the fans tell him what to do" as you state. its because he has done the things that his critics wanted him to do. there is a difference, strange you can't tell it. or maybe not.

Devon mate.. we pretty much only use vowels to be honest.. O is only used in isolation though, in fact most vowels are a commonly used word in Devon

O... I.. C.. E..
I , U bay, I.. C.. E
I'll ave E.. i'll ave the ole fe(phlem)ing lot of e

Translation..
O.. I see you
Yes, You boy, I see you
I will get you, I'll get all of you.

ALSO:

Reckon that der Martinez is goo'un in-ee? (on topic see mods)
Thank you.. I think?

Wow our expectations are being lowered on a weekly basis now. We used to get quoted the fact that we were only x points off 5th. Now we're 4 points off 7th and some people are happy with that.
Never said I was happy, finish 7th and win the FA cup and its a fantastic season.

I'm sure most Blues would snap your arms for that. Nows not the time to be judging.

Lets wait and see eh ,as I said strange old season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back