Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else think its worrying Drogba is back at chelsea knowing how much rom idolises him ? With Mourinho gone i reckon he'd jump at the chance to prove himself

It's definitely possible. Though they're apparently in regular contact regardless, with Drogba always offering him advice. I reckon when he does leave Everton he'll make the decision to go to a club that suits him best (on the field), rather than base the decision so much on who happens to be on the support staff.

Martinez said it was "not too serious" and he seemed very bubbly on social media today which would be a bit odd if he'd been ruled out for a long time.

Think it was a knock on his ankle ie bruising, rather than a muscle/ligament strain.
Won't be playing this weekend

It was but a few years ago that our country was reeling in it's existance with a political crises that was lasting longer than a year. Now were all singing belgium hup hup. :D guess we can wait a decade now before reconsidering a splitup.

Here's a good article on this giving more background on Wilmots
http://www.theguardian.com/football...p-2014-marc-wilmots-belgium-nation-threat-usa

Unfortunately the tactical system Wilmots employs makes it thus that it doesn't really matter who is the striker in the team. All he has to do is work a lot and receive almost no crosses or passes through, with Hazard slowing down the pace.

Unfortunately the tactical system Wilmots employs makes it thus that it doesn't really matter who is the striker in the team. All he has to do is work a lot and receive almost no crosses or passes through, with Hazard slowing down the pace.

Look up Belgiums last friendly against Italy. Goal from Vertonghen on corner, 1 goal from De bruyne on the rebound of the strikers shot, 1 goal by the striker Batschuayi from a trough pass from winger Yannick Ferreira carrasco. The Striker does have to do some work and gets chances on the goal, atleast in that match.

The Daily Mirror.
What was it
Baines 6m...
Now Rom 40m...

Lazy fantasy football playing garbage.
Why do tabloids still exist in this day and age.
Now they're chatting about verbal agreements. They ran the same story twice almost word for word first about rom and now about stones.
Its unbelievable how lazy/inept that rag actually is

Look up Belgiums last friendly against Italy. Goal from Vertonghen on corner, 1 goal from De bruyne on the rebound of the strikers shot, 1 goal by the striker Batschuayi from a trough pass from winger Yannick Ferreira carrasco. The Striker does have to do some work and gets chances on the goal, atleast in that match.

I've been watching all their games the last years (also the ones against the lesser teams), and what strikes me is that no matter who the striker is the system remains the same. Which is weird considering that with Benteke, Origi and Lukaku (and to a lesser extent Depoitre) you have three completely different strikers. So they should be able to play in three different ways. Now Wilmots just replaces the striker and hopes that the substitute will do better (but has to do the same things).

Don't get me wrong. I also like Wilmots for what he has done; Belgium is a real team now and the last time that happened was somewhere in the 80s. But he likes a system where it seems that the striker's main role is to hold up a ball till the midfield comes strolling along. There was a string of at least three games last year where Benteke, Origi and Lukaku all sucked as a lone striker in the national team. Maybe they all had a bad game (or they're poor strikers, which I disbelieve) or maybe there's something wrong with the system.

Players like Carrasco (he doesn't want to be called Ferreire, btw) are what the team needed because he does play with speed and directness. If you follow the games of Everton you'll see that Lukaku CAN hold up a ball and be some sort of pivotal target striker IF the midfield plays at a quick pace AND is cloes to him (either running or already standing there). If the midfield is walking or continuously playing a slow tikitaka like Belgium does a lot of the times, then Lukaku is not good in that role.

I'll end here since this is not really a thread about Belgium and its team/coach.

I've been watching all their games the last years (also the ones against the lesser teams), and what strikes me is that no matter who the striker is the system remains the same.

True, perhaps the reason for that was that of all the quality we had, our front was not the strongest part. We don't have bad strikers, but we didn't have real world class there neither, whereas we do have a lot of high class Attacking midfielders able to score too.

Still think Rom will be a starter though, he's getting to that world class status.

Carrasco (he doesn't want to be called Ferreire, btw)

Yeah i know the story, i just use it because interwebs currently still identify's him like that.

Reactions: DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back