Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Ross Barkley joins Chelsea, er, Villa on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't rate Gylfie then Connor ? Thought being our top scorer and assist maker overall this season may sway some people, but to each their own I suppose.

It’s not that I don’t rate him. There’s obvious quality there but I don’t think he’s as good as his fans think/say he is.

Been over it enough in the Sigurdsson thread to rehash it here.

It’s not that I don’t rate him. There’s obvious quality there but I don’t think he’s as good as his fans think/say he is.

Been over it enough in the Sigurdsson thread to rehash it here.

Fair enough think he's a very good player myself, though one aspect of his game that really irritates me are his direct free kicks, they almost all hit the wall.

Funny that. When the S*n did the same they were rightly denounced for it. When some arsehole who scribbles drawings for a so called liberal paper does it it's a great laugh at the player's expense.

Great bit of banter - scousers getting called thick and people laughing...just because Barkley shifted clubs.

I'd hate to ask for a Scum link, but what kind of Ross cartoon did they do? Was it discussed in this thread? i might've missed it.

Funny that. When the S*n did the same they were rightly denounced for it. When some arsehole who scribbles drawings for a so called liberal paper does it it's a great laugh at the player's expense.

Great bit of banter - scousers getting called thick and people laughing...just because Barkley shifted clubs.
I don't think it's calling scousers thick. It's calling him thick, which he is, the fact he has a scouse accent is irrelevant. If he had a geordie accent would you say the same? They're mocking Sarri as well with all of the cigarettes he has. It's called satire.

Also the scum called him a racial slur, they didn't mock his intelligence. Quite a difference between calling someone a gorilla to calling them stupid don't you think?

I don't think it's calling scousers thick. It's calling him thick, which he is, the fact he has a scouse accent is irrelevant. If he had a geordie accent would you say the same? They're mocking Sarri as well with all of the cigarettes he has. It's called satire.

Also the scum called him a racial slur, they didn't mock his intelligence. Quite a difference between calling someone a gorilla to calling them stupid don't you think?
They DID mock his intelligence. How can you portray someone as an ape and not do that?!

There was very little difference between what the Guardian did and what the S*n did.

You mean other than the racism. Which is what people got offended by. (and rightly so).
Race and intelligence are linked inextricably in the minds of casual racists. But leaving all that aside, here we have a pompous cartoonist calling out someone from this neck of the woods for the unforgivable crime of drawling in a working class accent and not knowing (we presume) the finer points of Brexit. How can you defend the Guardian on that?

It was ignorance. Pure and simple...but it wasn;t in the S*n so we can all laugh at "the rat".

If he had of left in the summer when we could of got maximum money for him then no one would have been bothered.

It’s the way he did it. The way he ran his contract down and ripped us off, the way he got his tattoo removed and stopped posting on Instagram.

RAT.

He still likes his old team mates' posts, and vice versa. Which is nice.

Also, the Graun didn't compare Barkley to a gorilla, they're just making fun of him for being thick. Which he is. Our fans said that about him enough times when he was here. He got criticised for his slow responses and poor decision-making on the pitch. What the S*n did was worse, plus they've got a history of not liking working-class Scousers. Loads of other players talk in regional accents and didn't get made fun of for that by Squires.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back