Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Joyce - there was a £70m bid for Lukaku by Chelsea that was rejected.

Hardly says backup plan does it.
If true then you're correct, however equally there's been a fair few sound bites from Morata himself about Chelsea, so who knows.

Perhaps their interest really is in Lukaku, perhaps it's not. Perhaps it was but Conte has turned his eyes elsewhere because of reasons unknown.

As mentioned earlier, I think until the situation with Costa' future is publicly acknowledged there'll be fans at numerous clubs feeling uneasy.

As @suey_11 rightly mentioned above, right now it's purely press speculation that is suggesting that Costa's move is nigh on certain to occur.

He's going to be a Champion again, in a team where he plays a pivotal role and under a manager who'll give them a great chance in Europe.

Obviously he may be swayed by the cash of China but will that bring him happiness? Unless it's Atléti calling I'd expect Chelsea to be confident.

If he stays then I'd sincerely doubt Rom would go there to play second fiddle as I sincerely doubt that Conte would accommodate them both.

That only leaves a probable destination of PSG or perhaps Manure, but the latter I feel more unlikely as they aren't getting to get CL football.
Is this actual fact or just your thoughts based on press and hearsay etc.

If so my thoughts are the euphoria of being champions and a very decent crack at champions league may influence his decision.
This is not fact just my thoughts.

I'd have thought the same but Oscar went out there in his prime and I bet that has some weight in any decision. Teixeira and Witsel in their prime also.

It would just take them through the stratosphere finance wise. Would he really be arsed as a south American hanging round for Euro glory? Maybe but I doubt it.

If Costa goes then the odds surely have to be weighted very heavily on Lukaku taking up his place at Chelsea.

the stars are aligning.

It would just take them through the stratosphere finance wise. Would he really be arsed as a south American hanging round for Euro glory? Maybe but I doubt it.
He chose to play for Spain rather than his native Brazil and he has been living in Europe for all of his adult life so I'd expect some link to it.

Add to the fact, the 2013-14 Champions League final where due to injury he had to quickly leave the pitch before Real went to win it at the end.

So maybe there is some unfinished business there... who knows.

I'd have thought the same but Oscar went out there in his prime and I bet that has some weight in any decision. Teixeira and Witsel in their prime also.

If Costa goes then the odds surely have to be weighted very heavily on Lukaku taking up his place at Chelsea.

the stars are aligning.

The IF Costa goes.

Must make the stars are aligning a lot straighter for you than from where I'm stood.

All outcomes are possible and none are possible.

If I remember correctly earlier in the year Lukaku was 99% signing and Costa was all but going to China.

We are all assuming and all will become clearer once the season end, it's a matter of perspective half full, half empty.

Paul Joyce - there was a £70m bid for Lukaku by Chelsea that was rejected.

Hardly says backup plan does it.

It was reportedly not a fact. How many bids have we heard over the years. You only believe bids when clubs officially acknowledge them to the fans.

the stars are aligning.
I think the situation is similar to last season....except this season Lukaku has not downed tools.
Lukaku(and his agent) are putting themselves in the shop window. There are clubs they want to move to, but do these clubs want Lukaku ?
There is no doubt that last summer Lukaku had thought he had played his last game and his mind was elsewhere.

How many clubs can afford or will want Lukaku ?
Is Costa definitely leaving Chelsea ? Will Morata or Griezman be available in the summer.
I don't think top clubs get too exercised about being leading goalscorer in the league.
They are looking at the whole package, the goals but also what else the player brings to the team, how flexible the player is when playing different formations. What is the players score out of ten in every game. The top players will be a seven on a bad day, but never a four or five.

I am not trying to be negative about Lukaku, but more realistic.
I think his general play has been much better this season under RK. He has worked harder and contributed more to the team. I still think there is room for improvement, I think that because he is so big and strong and powerful that he thinks that is enough and we still see against better defenders he can be made look ordinary. I think that top players play a very clever game and that is the area that Lukaku needs to develop.

I can watch this 1000 times

I would of liked to seen him do it just once against their current centre halves, or Cheslea's.

Accept City, if he goes to any of the other 'top teams' in England he will not be first choice.
His better options are abroad but then we won't get the same money (unless there's a sell on clause).

I would rather sell him this year if he isn't going to sign though.
Taking the risk and keeping him another year and hoping we get in enough quality players to get into the top 4 (knowing the others are going to strengthen as well) could be a £40 million gamble.

He chose to play for Spain rather than his native Brazil and he has been living in Europe for all of his adult life so I'd expect some link to it.

Add to the fact, the 2013-14 Champions League final where due to injury he had to quickly leave the pitch before Real went to win it at the end.

So maybe there is some unfinished business there... who knows.
Maybe.

I would put odds on him being at Chelsea no higher than 30/40% though. The stories earlier this season seemed to have legs.

I think the situation is similar to last season....except this season Lukaku has not downed tools.
Lukaku(and his agent) are putting themselves in the shop window. There are clubs they want to move to, but do these clubs want Lukaku ?
There is no doubt that last summer Lukaku had thought he had played his last game and his mind was elsewhere.

How many clubs can afford or will want Lukaku ?
Is Costa definitely leaving Chelsea ? Will Morata or Griezman be available in the summer.
I don't think top clubs get too exercised about being leading goalscorer in the league.
They are looking at the whole package, the goals but also what else the player brings to the team, how flexible the player is when playing different formations. What is the players score out of ten in every game. The top players will be a seven on a bad day, but never a four or five.

I am not trying to be negative about Lukaku, but more realistic.
I think his general play has been much better this season under RK. He has worked harder and contributed more to the team. I still think there is room for improvement, I think that because he is so big and strong and powerful that he thinks that is enough and we still see against better defenders he can be made look ordinary. I think that top players play a very clever game and that is the area that Lukaku needs to develop.
He will be coveted by all the top European clubs. His age and his record in one of the toughest leagues in the world - and his lack of any serious injuries, btw - will be an immense attraction.

Bottom line s that he WONT sign a new contract. We know that now, it's been confirmed. And if that happens we stand to lose a fortune by keeping him another season longer. That is not going to happen.

He's as good as gone as far as I'm concerned.

I'd have thought the same but Oscar went out there in his prime and I bet that has some weight in any decision

He wasnt getting a game at Chelsea, and any Chelsea fan I have heard/spoken to about that deal was astonished that any club would even pay Chelsea what they paid for him, let alone the £60m that some lunatic lobbed their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back