Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a neutral, I can't say I watch Everton often so maybe I'm wrong. But it seems to me that Lukaku has improved a lot on his play in tight spaces. In the past, he looked so clumsy as he struggled to find a balance between his size and the proper finesse required to control the ball with less space.

But he rarely seems to struggle in that department now. Maybe I'm basing that off a small sample size. But against us (Chelsea), Man United and Arsenal, his close control was good.

100% correct there. Signs have been there since the second season that he was improving on his loan spell and he's gradually got better since then.

For a man with that size and bulk, I'm not sure what you expect his first touch to be like. It's never going to be Hazard, Aguero or Sanchez level. It's better than it was at Chelsea or in the games I saw him play on loan at West Brom.

There are enough big guys who have a good touch. I don't expect him to be like Zlatan but his hold up play is shocking sometimes. He will never ever make it at the top teams because when you play there the spaces will be even smaller.

I think if we are to progress under Koeman then lukaku needs to go. He's never going to be the hold up player that is needed. The right player upfront changes our team dynamics completely

I have slated him for his workrate, but like the rest he put in a shift tonight so i'll give him credit for that. His touch and hold up play is still seriously lacking though but as long as he's working hard i'll stay off his back

Some brilliant hold-up play to go with some good pressing and good touches. Should really have had another (brilliant) assist at the end if Barkley just holds his nerve, takes a touch into the box and leathers that one in.

Favourite moment was the sprint in the second half though. Left Gabriel for dead from a good 3 yards behind in a 40 yard dash. Absolute machine.

Idle thought from the match tonight, but might it be worth playing lukaku as the withdrawn striker? When he is the hold up striker, the ball is coming into him with his back to goal, and he doesn't seem to have it in him to trap and turn reliably. However if he were a bit further back with a striker in front of him, he would be more often getting the ball while heading goalwards and picking up a head of steam which seems to suit him better.

Not a goal threat tonight but how did he just suddenly learn how to be a target man? For 60 minutes or so I swear he managed to find a blue shirt with every flick on. It was brilliant.

I thought Lukaku played well last night, he was up for it, that is all I ask of the guy or any player, give 100% every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back