Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take away his goals....ffs lollollollollol

Take away his goals and see where we would be. If i was Rom i would've downed tools last year and demanded a move. A striker who can bang goals in for fun, with 1% service. He must feel completely and utterly fed up. Huge loss for us, but i can't wait to see him with a good team.
Whilst I get what you mean, take away his goals and we could've built a TEAM.
This right now is full of individuals. Lukaku included in that. As I said last night, he's perfect for a PSG. A team that have splashed 50M on every position.

How dare he have aspirations of winning trophies and playing in the Champions League.

We need more players of his mentality.
He clearly said he wanted to stay at Everton for 1 or 2 years then move to a big club.
He doesn't want to be here mate.

my replies are quite negative regarding Lukaku. I love the guy. He's a fantastic goalscorer.
I just want a good team, not individuals

So fans want a striker that presses, works his socks off, scores goals, creates goals, holds it up and does everything! If we can get Aguero or Suarez then sound but sadly we aren't challenging for titles and champions leagues so just except that Romelu is best we can have at this moment.

Even if we had Aguero he'd probably be booed for not winning or scoring enough headers

Everton fans love to hate

Let's dig Dixie up!

Let's get rid of the best Striker we have had in over 20 years.
GIve me a good TEAM over 'the best striker we've had in 20 years' any day of the week mate.

Not saying it's certain we'd have a good team but something needs to change and Lukaku WILL go in the next 2 years. 100%. In fact, Imo he's basically already gone after this season

GIve me a good TEAM over 'the best striker we've had in 20 years' any day of the week mate.

Not saying it's certain we'd have a good team but something needs to change and Lukaku WILL go in the next 2 years. 100%. In fact, Imo he's basically already gone after this season

Give me both.

We all know he's leaving in the next couple of years. So while he's here i'd much rather play with 2 up top and get the absolute most out of him. Rather than moan about his flaws whilst we persist with tactics that expose them.

But we can be a good team with him in it, we just use him in the completely wrong way and yet despite this he still gets goals.

I totally subscribe to him needing a partner for the reasons expressed by both of us.

On ball retention and ability to link up I'd say two things - his hold up play has improved significantly since Koeman arrived at the club, and on linking up, well he needs players around him to link up with.

I'd add one more thing about his work rate. I see Lukaku as an impact player given his style but also importantly his stature and physique. His game is best suited and made for short bursts of intense activity rather than continual lower impact involvement in the game.

Good post mate. I do think there has to be a middle point with Rom. There was a lot of effort against Watford, but in all honesty he doesn't know how to press. It's not just as simple are running around lots. If it was, with the nicest will in the world managers like Klopp and Pochetino wouldn't be as good as they are. Firmino for Liverpool is exceptional at pressing for example. His body shape, entry position, speed at which he accelerates/slows down etc. Just getting Rom to run around more won't change his ability in this regards. I think we need to support him properly to do what he does best, which is score goals.

I was laughed at by a mate before for this very same suggestion. His performance against us on Saturday sort of vindicated me though (the type of performance he often puts in) and if you watch the lad he has a lot of qualities. Even the header he won in our half for their first goal, Rom wouldn't have contested that. It's little things like that, the work he puts in to try and keep the ball in the opposition half. Not to mention the fact that he was right there in the box all the time, always making sure there was something for the defenders to do while the other lads were freed up to score the goals.

Deeney's a good lad and, if we were to keep Lukaku, I would at least like someone like Deeney to partner him and minimize Rom's many deficiencies as a player

Spot on that mate. I have been watching and advocating for Deeney for some time, since we were first linked with him in Martinez's first season. I think he is hugely underated because he comes from none league and he is not a fancy name, while being a bit unorthodox.

On 3 levels I think he'd be a good signing. Firstly his personality, secondly his ability and thirdly what he'd offer for Rom. The Echo did a good piece on him the other day which pointed out everything you can see, namely that he excels in the areas Rom is weak at; hold up play, headers, chances created, assists, ground covered etc. Essentially the Donkey work. I saw him a couple of times last season and he dedicated much of his game to providing chances for the in form Ighalo. If we had someone doing all of that for Lukaku it would benefit us massively.

