Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get in! Well played rom and the team. Put the ball in the net and you can say whatever you want.

Unbeaten, look solid at the back and threatening from all over the pitch. Love the fact koeman subs players if they aren't performing. Under Bob he would have left Ross on and we'd have got a point. Exciting season ahead. Coyb.

Honestly, that was the most Rom thing ever. He was absolutely awful for an hour, then went completely wild for 15 minutes.

And that's Rom - awful, then scores.

People will ignore how bad he was again because he scored a hat-trick afterwards, and I understand that. But my issue is that next game he could just be awful without the goals and be a liability again.
Honestly though I don't care if he's awful all season as long as he scores 20+. That's his job.

Honestly though I don't care if he's awful all season as long as he scores 20+. That's his job.

Yeah but as his dry spell lately has shown, when he's not scoring he's utterly pointless.

If he goes on another four game drought and then scores five in the fifth game, technically he has 8 in 8 but it wouldn't tell the whole story. It's just so frustrating, because a player that good at putting the ball in the net just needs to be somewhat competent in other areas of his game and he'd be bullet proof in terms of criticism.

Yeah but as his dry spell lately has shown, when he's not scoring he's utterly pointless.

If he goes on another four game drought and then scores five in the fifth game, technically he has 8 in 8 but it wouldn't tell the whole story. It's just so frustrating, because a player that good at putting the ball in the net just needs to be somewhat competent in other areas of his game and he'd be bullet proof in terms of criticism.
Disagree. Look at the difference when he came on against West Brom. He's a focal point in the attack and makes defenders [Poor language removed] scared. Without him we are utterly toothless whether he scores or not.

That's. His. Job.

No, his job is to be the eleventh player in a football team. Too often he is completely invisible.

Poachers no longer exist in football. It may have been OK in the 80s for Lineker et al to offer nothing but goals, but in the modern era if you are not contributing to the team play, you are a liability to the team.

For 60 minutes tonight, Rom was as bad as I've ever seen him. Yes, he then went mad for 15 minutes, but performing 15 minutes every few games isn't good enough at this level.

I'd prefer a happy medium - a good all round Lukaku with a good eye for goal, who can get 15-20 a season and be an asset all round.

Night and day between first and second half. Obviously needs service but when he gets quality balls in like he did there, he can finish well. He said it himself - needs to be better than he was 1st half. And he was (as was the team all round). Now keep it going.

No, his job is to be the eleventh player in a football team. Too often he is completely invisible.

Poachers no longer exist in football. It may have been OK in the 80s for Lineker et al to offer nothing but goals, but in the modern era if you are not contributing to the team play, you are a liability to the team.

For 60 minutes tonight, Rom was as bad as I've ever seen him. Yes, he then went mad for 15 minutes, but performing 15 minutes every few games isn't good enough at this level.

I'd prefer a happy medium - a good all round Lukaku with a good eye for goal, who can get 15-20 a season and be an asset all round.

It looked like it was okay tonight as well as in the 80s.

You're wrong with this one imo.

Disagree. Look at the difference when he came on against West Brom. He's a focal point in the attack and makes defenders [Poor language removed] scared. Without him we are utterly toothless whether he scores or not.

You're both kind of right I think, maybe somewhere in the middle.

When Rom is useless boy he's useless, but it's not true that all he offers is goals. When he's in form suddenly he's a presence, he's bullying defenders, laying the ball off, holding it up.

Look no further than the first half vs the second. As soon as he scored he looked like a battering ram. I think it was clear things weren't right at the end of the season and apparently he's been lacking fitness/playing with a light injury thus far, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if he can build on today's performance. Not necessarily score 3 every game, but show the desire and strength he displayed from about 50 minutes onwards.

Night and day between first and second half. Obviously needs service but when he gets quality balls in like he did there, he can finish well. He said it himself - needs to be better than he was 1st half. And he was (as was the team all round). Now keep it going.

Indeed.

No way was he MOTM tonight - he was "man of the 60-75 minutes part of the match".

If he could do that every game, fine, but as we've seen through the entirety of 2016 until this point, he doesn't.

Honestly, that was the most Rom thing ever. He was absolutely awful for an hour, then went completely wild for 15 minutes.

And that's Rom - awful, then scores.

People will ignore how bad he was again because he scored a hat-trick afterwards, and I understand that. But my issue is that next game he could just be awful without the goals and be a liability again.

Would you prefer to play a striker who has more consistent all round play but only scores 10 goals a season or Rom?

His job is to score goals. He does that amazingly well 'if' given good service.

He might lose an arial battle with a 5 year old and look like a rabbit in headlights when he has to compete for a ball but if you give him a chance he'll more than likely put it away. That's what you want him to do. I hope he works and improves on the other areas of his game but he's boss at doing his job.

I actually think Lukaku's hold up play is way better than it used to be I just find him frustrating as he doesn't compete in the air properly. If he did he'd be a monster for defenders to deal with. He just needs to play more agressively.

Some games his all round play is poor, tonight he was getting poor service for most of it, which I'm not going to blame on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back