Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sell asap, he is becoming a self centred prima Donna who disappears in the big games. As good as he is against lower teams I'm not sure we can build a successful team around him.

Imagine his comments if we bought a second striker and he got dropped for a game

Sell in the summer.
After watching yesterday and in many other big games, I actually think he holds us back his movement is poor and he's easily marked by better defenders. I think our overall game would improve with say a vardy type player. Barkley is more important for us as players like him are harder to find.

The problem with Rom, as highlighted yesterday, is that he is never a reliable outball, because he's not a good actual footballer.

It's a glaring weakness in his game and the reason he's still here to be fair - because his goalscoring ability vastly outshines his actual ability, meaning he has a massive premium on his price tag.

That is what I mentioned a few weeks back. With Rom, you're never going to have consistency, because he can be unplayable one day, yet utterly anonymous the next.

With Barkley and Lukaku having terrible games yesterday, we didn't have a chance. Barkley needs to work on his mentality to impose his ability consistently, whereas Lukaku is actually the total opposite - he needs to work on his ability to impose his mentality consistently.

I'm not sure it's in lukaku's makeup as a person to be say a Drogba who won Chelsea games without scoring in a game dominating and bullying centre backs and be able to grab a game by the scruff of its neck .rom will score lots of goals in his career probably the hardest skill but when he doesn't score not sure he will ever influence a game like a drogba

Rom is a great striker. His goal record proves that and there's no doubt he has what it takes to get to the top

However he talks the talk that he's great and he is good enough for champions league football, yet whenever he comes up against the better sides he seems to underperform and look bang average

Still got a lot to prove in my opinion

He's a b+ striker, on a par with the Robbie fowlers, Michael Owens, mark vidukas etc.

Doesn't have enough to be in the top bracket imo. Which is why I can see him deciding to get behind moshiris project and signing the contract. I.e after no champions league side comes in for him.

He's a b+ striker, on a par with the Robbie fowlers, Michael Owens, mark vidukas etc.

Doesn't have enough to be in the top bracket imo. Which is why I can see him deciding to get behind moshiris project and signing the contract. I.e after no champions league side comes in for him.
Wish we had a Robbie Fowler...hate to say it....most natural goalscorer ive ever seen.

After watching yesterday and in many other big games, I actually think he holds us back his movement is poor and he's easily marked by better defenders. I think our overall game would improve with say a vardy type player. Barkley is more important for us as players like him are harder to find.

Beg to differ.

There are at least 10 attacking midfielders in the premier league alone who can play barkley's passing game and who have scored more than him in the last year. AND the there is a realistic chance most of these would sign for Everton as we are and with a good offer. Hardly any strikers can score goals like Lukaku PLUS those strkers that can actually score like Lukaku are not going to be moving to a non CL club like Everton no matter what we offer them.

The more this saga goes on you can't help but notice both the contradictions in people's comments and the lack of understanding of just how the transfer market works.
A few weeks ago Lukakus stock was at a peak he was being lauded as scoring the most goals at his age, at a faster rate than just about any footballer.
Now he can't trap a bag of cement, he never scores against better opposition, he has an ego and so it goes on.
The old fashioned type centre forward is not something you see that often at the highest level. There is the odd player like Bentke and Caroll but both of those players lack natural finishing ability .
If you anyalise Costa you can't but help notice not just the runs he makes but the speed that players like Hazard and Pedro link up with him.When you actually look at when Costa runs at a defence on his own you see time after time he runs into traffic. In effect it's not just about Lukaku it's to a very large degree the ability of the players that link with him as opposed to him linking with them.
The way so many talk on here is that they would take the mega money and run. All transfers are a gamble be it a £100k player or indeed a £80 million player. Very few clubs will even entertain the costs and risks associated with a £30 million player and when that sum gets close to £50 or even £60 million then you can probably count them on the fingers of one hand
At best he is a £50 million player but of course the inflation in the transfer market and real lack of clinical goalscores will possibly add £10-£15 million to his current value but of those 5 or so clubs who would want him as there number 1 striker?

Irrespective let's assume he is sold to Chelsea for say £65 million.In whatever figure will be vat @ 20%. The whole question of vat changes based on where you buy a player from. One of the major reasons so many players from EU countries, outside the UK turn up in the PL is there isn't vat to consider.
Clubs and supporters love to quote the gross figure paid , just like Everton did when they signed Lukaku from Chelsea because they think it sends a signal out about ambition.
So back to the £65 million strip out vat, strip out the players 5%and then the 5% the FA get then of that £65million some £20 million has gone to places outside the club. Still need to factor in agents fees, inevitable loyalty bonuses but let's be optimistic and say net £45million. As I said in an earlier post my guess is that as much as £7 million is still owed to Chelsea so at best you are looking at about £40 million in the bank
We know that £80 millionhs already put in the timing of which and indeed the FF sponsorship is interesting in terms of what it was used for I suspect namely historical debts and the £11 million to change managers I suspect that there is a willingness to put in more but the ability to do that is significantly impacted by FFP. Ok there is more money from the TV deal but what you use that money on is restricted also some clubs include the total cost of a player in their player budgets including the contracted wage cost , others don't.
When Gazidus said some years back Wenger had £60 million available a while afterwards it turned out that included wages but not before Wenger was attacked by supporters for not spending the available money.
Those expecting high cost players shipping up in the summer are I suspect in for a disappointment for irrespective of how you count the numbers I am not sure their is enough wriggle room to fund vast transfer fees for with those fees come increased wage demands.
For me you are looking at several medium quality players leaving, several medium quality players brought in on higher but not extortionate wages and if Lukaku goes two decent quality players in but if he is not maybe one for a fee of circa £30 million

Obviously you can't argue with his goal scoring record,but as others have said in the games when we don't create chances for him he might just as well stay at home.You really want to see the two centre backs coming off the pitch bruised and beaten.but Rom is far to much of a gentle giant.And in the games were we are a goal down with a few minutes to go and we need to go route one to hope for a knock down from Rom...forget it.Yes he scores headed goals but only when nobody is within a yard of him.Great players have that bit of the devil in them.And I think that's what will always hold him back from realising his potential.

He was getting beaten by Lucas in the air, says it all about the desire he showed, poor service not withstanding

Obviously you can't argue with his goal scoring record,but as others have said in the games when we don't create chances for him he might just as well stay at home.You really want to see the two centre backs coming off the pitch bruised and beaten.but Rom is far to much of a gentle giant.And in the games were we are a goal down with a few minutes to go and we need to go route one to hope for a knock down from Rom...forget it.Yes he scores headed goals but only when nobody is within a yard of him.Great players have that bit of the devil in them.And I think that's what will always hold him back from realising his potential.

We know the type of player he is. Win the midfield battle and put balls into Lukaku, he will win you football matches.

We didn't do that on Saturday and we never do in big away grounds. I'm sick of seeing us lose to better teams and people blaming Lukaku for not doing it all on his own.

We didn't lose because of Lukaku. We lost because we lost battles all over the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back