Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a new number 10 signing in January - an experienced world class player- will allow Ross to become a bench player- with no shame- and then he will have the time to focus on developing his ability without all the pressure put on him now. As it is i would still play him ahead of Cleverly but not ahead of Del, Mirallis or Bolaise.
He's at the age where he needs to be playing regularly. If he can't get in our team then he needs to be sold otherwise he will just run down his contract and go on a free.

I understand him not starting against City, but the last 15 mins or so were crying out for him. He's at his best on the counter, could have done some damage.

Crying out for him? We were getting battered and the only reason we left with a point (apart from stek) was the fact EVERYONE was working their arse off.... Barkley doesn't... if he came on and they found space and scored... people would be slating koeman and rightly so... Everton FC does not revolve around Barkley ... it's not our mission to make him the best he can be at the expense of the team and losing games... just so in 2-4 years he will be amazing and leave us because we have been finishing out side the top 4.

It's not so much what they're saying. Lot of truth in it actually and they're not really slating him as such. It's more the fact that they're highlighting an issue that we can do without. Leave the lad to get himself right in his own time I say.

Other young players have been through bad patches and nothing said. Dele Alli was awful in the euros and since for England, and is only just getting his form back for Spurs, but absolutely nothing is said about it. Whereas this is about the third big article that I'm aware of, on Ross in national TV & press in the last week or so. Even Koeman has lost his temper at press conferences because he's fed up answering question on him.

In fairness, most of the articles are quite supportive and you can almost see them willing him to get back on track; probably because they see him as the future saviour of the national team.
Because those players work. Alli's movement is fantastic with and without the ball. The runs he makes from deep into goal scoring positions are a huge weapon and all the Spurs team work.

Saunders is right. This thread is 704 pages and he hit the nail on the head with less than 704 letters.

He doesn't 'have' to play deep though...

I think both Barry and Gueye are definite starters and rightly so.

IMO against Burnley Barkley will be in alongside them, either in a tight-knit three or as a 10.
I don't. I think Barry is looked a bit of the pace plus I also don't think we need 2 holding midfielders against Burnley.

Liverpool don't even have one defensive midfielder playing most of the time.

Maybe you are happy with our style of play. I'm not.

Crying out for him? We were getting battered and the only reason we left with a point (apart from stek) was the fact EVERYONE was working their arse off.... Barkley doesn't... if he came on and they found space and scored... people would be slating koeman and rightly so... Everton FC does not revolve around Barkley ... it's not our mission to make him the best he can be at the expense of the team and losing games... just so in 2-4 years he will be amazing and leave us because we have been finishing out side the top 4.

Well, I agree with the principle that Barkley wasn't definitely the right person to bring on.

Don't agree with the rest like - though I don't think anybody is suggesting Everton revolves around Ross.

You seem to have this integrated thought that he's lazy, when in actual fact he's just been in poor form.

I don't. I think Barry is looked a bit of the pace plus I also don't think we need 2 holding midfielders against Burnley.

Liverpool don't even have one defensive midfielder playing most of the time.

Maybe you are happy with our style of play. I'm not.

Why compare us to the Reds... they lost 2-0 vs Burnley?

Barry keeps us ticking over and Gueye looks half the player without Barry next to him.

Barkley in there with them is absolutely fine on paper - but Ross needs to re-find his form.

And tbh Marty, I've never actually see you post one positive thing on here since you joined.

At that point in the game we were playing 3 defensive midfielders with Cleverly behind Mirallas and Lukaku. We still would have had men behind the ball only with Barkley there to carry the ball out and give us a real threat on the counter. Our goal showed that City's all out attack could be exploited and Barkley would have been perfect for that. I agree with Koeman's approach to the game and bringing on McCarthy and Mori when he did. Just felt the Bolasie for Mirallas switch was a wasted one when we could have done Barkley for Cleverly.

Barry keeps us ticking over and Gueye looks half the player without Barry next to him.

Barkley in there with them is absolutely fine on paper - but Ross needs to re-find his form.

And tbh Marty, I've never actually see you post one positive thing on here since you joined.
They may have but win tonight and they go top.

In the premiership this season most teams have abandoned the 2 defensive midfielders 4-2-3-1. I think it's too easy to stop and persevering with it is turning us into a hoofball team.

Against teams like Burnley we should be able to go for the throat and take the 3 points rather than risk not scoring enough to win the game. In the long run with 3 points for a win it's the better strategy.

I have made loads of positive posts however what I have noticed is you never have a negative thing to say.

Given that we are a mid table team who increasingly are playing hoofball I find that surprising.

I have made loads of positive posts however what I have noticed is you never have a negative thing to say.

Given that we are a mid table team who increasingly are playing hoofball I find that surprising.

I'm balanced - you clearly haven't seen all of my posts - as I haven't seen all of yours.

We're 6th - that's not midtable.

We don't play hoofball.

You're talking nonsense.

No doubt some of you will have listened to the discussion about Ross on MOTD2, though it pains me to say it I think Dean Saunders calls it right, Barkley doesn't do enough without the ball, if he can develop that side of his game he will be a regular.

As in winning it back etc? Or finding space?

Hes much more of a Siggurdson, Erriksen, Ozil type player than he is a Gerrard Lampard player.

Status
Not open for further replies.