Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
£75 release clause, get him a new contract show people we mean business, keep him happy at us.. lets be honest theres not many clubs in the world who could afford him and out of those who can theres only 1 or 2 that would maybe want him. nothing to worry about. he will sign a new deal, I think his laughing answers next to the everton staff are a good indication of that

Here you go, finally found it somewhere:

Quick translate:

Are you going to sign that contract?

No

Are you going to change your opinion?

No

Any chance you'll change your point of view?

No

The fact that he's saying that he even ain't thinking of Everton anymore says a lot doesn't it? He's just screwing with the interviewer..
Belgian media makin a story of it coz they really want him to be at a bigger club

Only thing with that is, what's the point in having £90m to spend with a week or so of the window to go? We'd never be able to spend it (wisely at least), fans would still be furious and the board would get hammered for selling to balance the books (whether true or not). If there is to be a release clause it should be one figure, take it or leave it. We should be in control...

We're not in control though, players have the power.

If Lukaku refuses to sign a new deal we'll either have to sell this summer, prob for around £70m or next summer, after having a player on our books who's not happy and prob going to play worse for a season, for less than the release clauses we're trying to put in his contract.

It's not in our interest to play hardball too much because it may backfire and he just refuses to sign any contract. In which case we're better off negotiating a 'reasonable' release clause with him.

I can see it becoming a ratcheting clause, the closer it gets to the start of the season/end of the transfer window the higher the clause gets.

But for me the deal has to go through before the date not just the bid. Not sure what the exact dates of the window are but something like this:

Before 5 July : £75 million
Before 20 July : £80 million
Before 1 August : £85 million
£90 million thereafter.

You think the longer his contract runs down the higher we should try putting the release clause? The longer this goes on the lower his valuation will be and the more pressure there will be on us to negotiate a release clause before we get to the point where we have to sell.

It's pointless playing hardball when if Lukaku doens't sign a new contract, chances are we'll have to sell him, sooner rather than later and probably for less than the kind of fee him and his agent originally wanted in the contract.

Tbh we should agree to a £75 million release clause that can only be activated AFTER next season. That way they get the figure they want whilst we ensure we keep him for one more season to try and crack the top 4/win a trophy. Then if we don't he has our blessing to leave the season after.

£75 release clause, get him a new contract show people we mean business, keep him happy at us.. lets be honest theres not many clubs in the world who could afford him and out of those who can theres only 1 or 2 that would maybe want him. nothing to worry about. he will sign a new deal, I think his laughing answers next to the everton staff are a good indication of that

Progba costed £89m. I don't think it's not fair to ask £90m plus. Lukaku will probably be the top PL scorer by May as it looks like Kane is out.

Having said that, I would like him to sign a new contract and make progress under Koeman.

Tbh we should agree to a £75 million release clause that can only be activated AFTER next season. That way they get the figure they want whilst we ensure we keep him for one more season to try and crack the top 4/win a trophy. Then if we don't he has our blessing to leave the season after.

I think that would be the most sensible option for all parties tbh.

I can't see him signing if we stick by the £90m figure. May be a chance if we go to 80m but I think having him for at least another season is worth more to us than an extra 10-20m.

Would anyone really be upset if someone in the future activated a £75m release clause? Besides, nobody wanted him for £60m in the summer.

I wouldn't but a lot will judge his value compared to the likes of Pogba. I think that'd be fair enough if he were in the first 3 years of a 5 year deal but as he isn't we have to be more realistic.

Juventus are a bigger club globally and wether we like it or not you have to pay a premium to buy a player from a rich club that doesn't have to sell. It's not always comparing like for like with transfer valuations.

I wouldn't but a lot will judge his value compared to the likes of Pogba. I think that'd be fair enough if he were in the first 3 years of a 5 year deal but as he isn't we have to be more realistic.

Juventus are a bigger club globally and wether we like it or not you have to pay a premium to buy a player from a rich club that doesn't have to sell. It's not always comparing like for like with transfer valuations.
Liken the situation to Suarez. The club are not currently meeting his expectations so if the chance to go to a club that wins silverware arrives, he'll be gone. We'll get 2-2.5x what we paid for him and go out and get a replacement.
A relationship only works if both parties are invested.

Liken the situation to Suarez. The club are not currently meeting his expectations so if the chance to go to a club that wins silverware arrives, he'll be gone. We'll get 2-2.5x what we paid for him and go out and get a replacement.
A relationship only works if both parties are invested.

Too true.

I get the feeling not everyone with have such a balanced view though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back