Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not talking about distance covered. The article eluded to it yes but, as per my examples of Lew'ski and Costa, there are other ways that you can assist your team than doing a Firmino and running around like a lunatic.

By Messi waiting for key moments, I agree. He's always reading the game, pulling himself into dangerous areas which in turn open the game up for Iniesta etc. He's not aimlessly walking in no apparent direction. Does Lukaku does this?

Ronaldo is the same. His movement is fantastic. He also holds the ball extremely well and consistenly. Does Lukaku do this?

Rather than comparing Lukaku to Messi and Ronaldo, I am merely putting out (using the extremes) that the very best players have more strings to their bow than scoring goals. I also used strikers in the level below to firm up the point.

Lew'ski - hold up play: Does Lukaku do this well enough? No.
Griezemann - clever creativity and invention. Does Lukaku do this? rarely.
Aguero - movement into the channels, pulling defenders into areas they hate to me. Does Lukaku do this? Rarely if ever.
Costa - Aggressively dominates CBs, whether it's hounding them without the ball or making sure the ball sticks, make them commit and then bring others into play. Does Lukaku do this? Yeah - more regularly but still not consistently well.

My point is simple. Can Lukaku can be better than he is, absolutely. If he were to add some of the above into his game and do it as well as the aforementioned, he'd probably not score many more goals himself BUT we would concede less and score more collectively as a team.

So in short, he just needs to hold it up like Lewandowski, create like Griezemann, run channels like Aguero and be aggressive like Costa? No pressure Rom!

All of those great players have their weaknesses too. Lewandowski can't sprint through a defence like Lukaku can. Griezemann can't bully defenders like Lukaku can. Aguero isn't as good in the air as Lukaku. Diego Costa has actual rabies.

You're right that Lukaku could improve, but find me a player who couldn't.

I just wish more people would appreciate him for what he is, instead of getting on his back for what he isn't.

So in short, he just needs to hold it up like Lewandowski, create like Griezemann, run channels like Aguero and be aggressive like Costa? No pressure Rom!

All of those players have their weaknesses too. Lewandowski can't sprint through a defence like Lukaku can. Griezemann can't bully defenders like Lukaku can. Aguero isn't as good in the air as Lukaku. Diego Costa has actual rabies.

You're right that Lukaku could improve, but find me a player who couldn't.

I just wish more people would appreciate him for what he is, instead of getting on his back for what he isn't.

Eh? I am saying each of them have goalscoring + another aspect of their game. I'm not saying Lukaku has to have them all. And yes, they all have weaknesses too.

In summary:

the best strikers in the world aren't just goalscorers. they have at least something else to their game which they are fantastic at which positively influences their team and team-mates.

At the moment, Lukaku - more often than not - is just a goalscorer.

And I do appreciate what he is. A 23-ish year old with potentially the world at his feet. As long as it's constructive, there is nothing wrong with debating what he could bet better at.

I can't believe there isn't total adoration for Lukaku, he's the best striker we've had since Lineker. Just because he doesn't run around quite as much as Steven Naismith did, he doesn't get the same affection?! nuts.
It'll be a sad day when he's sold because we won't be able to get a striker as good no matter how much he goes for.
We've got to get out of this mindset of loving a plucky trier and start judging players on whether they can be in a league winning side.

Eh? I am saying each of them have goalscoring + another aspect of their game. I'm not saying Lukaku has to have them all. And yes, they all have weaknesses too.

In summary:

the best strikers in the world aren't just goalscorers. they have at least something else to their game which they are fantastic at which positively influences their team and team-mates.

And I do appreciate what he is. A 23-ish year old with potentially the world at his feet. As long as it's constructive, there is nothing wrong with debating what he could bet better at.

The thing is, he comes in for far more scrutiny than the likes of Tim Cahill did. I think the reason why is because he doesn't bang on about Everton being the greatest club in the world all the time. He's a level above most who've played for Everton over the last generation, and while every players game is open to debate, the amount of criticism this fella gets is unreal.

The thing is, he comes in for far more scrutiny than the likes of Tim Cahill did. I think the reason why is because he doesn't bang on about Everton being the greatest club in the world all the time. He's a level above most who've played for Everton over the last generation, and while every players game is open to debate, the amount of criticism this fella gets is unreal.

And in my defence here, I think i'm being thrown in with those who do criticise him. I'm not and would have no problem admitting it if I were.

He is an unbelievable goalscorer. The best we've had in decades.

Is he though an elite striker? Not for me. It will only be when he inevitably leaves for one of those clubs that we will see him evolve into one of the world's best players.

Agree and disagree on Cahill. Lukaku is obviously 10x the talent but Cahill was constantly putting himself about for the team. He scored goals and made sure he was always helping his team with other aspects of the game, leading to his cult status.

Last edited:
Lukaku played very well on Saturday, without scoring.

The one chance he did have he hit the post with a first-time effort.

This has gone massively under the radar due to the barkley tap in which was offside.

First time half volley on the turn with a spinning ball and he beat a keeper who was in top form that day. Incredibly unlucky not to score.

In summary:

Fair enough. In my opinion, in the vast majority of cases, the stick he gets is not constructive.

I disgree that he is "just" a goalscorer. 4 assists so far this season. Created 51 chances last season, more than any striker in the league. Games like Arsenal at home this season, he didn't score but put himself about fantastically and played a huge part in the win.

Hate these comparisons......Lukaku is 23, Costa is 28 and in his prime ffs!!!

Would it not be more fair to compare Costa's career at the age of 23 ?????
Plus Costa plays in a team where he can actually do a lot more sprints forward than Lukaku.

The whole 'Lukaku doesn't run enough' is such a worn out argument. It's starting to get boring. His stocky build will limit his running, but what he lacks in that department he makes up for in his strength. Arguably the most effective forward who can shrug almost anyone off the ball like nothing.

Yes his intensity and pressing could improve. No doubting that. But it'll never be to the levels of other world class strikers, because Lukaku has a unique, naturally physical big build. But he makes up for it with his strength and power, which is a major factor that people overlook when easily criticising him for his lack of intense running.

I think it's incredible that the lad has never had a serious injury. And he's been playing professional 1st team football since he was 16.

Fair enough. In my opinion, in the vast majority of cases, the stick he gets is not constructive.

I disgree that he is "just" a goalscorer. 4 assists so far this season. Created 51 chances last season, more than any striker in the league. Games like Arsenal at home this season, he didn't score but put himself about fantastically and played a huge part in the win.

Absolutely, that idea's been complete nonsense for a good while now. I'm happy people are now realising it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back