Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misunderstanding. Yeah right.

He'll sign because he has no choice if we hardball him and call his agents bluff. No club will pay what we want for him in that case because of the question marks hanging over him.

A change of tract by Koeman? He said on the MOTD interview that ultimately the decision on if Lukaku will stay will be made by the player. If that's the case, he's gone.
I think ultimately it will be the players decision as he simply doesn't have to sign a new deal. He can just sit it out if he has the will and patience. Where the club are in a stronger position is in regard to clubs approaching us this summer for Rom because he has 2 years left. We can play that game of driving a hard bargain etc etc. Less so at end of next season. Ross is approaching that critical stage though. We can't let him get to the end of the summer window without signing a new deal.

I think ultimately it will be the players decision as he simply doesn't have to sign a new deal. He can just sit it out if he has the will and patience. Where the club are in a stronger position is in regard to clubs approaching us this summer for Rom because he has 2 years left. We can play that game of driving a hard bargain etc etc. Less so at end of next season. Ross is approaching that critical stage though. We can't let him get to the end of the summer window without signing a new deal.

Raiola wants the new deal with a minimum fee release clause so he wins twice - he gets the bonus for the new contract, and the bonus for when he leaves.

We should hardball this. Unless Everton are actually skint and need the money, there's no reason to bend over over this.

He'll sign because he has no choice if we hardball him and call his agents bluff. No club will pay what we want for him in that case because of the question marks hanging over him.

It's still just a game of manoeuvring being played out right now IMO, how it'll ultimately end up - got no idea, but would be amusing as anything if Rom ends up going on a mad scoring run - fires us into the top 4 at the end of the season, and then has to wriggle out of why he wanted to leave to play CL when he'd just got us there...

Actually think we will have him one more season (new contract or not), but think no matter what happens we won't see him beyond that playing for us...

There is an obvious misunderstanding. Or rather there's the truth and there's what the media are selling.

He never said he's leaving. He never said he's not signing any contract whatsoever. He said he's not signing that particular contract. Whether that's because of wages, the need for future assurances or because of a particular release clause, we don't know.

But I for one still think he'll be here next season. I hope the board show him our ambition (rather than just telling him our ambition) and we can get some more players of his calibre. I have no doubt that Koeman is a top manager and given some extra resources we can definitely challenge the top 4. Rom is a much smarter man than most footballers, and he will know the grass is not always greener AND he still has at least 9-10 years of his career left at the top level, so anyone acting like he's got one foot out the door is being too pessimistic.

Raiola wants the new deal with a minimum fee release clause so he wins twice - he gets the bonus for the new contract, and the bonus for when he leaves.

We should hardball this. Unless Everton are actually skint and need the money, there's no reason to bend over over this.
Agreed mate. Stick with the current deal (no release clause I'm assuming). Unless somebody comes in with a mega offer (Pogba esque) Rom stays for one more year.
Then the following summer we sell. We'd still get a good price as there'll be no shortage of takers at £60m ish.

Is it known whether Lukaku has a release clause in his current deal? I'm guessing not.

If that's the case, I can't see us selling this summer - even if he outright rejects the new deal.

The optimist in me thinks we'll be challenging for top 4 next season, and as such Lukaku may get his Champions League wish with us.

If not, then we sell next summer. Seems fair enough to me.

Yep, he wanted a release clause that he knew a club would pay this summer. The lack of that clause makes him harder to place as we'll dig our heels in.

Correct. The club have played a blinder either way. We will get either a huge fee or a new contract with a big release fee or no release fee.

The only thing that's certain is come September 1st Lukaku won't be on 70k per week.

Is it known whether Lukaku has a release clause in his current deal? I'm guessing not.

If that's the case, I can't see us selling this summer - even if he outright rejects the new deal.

The optimist in me thinks we'll be challenging for top 4 next season, and as such Lukaku may get his Champions League wish with us.

If not, then we sell next summer. Seems fair enough to me.

..unless he runs down his final year and leaves for nothing on a Bosman.

Also it would be nice to talk about him as an actual player.

Like how it was really boss the way he lofted a perfect chip for Valencia all the while looking like he was barely having to try. Or when he was gifted a goal at the end but instead of kicking it into the keeper or falling over him like most recent Everton strikers before him, he instinctively does a step over, leaves the keeper on his arse and slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back