Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listening to TalkSport - Ray Parlour asked him this morning (as he was picking Yannick Bolasie up for training) whether he is going to Chelsea and whether he could tell the Everton fans whether he was happy at Everton.

Now, we all know that he will leave in the summer. We know it. He knows it. Everyone knows it.

But rather than say something like "I am very happy at the moment. I can't predict the future but I am enjoying my football". You know, something slightly humble, he said (para):

"I am just focusing on this season and not thinking about anything"

Perhaps some on here may say potato potato but I just can't remember him ever saying something which makes me believe he is appreciative of playing for us, not since his permanent transfer press conference anyway.

He may be different behind closed doors but to me, it's instances like this which always keep me at arms length in respect of my appreciation of him.

He's a top, top player. Born goalscorer.
I just won't be that arsed when he leaves. Not because I think he should stay forever - of course not - just because whilst he's here I want him to look like he gives a damn and enjoys playing for us. If he doesn't, he should have left in the summer.
I'll get off my soap box now.

You see how happy he was with every other goal on Sunday mate?

As you said, we all know he'll be off at some point.

And while he may not 'be Everton', he definitely enjoys it here.

Plus, he learned the hard way that whatever he says it can and will be interpreted negatively by some, so he now answers with the most neutral thing you can say, "focus on this season, not thinking about anything". Cuz if you're not thinking about anything, nobody can read anything negative in it can they ...

Oh, right ...

Just listening to TalkSport - Ray Parlour asked him this morning (as he was picking Yannick Bolasie up for training) whether he is going to Chelsea and whether he could tell the Everton fans whether he was happy at Everton.

Now, we all know that he will leave in the summer. We know it. He knows it. Everyone knows it.

But rather than say something like "I am very happy at the moment. I can't predict the future but I am enjoying my football". You know, something slightly humble, he said (para):

Perhaps some on here may say potato potato but I just can't remember him ever saying something which makes me believe he is appreciative of playing for us, not since his permanent transfer press conference anyway.

He may be different behind closed doors but to me, it's instances like this which always keep me at arms length in respect of my appreciation of him.

I just won't be that arsed when he leaves. Not because I think he should stay forever - of course not - just because whilst he's here I want him to look like he gives a damn and enjoys playing for us. If he doesn't, he should have left in the summer.

I think that is just a simple stock answer that has probably been coached into him by the new agent to not commit either way and open himself up to further speculation or the stockpile of abuse lined up to be triggered if he says the wrong thing.

No matter how much we as fans dislike the fact - he is not Everton born and bred and will ultimately do whatever is best for Rom and no one else.

We just have to hope that the "project" starts to deliver and take shape in a way that what is best for Rom is to stay with us and carry on slotting them in.

Disagree. He barely celebrates his goals anymore.

He was happy for the young lads, obviously. Mainly though he barely even acknowledges his goals or the goals of others anymore.

Have a look back and compare it to when he signed on loan - running to the crowd, enjoying the adulation.

Now more often than not he just stands there, gets a few high fives and looks sulky.

Don't get me wrong, fair play to him - it's just a job to him. I'm just saying I find his persona quite irritating.

The media can't wait to sell our players for the club.

Disagree. He barely celebrates his goals anymore.

He was happy for the young lads, obviously. Mainly though he barely even acknowledges his goals or the goals of others anymore.

Have a look back and compare it to when he signed on loan - running to the crowd, enjoying the adulation.

Now more often than not he just stands there, gets a few high fives and looks sulky.

Don't get me wrong, fair play to him - it's just a job to him. I'm just saying I find his persona quite irritating.

I'm not sure I'd be running into a crown of people that had been booing me and calling me lazy etc in recent times.

I think its more a case of his celebrations have changed - the arms outstretched looking into the crowd and gently nodding the head has a certain arrogance about it and for me is a bit of a "suck my stump" sort of message to the doubters or those that have been slagging him off recently - no more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back