Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's good at mouthing off but i think Rom is bit of a flat track bully.When the going get's tough and on the biggest occasions he goes missing.Last seasons FA Cup semi final being a case in point.Will he prove me wrong at Anfield on Saturday or will he fail to deliver just like how he failed to deliver in that semi final against United?

If you remember last summer the London based press, particularly the Evening Standard, ran a number of stories linking Lukaku with Chelsea. The language used in those reports always suggested that Chelsea were supremely confident that a deal would be done and was in fact imminent. The tone hinted that this was more than the usual 'player linked to another club' story.

The press were clearly being briefed by Chelsea and finding Everton reluctant to do business they obviously tried to force the issue by encouraging Rom to request the transfer. It was probably Moshiri who talked him around with big promises... promises that Rom doesn't yet feel have been fulfilled.

That's the most conjecture I've ever seen strung together in 2 paragraphs.

Wilson hits nail on the head.. and pretty complimentary about us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/30/everton-striker-romelu-lukaku
Everton’s Romelu Lukaku is a traditional No 9 who could play in any era
Jonathan WilsonLast modified on Friday 31 March 2017 08.00 AEDT
5568.jpg

There is much about modern football that would bewilder a visitor from 100 years ago. Even after they had got used to the lightweight kit, the ball that bent and swerved and did not absorb water as the game went on, the firm and grassy pitches, the goalkeepers in latex gloves and the extraordinary cost of everything, they would still be puzzled by how the game was played.

Why all the defenders? And why did they all play so far from their goal? And what was the goalkeeper doing coming that far out? (Get back! You’re not Leigh Roose!). And why did so many strikers play like GO Smith of the Corinthians, dropping deep all the time? But Everton would provide him with some solace.

All the seats and the blue plastic might confuse him but the Archibald Leitch latticework along the front of two stands would be familiar. And then they would see Romelu Lukaku and recognise a player they understood absolutely.

Lukaku is a striker as old as football itself. This is what centre-forwards have always done. They are big and quick and powerful. They stand around the box. They win headers. They score goals. From Dixie Dean to Didier Drogba, this is the image of the No9. Football is a sport that has undergone countless transformations in its century and a half of codified existence. Other positions have been evolved beyond all recognition. It is one of the great strengths of football that it can be played in so many ways. But however many variants of the centre-forward there now are, from poachers to false nines, there will always be a place in the game for strikers who can outpace and outmuscle the opposition and score goals. Lukaku stands in the oldest of traditions.

The Belgium striker’s 21 league goals this season are all the more impressive when it is borne in mind that he does not take Everton’s penalties. He has scored a free-kick but his other 20 goals have all come from inside the box, nine with his left foot, six with his right and five with his head. It is that aerial ability that sets him in the lineage of the traditional centre-forward: he wins 3.6 duels per game, the ninth highest figure in the league for a forward.

There are doubts about him. He can fade out of games. He remains something of a mood player, although it should be remembered that he is still only 23: only Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney have reached 50 Premier League goals at a younger age. Age may bring greater consistency, although his three younger predecessors suggest it may merely bring heavier limbs.

His first touch can be heavy. Only nine players have been dispossessed more than him this season, although given that list includes Diego Costa, Alexis Sánchez, Raheem Sterling and Sadio Mané, that stat perhaps says little more than that he plays as a forward. Fewer than two in three of his passes find their target. If touch can be measured by how often poor control has cost him possession, Lukaku actually ranks relatively well: he is only the 21st worst offender, behind Mané, Sanchez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sergio Agüero, Paul Pogba, Harry Kane and Diego Costa.

His zone of operation is bracingly old-fashioned: no outfield player ran less than him last season. Although Ronald Koeman has tried to encourage him to lead the press, the comparison with his opposite number on Saturday is telling: Lukaku runs an average 2.8km per game less than Roberto Firmino. The benefit of that is perhaps seen in the fact that 10 of his goals have come in the final quarter-hour of games. If he ran more earlier in the game, would diminished freshness make him less effective in those closing minutes?

And that, perhaps, is the most intriguing of the doubts about him. Ibrahimovic speaks fondly in his autobiography of getting to Juventus where Fabio Capello promised to “knock Ajax out of your body” and encouraged him to haunt the box, focusing on goalscoring.

