Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible how short-sighted and narcissistic these young players are. He used the media, and his agent, to peddle his "I'm too good for Everton" stuff and then the contract ambiguity but now obviously wants them to stay out of his situation. Moron
Agree. Quite happy to gob off and use them to suit his own agenda, but when something is written he doesn't like he comes out with this crap. Talk about double standards.

I'm sick to death of the Lukaku show just get him out the door for as much as we possibly can, and rebuild with players that want to be here.

He's an excellent striker and we'll miss his goals I won't deny that, but I am kind of excited to see how we reinvest the money.

Shouldn't bother us if he does go. The team is becoming Lukaku-centric, which is not a good thing, I believe.

I'm old enough to remember this happening before, in the mid-'80s, when the team became centred on one player. Name of Lineker. Oh it was great when he was popping the goals in, but when he wasn't delivering goals, the team was organised in such a way that goals came from hardly anywhere else. So what did we win in '85-'86? Nothing. Fell at the last hurdle in both major competitions. 3rd game from the end of the season. 0-0 away at Oxford with a few minutes to go. Lineker clean through on goal - misses. Oxford go up the other end and score. We lose 0-1. Pipped to the title by 2 points. Lineker scores in the Cup Final. Apart from that, we never looked like scoring again and the rest is horrible history. The following season, after he had gone to Barcelona, the whole thrust of the team changed and... we won the title!

So, as others have posted, yes he has scored a shedload of goals this season, but if he leaves I expect to see a more cohesive team approach under Koeman next season, and a far better season. One player does not a team make.

And to round this off, look at Chelsea this season. They are not centred on one player, they have a host of good hard-working team players. Leicester last season. They weren't Vardy (although the media would like us to think so). They were a complete unit, with Mahrez, Okasaki, Albrighton, Kante and others weighing in with complete team performances. Contrast with Kane-centric Spurs. Don't need to say any more...

I am not on a wind up. It was just food for thought.

Personally, I think goals are the only thing that Lukaku brings to the team. That is why I looked into the goals. I agree that he is a prolific goalscorer, and the best we've had since the eighties. I just don't think we should be too worried when he goes, as - and this is just opinion - he doesn't actually improve the position of the team That opinion is not based on the "take his goals out" stuff. It is more along the lines of "he scores the goals to the detriment of the rest of the team". For instance, in Lukaku's four seasons here, we have scored 228 premier league goals. In the four seasons prior to that, we scored 216. We didn't have a prolific goalscorer in the team then, yet scored only 12 goals less in four seasons. That doesn't really prove anything either, but to me it suggests that we will do fine without him. To me, it suggests that the goals will come from somewhere else. My reasoning is that almost every attack that involves Lukaku, either ends up with him scoring, or him messing it up for someone else.

Basically I would want to keep someone like Lukaku - just not Lukaku. He is a great goalscorer, just a poor team player. Everyone else on the pitch do their job. The midfield are industrious, and the defence are pretty solid now. Granted they do make the occasional mistake, but they all do their job - every game. Lukaku doesn't. He doesn't take ownership. If he doesn't score, it's because he didn't get the right ball, or no one put it on a plate for him. Everton appear to not be bothered, when he can't be bothered. You get pretty much the same effort week in, week out from the midfield and defence. The only difference is, is that sometimes the focal point of the team - Lukaku - can't be bothered putting a shift in. So the whole team get slated for it.

Apart from two disastrous seasons under Martinez, we are still where we are - 5th-7th. So we aren't any better off with him in the team. He doesn't bring anything else apart from goals that would come from somewhere else anyway.

He is a great goal scorer but I think you need more from a striker. I want him to stay but I don't think it will be as big a loss as protracted if he does go. We will just need to find a new way of scoring instead of relying solely on him. The forward line needs major changes whether he goes or not this summer.

On a side note Yakubu was a fabulous goalscorer. He had an excellent first season but struggled with the work ethic demanded by Moyes.

He joined Blackburn and scored 18 league goals. An excellent return.
Blackburn were relegated.

Oh dave, you've left yourself open here mate. I do believe the likes of van Basten, Cruyff and Neeskens, to name but 3, also played in that small country.

15-love to me, mate! ;)
That's just nostalgia mate. Van Wolfswinkel and Daley Blind are all you get these days. An ale house league anyone with sense gives a wide berth to. The SPL without the buckfast.

That's just nostalgia mate. Van Wolfswinkel and Daley Blind are all you get these days. An ale house league anyone with sense gives a wide berth to. The SPL without the buckfast.

Not nostalgia, dave, fact concerning the three I quoted!

30-15 to me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back