Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have learned in my work is that a deal that is99% agreed and becomes seriously delayed is because the party receiving the offer is using his agent to fish for a counter offer elsewhere.

There is about a 20% chance that Rom will sign. Even if he does, there will be a release clause.

In Rom's head, it is all about Rom

I don't see any other explanaition for why he hasn't signed yet, it has to be his agent trying to get other clubs to come in. The contract has been 99.9% done for months. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have signed it if he wanted to by now.

Rom will sign a new contract i am sure of it. Whether that will keep him here is another thing but I think a lot of us thought he would be gone already by now so can't second guess what his intentions are. I hope we have a strong finish to the season and push the 4th and 5th placed teams all the way so we can show him Koeman is the right man for the job and one more season here could well give him what he wants all along.

Lukaku is a great striker and we're lucky to have him :-) Himself and his agent know that his an offer from us ready to be signed and maybe he wants to ensure we're doing what we promised him before he signs? same way if we're certain and guaranteed European football maybe that was what was agreed? He'll be here in summer and we need to get him to stay as there's not many better players around in his position and don't see a ready made replacement anywhere we could buy to fit us

What I have learned in my work is that a deal that is99% agreed and becomes seriously delayed is because the party receiving the offer is using his agent to fish for a counter offer elsewhere.

There is about a 20% chance that Rom will sign. Even if he does, there will be a release clause.

In Rom's head, it is all about Rom
This.
There can be no other explanation. It may even be they are monitoring other club's contract situations with their own strikers, such as Costa at Chelsea etc, so as to keep options open as long as possible and maybe gain more bargaining power.
Rom and his agent are no different to any other such player agent at the top end globally. It is what it is.

This.
There can be no other explanation. It may even be they are monitoring other club's contract situations with their own strikers, such as Costa at Chelsea etc, so as to keep options open as long as possible and maybe gain more bargaining power.
Rom and his agent are no different to any other such player agent at the top end globally. It is what it is.

Maybe we are delaying it ourselves to make it as close to the summer as possible. New contract close to summer = no sale, no rumours, no fuss

He's gone lads. Let's hold hands and look to the future

Not after what you said in the other thread.

As for Rom, as much as I love him, I can't help but feel his sale is more likely to propel Everton into the top 4 than any number of goals he might score. It's going to be one of the most significant opportunities in the club's Premier League history, and with Koeman, Walsh and, to a lesser extent, Unsworth, in charge, there's a great chance the club gets it right.

Not after what you said in the other thread.

As for Rom, as much as I love him, I can't help but feel his sale is more likely to propel Everton into the top 4 than any number of goals he might score. It's going to be one of the most significant opportunities in the club's Premier League history, and with Koeman, Walsh and, to a lesser extent, Unsworth, in charge, there's a great chance the club gets it right.
In my opinion Rom will only be fully appreciated once he's gone. His goals have bailed us out so many times over the last 4 seasons. Right now we have a border line world class striker. This is the hardest thing to get in football. Someone who guarantees you 20-25 goals a season.

In terms of a replacement the best we could hope for is a young player (I.e. the next Rom) who for some reason all the other big clubs won't take a punt on/whose scouts have somehow missed. Chances of this are small but I guess that's why we have people like Walsh at the club.

The safer (albeit less lucrative) way of replacing him would to go for someone already is ROM's class, but who is 29+ and after one last payday. The downside to this is that that there will be no sell on fee, the transfer fee will still be reasonably high, and the wages will be astronomical.

However, we will not be able to sign a player of Rom's ability, physical attributes, and age. It will not happen. Other clubs with bigger budgets and CL football will want these players and will get them before we do. I know we probably have more money now but Moshiri isn't writing blank cheques and will, it seems, only operate within FFP. If we have to play by the rules we won't get the top floor players.

I get what your saying that with the money we would get from the Rom sale we could re-build the team and improve the aggregate ability of the squad. But would that really work? Did it work for spurs when they sold Bale? What about the RS when they let Suarez go? Plus we would only get the big money if he signs the new contract. Without it he only has 2 years left. We'll only get 50mil for him I reckon. With a new deal it could be 70-80. We NEED him to sign it.

However, if I was Lukaku now there'd be no way I'd be signing a new deal with Everton. What's the point? A lower transfer fee will mean higher signing on fee/wages. Plus higher agent fees for Raola (whatever his name is). He's been here 4 years and we've done very little to push on. No one can accuse him of being disloyal at this point. If he had pushed for a move either last summer or the summer before he'd have definitely got one. Maybe not to a Bayern or Real (where he ideally wants to go) but certainly to somewhere like PSG or Athletico.

The very best we can hope for is he signs and gives it one more year. If we are not in the top 4 in May 2018 he's gone. If he does sign we need to do everything to show him our ambition. We've shown a bit of ambition over the past 12 months but when you remove all the Jim whites quotes and transfer rumors and general meetings it all boils down to a bit of cladding on the stadium, Koeman's massive wages, Martinez's compensation, and Morgan Schneiderlin. This is not enough to push on and certainly not enough to keep a player of Lukaku's class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back