Koeman now, without the pressure of Ajax’s expected style of play – as embodied by his technical director Louis van Gaal – is a more relaxed figure, more prepared to let Lukaku be the player he is rather than the player the system demands he ought to be, but that post-Cruyff philosophy remains dominant at many of Europe’s top clubs.

Lukaku, for instance, could not successfully change places with Firmino, who makes eight times more tackles per game. Nor would he fit in at Tottenham, Manchester City or Barcelona. A club of Everton’s stature will bend to accommodate a talent like Lukaku; the absolute elite will not. That is why, with his new contract unsigned, the two clubs leading the queue are Chelsea and Manchester United, both of which, under their current managers, would prioritise goals over assimilation.

But he is far from unique in that. Just because Lukaku is not a modish type of forward does not mean that he is not an extremely effective one. And if the visitor from 100 years ago wanted to take him back, he would be effective then as well.

Romelu Lukaku has already regaled everyone with the strikers he regards as the best on the planet or, as he succinctly put it, “[Luis] Suarez, [Robert] Lewandowski, [Karim] Benzema, [Edinson] Cavani. That’s it. I’m not looking at the rest. No chance.”

So, it would be interesting if he ever reels off the names of his toughest opponent. Perhaps Vincent Kompany and John Terry would feature. What about Farhad Moshiri?

Everton turned down a £70 million bid from Chelsea last summer for Lukaku with Moshiri newly ensconced at Goodison Park as the club’s major shareholder. Almost 12 months on, there is no suggestion the Iranian billionaire is about to roll over and wave the forward through the exit door despite his apparent eagerness to move on.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F9de826ea-0e26-11e7-ba25-b39dfd977d66.jpg

This is the new Everton that Lukaku is signed up to for the next two years. A club intent on challenging their rivals and one for whom Lukaku’s value is best measured in a blue jersey rather than a fantasy figure transfer fee that would simply swell an already considerable kitty.

Of course, it is true that the player’s agent, Mino Raiola, has a habit of making deals happen and delivering what buying clubs — and his clients — want.

Raiola was a guest last Thursday at the London premiere of Everton chairman Bill Kenwright’s new film “Another Woman’s Son” and was spotted in conversation with Moshiri and, briefly, manager Ronald Koeman.

Yet it was Kenwright and Moshiri who were sat together. They share the tightest of bonds and the strongest of desires to re-establish the Merseyside club as a force.

Chelsea will be back and there is plenty about a return to Stamford Bridge that will appeal to Lukaku
There is no smoke and mirrors about Lukaku’s unwillingness to sign the most lucrative contract in Everton’s history at £140,000 a week. It is not about release clauses. The subject has not featured during discussions with Everton having made clear at the outset of talks that one would not be entertained.

They have steadfastly refused to insert them into contracts ever since reluctantly agreeing to Marouane Fellaini’s demands for an exit figure which led to his move to Manchester United in 2013 [ironically, United CEO Ed Woodward ended up paying more than he would have needed to a few weeks earlier as Kenwright showed himself to be negotiator extraordinaire once more].

This is purely about Lukaku, who is proving himself worth in the region of the £89 million fee United paid for Paul Pogba, wanting to play in the Champions League. It is an ambition of which he has hardly made a secret.

“I have been playing [professionally] since I was 16 and never had a taste of the Champions League. It is going to be seven years. You think about it,” he said in March last year, almost 12 months to the very day last week when he repeated that sermon.

He is in a hurry to succeed and his numbers as a goalscorer are quite exceptional. Chelsea will be back and there is plenty about a return to Stamford Bridge that will appeal to Lukaku, three years after his permanent exit.

Yet he should be wary of Koeman’s comments in the aftermath of the interview, which appeared in The Times and underlined where the 23-year-old marksman sees himself and caused such a furore.

“I am not so afraid of his situation because the player has two more years on his contract,” said Koeman, who has started speaking like the manager Evertonians would expect him to be after the faux pas earlier in his tenure.

“Of course that gives me confidence. Everyone knows what can happen in football, but you need to respect your contract.

“The final word is always to the board of the club and if we don’t sell the player, we don’t sell the player. The people in the club are really strong enough to keep something and, if we go to that direction, it’s the final decision for the board of the club.”