He also has a deceptive amount of ability. I remember Souness being very impressed with him, saying he was more than a "big lump" that people presume. He drops into spaces well, weights passes nicely and that game against Liverpool he absolutely dominated them.

Perhaps most importantly he is the right character for the dressing room. You only need to listen to him analysis after the Burnley defeat to see he would take no prisoners. We need some of that no nonsense leadership.

Of course it will be very difficult to prize him away. He is essential to Watford for the reasons I've mentioned above. I'm sure lots will want a fancy foreign sounding name and will mock people who propose spending upwards of 30 million on Deeney. I'm sure that happened with Leicester fans currently, who would rather have had Slimani over Deeney. Having watched both, who has been better this season?

Good post mate. I do think there has to be a middle point with Rom. There was a lot of effort against Watford, but in all honesty he doesn't know how to press. It's not just as simple are running around lots. If it was, with the nicest will in the world managers like Klopp and Pochetino wouldn't be as good as they are. Firmino for Liverpool is exceptional at pressing for example. His body shape, entry position, speed at which he accelerates/slows down etc. Just getting Rom to run around more won't change his ability in this regards. I think we need to support him properly to do what he does best, which is score goals.

Good post.

With pressing, I think it's about being quick over 5-10 yards with a low centre of gravity. That's why Lennon's great at it. Also it's useless if only one player is doing it, which is usually the case when Lukaku tries it. Mirallas seems to only do it when he feels like it, Deulofeu isn't great at it and Barkley doesn't do it at all.

We had three rank average wingers in the squad, so instead of signing a strike partner for Lukaku, we went and splashed 28m on a fourth rank average winger. Great management.

That's right apart from the final part. In fairness to Bolasie he has looked a class above all of other wingers. I haven't got the stats but I'd hazard a guess he's created more for Lukaku on his own than all of our wingers (maybe even other players full stop) have combined. I know the injury will be used an opportunity to paint a picture of a huge waste of money. In all likelihood it will be, as he has an awful injury. But we shouldn't re-write history, up until his injury Bolasie was head and shoulders above any other creative player in our squad.

Spot on that mate. I have been watching and advocating for Deeney for some time, since we were first linked with him in Martinez's first season. I think he is hugely underated because he comes from none league and he is not a fancy name, while being a bit unorthodox.

On 3 levels I think he'd be a good signing. Firstly his personality, secondly his ability and thirdly what he'd offer for Rom. The Echo did a good piece on him the other day which pointed out everything you can see, namely that he excels in the areas Rom is weak at; hold up play, headers, chances created, assists, ground covered etc. Essentially the Donkey work. I saw him a couple of times last season and he dedicated much of his game to providing chances for the in form Ighalo. If we had someone doing all of that for Lukaku it would benefit us massively.

He also has a deceptive amount of ability. I remember Souness being very impressed with him, saying he was more than a "big lump" that people presume. He drops into spaces well, weights passes nicely and that game against Liverpool he absolutely dominated them.

Perhaps most importantly he is the right character for the dressing room. You only need to listen to him analysis after the Burnley defeat to see he would take no prisoners. We need some of that no nonsense leadership.

Of course it will be very difficult to prize him away. He is essential to Watford for the reasons I've mentioned above. I'm sure lots will want a fancy foreign sounding name and will mock people who propose spending upwards of 30 million on Deeney. I'm sure that happened with Leicester fans currently, who would rather have had Slimani over Deeney. Having watched both, who has been better this season?

Again, good post. Deeney could be a great partner for Lukaku.

Good post.

With pressing, I think it's about being quick over 5-10 yards with a low centre of gravity. That's why Lennon's great at it. Also it's useless if only one player is doing it, which is usually the case when Lukaku tries it. Mirallas seems to only do it when he feels like it, Deulofeu isn't great at it and Barkley doesn't do it at all.

Thanks mate yours too. There is definitely a technique to defending, even defending from the front. And you are right, Lennon and Cleverley are both good at it, in spite of having very little end product they do both close down quite well. Lukaku is very poor at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back