Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.

No way was he MOTM tonight - he was "man of the 60-75 minutes part of the match".

If he could do that every game, fine, but as we've seen through the entirety of 2016 until this point, he doesn't.
Consistency is the key. Its in his hands. Needs to perform in about 7 games in every 10 to become what he wants (and professes) to be.

Would you prefer to play a striker who has more consistent all round play but only scores 10 goals a season or Rom?

His job is to score goals. He does that amazingly well 'if' given good service.

He might lose an arial battle with a 5 year old and look like a rabbit in headlights when he has to compete for a ball but if you give him a chance he'll more than likely put it away. That's what you want him to do. I hope he works and improves on the other areas of his game but he's boss at doing what his job.

I actually think Lukaku's hold up play is way better than it used to be I just find him frustrating as he doesn't compete in the air properly. If he did he'd be a monster for defenders to deal with. He just needs to play more agressively.

Some games his all round play is poor, tonight he was getting poor service for most of it, which I'm not going to blame on him.

Honestly depends on the quality around the striker. With the pace and power we have in the likes of Bolasie and Deulofeu, I'd take the all round striker in this system.

We're relying on Rom to go into Beast Mode to be effective, when we need a player who even when not in form can at least contribute to overall play and get other players involved.

It's not realistic to expect the kind of Lukaku who showed up in that second half week in week out, because that would make him a footballing Jesus. But I think it's fair to expect more than the tripe he has been offering up week in week out all this year up until the 60 minute mark tonight.

Tubeys right like, if you ignore the 130 goals hes scored he offers nothing else.

We've finished bottom half two seasons on the bounce with him up front, because - even ignoring the Martinez factor - he hasn't contributed enough to the team over any given 90 minutes for two years.

I'd take a Lukaku half as good as he was tonight in that 15 minute spell over 90 minutes in every game, because he'd be a much more valuable striker for us consistently if so.

We've finished bottom half two seasons on the bounce with him up front, because - even ignoring the Martinez factor - he hasn't contributed enough to the team over any given 90 minutes for two years.

I'd take a Lukaku half as good as he was tonight in that 15 minute spell over 90 minutes in every game, because he'd be a much more valuable striker for us consistently if so.

Totally agree, its Roms fault we havent been able to defend for the last 2 years.

He probably does suffer people who score hat tricks though
He won't accept inconsistent performances. Hands up great second half but it was a Sunderland defence playing together for the first time. As carragher said if he's not scoring but playing at a 7 or 8/10 level for the team he stays if not someone will be brought in who will

Honestly depends on the quality around the striker. With the pace and power we have in the likes of Bolasie and Deulofeu, I'd take the all round striker in this system.

We're relying on Rom to go into Beast Mode to be effective, when we need a player who even when not in form can at least contribute to overall play and get other players involved.

It's not realistic to expect the kind of Lukaku who showed up in that second half week in week out, because that would make him a footballing Jesus. But I think it's fair to expect more than the tripe he has been offering up week in week out all this year up until the 60 minute mark tonight.

All about opinions but I thought he was isolated through poor service tonight rather than playing badly in the first half. I know some games he does give the ball too easy though.

Me personally, I'd always want Lukaku. Not convinced the rest of our players could make up the goals we'd lose without him in the team, even if we had a player who had better all round play.

I just find Lukaku frustrating cos he doesn't always play with enough fire or really use his strength and pace to create havoc. He seems very laid back and it shows in the way he plays. Koeman really needs to figure out how to fire him up before games.

I really believe if Lukaku learns to play with more aggression he'll become one of the best strikers in the world. He's similar to Drogba but has more pace but the thing that made Drogba better than Lukaku was his fight and lack of fear at competing for the ball.

Can we never mention his poor touch any more please as this guy for all his weaknesses does score goals and that's all I want my striker to do.
We have had to endure some terrible strikers in the past 20 years but Rom is a twenty goal a season man which is decent in my eyes.

He sucks the haters in, lulls them into a false sense of security and then bitchslaps them into next week with a hat-trick.

He's done it for years now and they never, ever learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back