Moshiri has blocked Lukaku’s departure once. An interesting summer looms.
Looks like Joyce has been briefed (again)

Maybe there's more to it when Rom stated "decision's been made"
Maybe its not him making the decision.

OR

In 12 months time he has had a bad season through an injury, a negative attitude due to him having been forced to stay another year or perhaps even goes through a period out of the team through a loss of form.There is no CL qualification for Everton nor are any club in the CL prepared to pay even £30 million .Then the player says sod you I am going to run my contract down and leave on a Bosman . Everton are then faced with accepting whatever is offered if the player likes the destination or he walks in June 2019.
Won't happen I hear you say but a player is only one tackle away from a year or so out.
The reality is players take more and more control of the situation and Everton are no where near enough stable financially to write of potentially tens of millions and that is where the club really are. If he wants out this summer and no new contract has been signed he is gone.

I don't see the relevance or the concern here. We paid £28M and he will have been here 4 seasons in your scenario...that's only £7M a year. If we get nothing for him we've not lost too much, but the chances of it being zero is very very slim...somebody will pay money if they are not front of the freebis queue.
If he gets a bad tackle so what?

He's good at mouthing off but i think Rom is bit of a flat track bully.When the going get's tough and on the biggest occasions he goes missing.Last seasons FA Cup semi final being a case in point.Will he prove me wrong at Anfield on Saturday or will he fail to deliver just like how he failed to deliver in that semi final against United?

That post went down a treat lol.I'll elaborate more.Lukaku failed to deliver in our biggest game of the season last year.After all his big talk it will be intresting to see will he deliver in our biggest game this season on Saturday.Im not sure Roms scoring record away at the big premiership grounds is that great either.Obviously i hope he proves me wrong but i think it's only fair to highlight this issue.

OR

In 12 months time he has had a bad season through an injury, a negative attitude due to him having been forced to stay another year or perhaps even goes through a period out of the team through a loss of form.There is no CL qualification for Everton nor are any club in the CL prepared to pay even £30 million .Then the player says sod you I am going to run my contract down and leave on a Bosman . Everton are then faced with accepting whatever is offered if the player likes the destination or he walks in June 2019.
Won't happen I hear you say but a player is only one tackle away from a year or so out.
The reality is players take more and more control of the situation and Everton are no where near enough stable financially to write of potentially tens of millions and that is where the club really are. If he wants out this summer and no new contract has been signed he is gone.
John Stones

That post went down a treat lol.I'll elaborate more.Lukaku failed to deliver in our biggest game of the season last year.After all his big talk it will be intresting to see will he deliver in our biggest game this season on Saturday.Im not sure Roms scoring record away at the big premiership grounds is that great either.Obviously i hope he proves me wrong but i think it's only fair to highlight this issue.
We wouldn't have been in that game had Rom not stepped up and done the business against Chelsea in the previous round. This whole team soils their pants in the big games at the moment and Rom isn't good enough yet to win games on his own. Hopefully that all starts to change in the next 7 days.

I don't see the relevance or the concern here. We paid £28M and he will have been here 4 seasons in your scenario...that's only £7M a year. If we get nothing for him we've not lost too much, but the chances of it being zero is very very slim...somebody will pay money if they are not front of the freebis queue.
If he gets a bad tackle so what?

