Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
(a lad like Deeney would be perfect)

I was laughed at by a mate before for this very same suggestion. His performance against us on Saturday sort of vindicated me though (the type of performance he often puts in) and if you watch the lad he has a lot of qualities. Even the header he won in our half for their first goal, Rom wouldn't have contested that. It's little things like that, the work he puts in to try and keep the ball in the opposition half. Not to mention the fact that he was right there in the box all the time, always making sure there was something for the defenders to do while the other lads were freed up to score the goals.

Deeney's a good lad and, if we were to keep Lukaku, I would at least like someone like Deeney to partner him and minimize Rom's many deficiencies as a player

Do you subscribe to the view that he needs a partner? Even with quite poor players (Valencia/Kone) he looks much happier and more dangerous with a lad up there with him to help him out.

I totally subscribe to him needing a partner for the reasons expressed by both of us.

On ball retention and ability to link up I'd say two things - his hold up play has improved significantly since Koeman arrived at the club, and on linking up, well he needs players around him to link up with.

I'd add one more thing about his work rate. I see Lukaku as an impact player given his style but also importantly his stature and physique. His game is best suited and made for short bursts of intense activity rather than continual lower impact involvement in the game.

Esk are you happy with him going missing for the next 3-4 games before he pops up with another goal or two? Because that's what you're getting out of him. As a paying fan which I believe you are, who is willing to travel hundreds of miles to support the team, is that acceptable to you?
if we didn't isolate him entirely even on his off days it wouldn't be that bad as you know he has goals in him, I remember in his first season when barry injured him, people had been getting on his back for not scoring and supposedly doing nothing, the games he was out injured showed we were better even with an out of form lukaku in the team, I know you want competition for him and options, and I agree, but I certainly don't buy any argument that he is a hindrence

Why are we advocating building a team around a lad who wants gone?. I don't get it. We'd be back to square one when some fool of a club meets his asking. Get rid. Build a team instead.

Football is a relatively simple game.
Lukaku has two great strengths.

Firstly he is one of the best what I would call 'on the shoulder of the last man' attackers I have seen in 40 odd years of watching the game. That means him facing the opponent's goal and taking delivery of through balls. When he gets that his conversation rate is huge. The problem is that this is most effective when you play two up front, so that one can run off the other creating space in the centre of defence to run into. It's hugely difficult to do playing up front alone as you are usually on a two v one situation, allowing one of the defenders to mark, the other to intercept the pass. That's when some people claim Lukaku goes missing. Me, I look at it and see him isolated and marked out of the game.

Secondly he's one of the deadliest finishers in the box. I don't have the stats to hand but his shots on target ratio is very high and conversion rate high too. The problem? We don't get the ball in the box often enough, or when we do the accuracy of crossing is poor (Deulofeu, Bolasie both v inaccurate crossers, Mirallas and Lennon don't get enough crosses into the box).

Hence my comment about building a team around Lukaku. We need a #10 to play alongside or slightly behind him, plus at least one midfielder who can put through balls through regularly. In addition we need wide midfielders/wingers who are more consistent in quality and frequency of delivery.

I've always said, get a playmaker in the side, then Lukaku scores for fun.

Got a hell of a lot of excellent service in the vast majority of goals here. Can only see one instance where he thanked a team mate and even that was after he'd ran away to celebrate alone and gave a brief thumbs up. And only 4 goals that weren't on a plate.

Lukaku's positioning and movement in the box made them Look 'on a plate' as you say.

I totally subscribe to him needing a partner for the reasons expressed by both of us.

On ball retention and ability to link up I'd say two things - his hold up play has improved significantly since Koeman arrived at the club, and on linking up, well he needs players around him to link up with.

I'd add one more thing about his work rate. I see Lukaku as an impact player given his style but also importantly his stature and physique. His game is best suited and made for short bursts of intense activity rather than continual lower impact involvement in the game.

we're going to sell him at the exact time we finally resolve this problem, which is going to be a massive kick in the teeth. We should have qualified for the champs league at least once in his time here, given the amount of goals he's scored with very little service. It's so frustrating.

So fans want a striker that presses, works his socks off, scores goals, creates goals, holds it up and does everything! If we can get Aguero or Suarez then sound but sadly we aren't challenging for titles and champions leagues so just except that Romelu is best we can have at this moment.

Even if we had Aguero he'd probably be booed for not winning or scoring enough headers

Everton fans love to hate

I honestly think the overall flaws and performance issues of the squad are leading to some fans over-criticizing or slating some players. Our movement and positioning is shocking and has been for a couple of seasons. Koeman doesn't seem to have changed this but lets see once he has recruited more.

I would agree with moving on the whole squad excluding youngsters and Coleman, Williams, Gana, Barkley, Deulofeu, Barry and Lukaku. It may be a moot point with Rom as he could be off anyway, but although apart from Gana none have played particularly well this season I think the above would all contribute to a stronger first XI or squad....whether it would be as reinvigorated first teamers or good options from the bench.

I guess my point in relation to Lukaku is, is that I don't think it is as simple as saying his attitude stinks. If he is still around when we have a stronger first XI and less of the current blasé attitude, I think we would see the best of him again.

Lukaku's positioning and movement in the box made them Look 'on a plate' as you say.

I see very little movement for the vast majority of those goals and not a single instance of him using his strength. On a plate for him, never thanks his teammates. The vast majority of Premiership strikers would put away those chances but offer far more in the build up.

All players have weaknesses, and Lukakus stand out much more when we're not playing well.

Take away his goals, and he offers nothing - which for me doesn't put him in the world class bracket. Players being touted for the same price as him score for fun and also carry the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back