Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
99.9% done.

The hold up will be us making concrete progress as a club. And Rom is quite right for us to prove to him that is the case, especially as he will have higher profile suitors.

Positives though:
We now have competitive owners. 12 months ago he would be on his way out.
He will be the focus of the club going forward. A number of young, highly talented players coming through and he can be their mentor.
The new stadium. The big one. He can lead us into a new era in a state of the art arena.

Facts are, to public knowledge:
We have still yet to confirm the stadium.
The media still love to pat us on the head (BIG 6 syndrome this season, even though the current league champions, in the last 16 of the CL, are not in that agenda)
We are viewed as a selling club. Rooney, Lescott, Arteta, Rodwell, Stones. It will take a while to lose that tag.

Hence why signing VVD for £50m might not just be about VVD the player.
A highly sort after individual. A record fee for a defender. It would show the media, the players and the fans that we mean business and things have changed. We need that 'Robinho' moment imo.

Reactions: DRM
Just listening to TalkSport - Ray Parlour asked him this morning (as he was picking Yannick Bolasie up for training) whether he is going to Chelsea and whether he could tell the Everton fans whether he was happy at Everton.

Now, we all know that he will leave in the summer. We know it. He knows it. Everyone knows it.

But rather than say something like "I am very happy at the moment. I can't predict the future but I am enjoying my football". You know, something slightly humble, he said (para):

"I am just focusing on this season and not thinking about anything"

Perhaps some on here may say potato potato but I just can't remember him ever saying something which makes me believe he is appreciative of playing for us, not since his permanent transfer press conference anyway.

He may be different behind closed doors but to me, it's instances like this which always keep me at arms length in respect of my appreciation of him.

He's a top, top player. Born goalscorer.
I just won't be that arsed when he leaves. Not because I think he should stay forever - of course not - just because whilst he's here I want him to look like he gives a damn and enjoys playing for us. If he doesn't, he should have left in the summer.
I'll get off my soap box now.

I think he will be with us for a long time personally.

To be honest Tim, he's probably the most natural goalscorer we've had since Lineker but best footballer in the last 30 or so years? Nah. Even if you just go from the start of the history of football in 1992 you've got aforementioned Wayne for starters, Southall, Pienaar, Arteta, Kanchelskis, all better footballers

Beardsley!

He has friends here. He is content. We are not matching his ambitions atm, so I wouldn't wish him ill if he left as he can make a huge impact wherever he goes. It is nothing personal if he leaves. We'd all love to see him say "I love Everton," but he only gets so much crap for not saying it because we can't afford to lose him.

I don't hate him.

I respect him.

I think he's a very good footballer.

I just think comments which do nothing than keep the conversation about his impending, inevitable exit going are irritating.

Do you think if he says "I am happy here" as he was prompted to do by Parlour, Chelsea / Barca / Real Madrid etc won't still come in for him in the summer?

Instead he chose, obviously advised by his agent as a stock answer, to "refuse to rule anything out".

To answer your question, no. They'll still come in for him if they want him. It makes absolutely no difference what he says.

As has been said previously, his answer was about the best he could do, without completely ignoring Parlour, to make the exchange completely insignificant, which it is (or should be).

99.9% done.

The hold up will be us making concrete progress as a club. And Rom is quite right for us to prove to him that is the case, especially as he will have higher profile suitors.

Positives though:
We now have competitive owners. 12 months ago he would be on his way out.
He will be the focus of the club going forward. A number of young, highly talented players coming through and he can be their mentor.
The new stadium. The big one. He can lead us into a new era in a state of the art arena.

Facts are, to public knowledge:
We have still yet to confirm the stadium.
The media still love to pat us on the head (BIG 6 syndrome this season, even though the current league champions, in the last 16 of the CL, are not in that agenda)
We are viewed as a selling club. Rooney, Lescott, Arteta, Rodwell, Stones. It will take a while to lose that tag.

A highly sort after individual. A record fee for a defender. It would show the media, the players and the fans that we mean business and things have changed. We need that 'Robinho' moment imo.

"Yes, I thought I was joining Manchester United, I was misled by all involved. I wasn't aware of another Manchester team"- Robinho

If they didn't buy so much dross, doing this to a Liverpool signing would be hilarious

"Yes, I thought I was joining Manchester United, I was misled by all involved. I wasn't aware of another Manchester team"- Robinho

If they didn't buy so much dross, doing this to a Liverpool signing would be hilarious

I know that was what happened, but the logic still remains. We need to sign a player who the darling 6 want.

I know that was what happened, but the logic still remains. We need to sign a player who the darling 6 want.
Agreed, would be a clear sign of intent, but getting them here would not be easy. We couldn't get Sissoko so a top, top, player may be a reach... unless we hijacked one ;)

99.9% done.

Overpaying for a Southampton defender who is having a real nice season and that most people outside the premership have never even heard of isn't a "Robinho" moment.

A "Robinho" moment would have coming in late with the craziest stupidest money and taking Pogba off of Man Utd.

The situation is the same as Stones in that it's the non signing of than shinny new contract that for me would say far more than a few carefully chosen or scripted comments.
I can't believe the club aren't fully aware of what he wants, whatever that is, nor dare I suggest will the clubs that are the clubs who maybe sniffing around.
I am far from convinced that his value is north of what it was in July 2016 but as his current contract ticks down it isn't going to rise significantly irrespective
There is no doubt that despite the optimism pre season nothing really much has changed in terms of challenging for the PL , qualifying for European competition or the squad being enhanced by way of stellar signings.
I can't help but feel that Costa at Chelsea has been promised a transfer come end of season and if that is a case RL will know that from either through his Belgium teammates at Chelsea , the agent network or a nod and a wink from somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back