Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is that his workrate is only an issue when he is olayed alone up front? Berbatov never broke sweat in his whole career, but paired with a willing runner liem Robbie Keane and he was magnificent! We need a good striker to play alongside or just behind Lukaku to make space for the lad, then geta midfielder who can place the ball into the space created for him to run onto it! Simples!

.....his touch will improve, it happens as you get older. Sometimes he actually has games where he links well and his touch is ok.

This is true....

butt.png

He only scores them against the poor teams though mate. :coffee:

Everyone saying we should sell him, you do realise we would have to replace him with someone who scores as many or more goals than he does?

There's a reason why if we sell him we would get loads of money for him and that's because he scores goals, should we try and replace him we would have to spend more on a replacement of the same calibre.

The only thing we do need is some competition for the lad, someone to come in when he needs resting/dropping. He plays nearly every game and gets rushed back from injury as he's that important to us.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Some strikers encourage others to score more, and the goals are spread more evenly throughout the team as a result, which is arguably better as we're less one dimensional that way. Lukaku is the focal point. He very rarely assists or sets players up, he's just a finisher. A damn good one, but a finisher none the less. A more all round striker could benefit the team just as much.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Some strikers encourage others to score more, and the goals are spread more evenly throughout the team as a result, which is arguably better as we're less one dimensional that way. Lukaku is the focal point. He very rarely assists or sets players up, he's just a finisher. A damn good one, but a finisher none the less. A more all round striker could benefit the team just as much.
Lukaku gets quite a few assists actually.

It would no doubt be a massive bonus if he stays. I'm not convinced he's the kind of striker that should be up front on his own though. Just because he's big people expect him to be good with his back to goal, he isn't, but that's okay because he's a great goal scorer.

It's not that simple, no.

You may recall i've been quite vocal about his poor first touch since he's been here, mainly when putting across a counter argument to the "He's only *insert age here*" comments, stating that's whilst he may be young, and have a very very good goalscoring record for someone that young he still has over 200 first team appearances good clubs at a high level because he started playing first team football at a young age, so it really should not be as bad as it is.

It was an issue when he was in Belgium (believe his then coach commented on it) and it's still and issue now. Of course the most important thing about Romelu Lukaku is that he scores a lot of goals, and i always said that as long as he does that i'd happy with him at Everton even if he never improves other parts of his game.

And i don't think he has. He's has spells of good form where it's looked like he has, but he's inevitably his poor form and gone back to looking awful, ala since March. But it's not a case of a young player being out of form, that happens to all of them. Its a case of a player with something like 6 years first team experience at a high level who happens to be relatively young who on a regular basis fails to be able to control a football, something whihc is one of the very basics that players in their early teens can do.

Therefor, yes, his first touch is an issue (not including his poorness in the air and sometimes lack of workrate, but some players have them, some don't, but they can all control a football without it lauching into orbit).

And the reason why (for me) it is an issue even when he continues to bang in the goals is that football is a team game, every player in that 11 are playing for a team with the aim of winning that game. It doesn't matter who scores, it doesn't matter how many we win by (goal difference asside), it only matters that we win.

And when you have a player who causes our attacks to break down, causes us to lose possesion, and even at times causes us to concede goals because of his poor control it's an issue. Saying that a strikers role is to score goals therefor the aforementioned poor parts of his game don't matter is extremly short sighted really. The better his all round game is, the better Everton will be and the more games we will win. So if he could be better at the basics, as well as the hard part it would benefit us all. It's the disparity of having a player who is so good at the hard part of his job at such a young age but is so poor at the easy basic part.

In 2004/5 we finished 4th with Marcus Bent up front and his (i believe 6 goals), yet we haven't finished that high in 3 seasons of Lukakus far more. Because we were a better team with Bent at that time than we are now with Lukaku. Not that i;d want Bent up front now, i don't.

I just want Lukaku to get better at the basics so Everton get better as a team (and hopefull under a manager who wnats us to defend so Lukakus goals win us games rather than provide 3-4 losses).
As I say, it'd be good to see a Koeman-managed Lukaku in a Koeman-managed Everton side.

I'm not saying by the way, that he doesn't need to improve areas of his game, just that perhaps that his poor aspects are emphasised out of proportion to his positive points sometimes.

I'm all for keeping him if he wants to stay and give us another season and see if Koeman can work some magic.

If he is going though, let's get it done early and get our business done and get replacements in with the fee and get a decent pre season under their belt.

As I say, it'd be good to see a Koeman-managed Lukaku in a Koeman-managed Everton side.

I'm not saying by the way, that he doesn't need to improve areas of his game, just that perhaps that his poor aspects are emphasised out of proportion to his positive points sometimes.
The one thing he needs to improve the most on is his media training. Oh and take your father with you to these classes ffs!

I think the point is that his workrate is only an issue when he is olayed alone up front? Berbatov never broke sweat in his whole career, but paired with a willing runner liem Robbie Keane and he was magnificent! We need a good striker to play alongside or just behind Lukaku to make space for the lad, then geta midfielder who can place the ball into the space created for him to run onto it! Simples!

Berbatov? I know it's only an example but what a terrible example. Completely different players in terms of skill, touch and vision.

Also playing the ball in front for him to run onto, why that's his bread and butter isn't it. Just like the other night... I think all strikers like one on ones, surely it's the other aspects of their play that set them apart.

I've never been a fan of lukaku, as I've been vaulted on here to prove, but the one warming thing about a player when things aren't going well is a positive attitude and work rate. Neither of which Rom has had for Everton this last 6 months.

He's made his decision, he's insulted our club and I hope his awful (and familiar) performance the other night hasn't put off potential buyers.

Thing re: his touch is, he could and should have improved over the last seasons and arguably would have done under a better manager. Not guaranteed by any stretch, but equally maybe we shouldn't look at Lukaku in isolation: most, if not all of the first team stagnated, if not went backwards, over the last 2 seasons under Martinez, and particularly the other ones that had their heads turned by big interest from other clubs i.e. Stones and to a lesser extent Barkley. Perhaps the only real difference with Lukaku is that his confidence hasn't been knocked the same as them - in fact he has the opposite problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back