The first thing is that although not broken down in the accounts I would suspect that possibly as much as40% of that fee remains outstanding ( a few clubs payall transfer fees upfront but Everton aren't one of those clubs)
Ok mine is a doomsday scenario his value to the club decreases at the rate of 1/5 per annum is correct but that's in accounting terms there is no doubt at this time RL is seen as an appreciating asset. His assumed value by all is greater than the amount he cost but as his contract counts down his sale on value declines as each transfer window comes and goes to a point when potentially Everton won't get a penny for him.There are just 3 transfer windows before he can openly negotiate with possible suitors.
I am a bit surprised you dismiss the consequences or even the possibly of a bad injury. God forbid he goes through anything akin to what Seamus is going through but that possibility is a everyday risk in the football. In the blink of an eye a bad injury can occur.
Long term financial planning in football has always been an extremely difficult task .
The bean counters at Everton , indeed every club, whilst not picking the team will be widely consulted in terms of the clubs exposure on a player by player basis. There is no way Everton will let the situation arise where the clubcould potentially loose Lukaku for anything close to his amortised value or come to that south of the fee originally paid. If his contract continues to wind down first below 2 years and then into the last yearand based on how many say Everton should approach the matter then there is a significant risk of that happening.
It's worth looking at the Sanchez and indeed Ozil situation at Arsenal both are soon to enter the last year of their contracts.Fast forward 12 months and that is where Everton would be if RL isn't sold in then next two windows.
Sanchez it seems has said he wants to stay in London , Arsenal say they want £50 million for him but won't sale to a rival. This week Sanchez has come out and said he will see out his contract and then move to a club that wins or challenges for titles.The power has shifted to the player. Arsenal say they don't have to sale but if Sanchez doesn't sign a new contract someone will get a top top player on a Bosman and Arsenal will have gambled away potentially £50 million. That quite simply won't happen

The first thing is that although not broken down in the accounts I would suspect that possibly as much as40% of that fee remains outstanding ( a few clubs payall transfer fees upfront but Everton aren't one of those clubs)
Ok mine is a doomsday scenario his value to the club decreases at the rate of 1/5 per annum is correct but that's in accounting terms there is no doubt at this time RL is seen as an appreciating asset. His assumed value by all is greater than the amount he cost but as his contract counts down his sale on value declines as each transfer window comes and goes to a point when potentially Everton won't get a penny for him.There are just 3 transfer windows before he can openly negotiate with possible suitors.
I am a bit surprised you dismiss the consequences or even the possibly of a bad injury. God forbid he goes through anything akin to what Seamus is going through but that possibility is a everyday risk in the football. In the blink of an eye a bad injury can occur.
Long term financial planning in football has always been an extremely difficult task .
The bean counters at Everton , indeed every club, whilst not picking the team will be widely consulted in terms of the clubs exposure on a player by player basis. There is no way Everton will let the situation arise where the clubcould potentially loose Lukaku for anything close to his amortised value or come to that south of the fee originally paid. If his contract continues to wind down first below 2 years and then into the last yearand based on how many say Everton should approach the matter then there is a significant risk of that happening.
It's worth looking at the Sanchez and indeed Ozil situation at Arsenal both are soon to enter the last year of their contracts.Fast forward 12 months and that is where Everton would be if RL isn't sold in then next two windows.
Sanchez it seems has said he wants to stay in London , Arsenal say they want £50 million for him but won't sale to a rival. This week Sanchez has come out and said he will see out his contract and then move to a club that wins or challenges for titles.The power has shifted to the player. Arsenal say they don't have to sale but if Sanchez doesn't sign a new contract someone will get a top top player on a Bosman and Arsenal will have gambled away potentially £50 million. That quite simply won't happen
What your saying is true but is too heavily weighted to the purely financial aspects. Losing Lukaku would be a major blow and would compromise our progress going into next season. There are no comparable goal scorers who would be available to us in the PL. Would it not make more sense for us to bring in someone like Larin ,as an example, and allow him a season to come up to speed in the PL whilst retaining Lukaku for the extra season.? This would allow us to maintain our progress. Otherwise we would have to scrabble round for a lower quality striker and/or change our style of play entirely.
After all whilst the financial side is undoubtedly important, what happens on the pitch is what it's all about,surely?
That's if we are genuinely ambitious of course.

Right, let's just ignore that Rom got us into the semi final by single handedly demolishing Chelsea, it's not his fault that we lost at Wembley. He missed a few chances, it happens. He was still the biggest threat we carried all game. We lost that game because we were grossly unfit, and had Gibson and Besic in the back 4 ffs.

He doesn't score as many in the big games because so often we get stuck in our own half and give him no service at all. Take Tottenham away for example, we got him the ball in a good area once in the entire game. Goal.

Daft to suggest he is a flat track bully. Scored in 4 games against Man City, 3 goals against Liverpool, ripped through Arsenal in that crunch game for 4th place, has scored a hattrick against Man United for WBA...

If the team give him a platform and don't get completely pinned back in our half, then he is guaranteed goals no matter who we are playing. If we match Liverpool in every other department, he'll win it for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back