Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the match only told us what we already knew - that at the moment he struggles to really get into the game as a 10. That said, I would be extremely extremely disappointed if he was sold without ever being tried in the deeper role

he needs to start deeper in a midfield 3 and run with the ball and take on people or run into space/late runs into box (lampard style). he doesnt have the creative or mental capacity to play as a number 10

I think we all want the lad to be a world beater, he's clearly got the raw talent, but there's something missing.
You absolutely cannot play him further back unless it's against poor opposition and Gana can do his covering. Not to mention he tends to take too many risks dribbling out from too deep. He's also and crucially for that position, got very a limited ability to tackle (Henderson blinder from last night aside!). His positional sense without the ball is also really poor, Koeman's pressing style is hugely let down by him (and Lukaku), just watch those two together with Barkley at 10. They both do the same thing in that they do their best to make it "look" like they're pressing and looking to put in a challenge but there's no real commitment there. It's probably part of the reason our midfield don't commit more to pressing further up the pitch with them as they'll be left all at sea. In fairness, Ross did at least run more than I've seen in a while last night.
It's such a shame with Barkley as he's got the classic "can do things with a ball few others can", but every time I watch him you can't help but feel that his brain is half a yard behind his feet. We moan about his decision making, I actually think he tries to make the right pass/dribble a lot of the time, sadly he's made the decision to do it a fraction late and his passes are either cut out, he's let the defender get too close and gets dispossessed etc...
Still want the lad to come good, but I just can't see him improving the parts of his game that he needs to. For me he doesn't have a quick enough footballing brain and in a team set up to press the opposition all over the pitch he will always be a weak link. If someone offered a silly amount of money I'd be in favour of taking it...

There is no way that Koeman will cull Barkley

Despite the comments from a few here, the online fan community is only one small subsection of the fan base as a whole, and the majority of the fan base will not countenance Barkley getting canned and sold on

He'll have to ask for a transfer, Koeman is smart enough not to wield the axe himself

Personally, I think we expect too much from him and have put way too much pressure on him as consequence

Despite the comments from a few here, the online fan community is only one small subsection of the fan base as a whole, and the majority of the fan base will not countenance Barkley getting canned and sold on

He'll have to ask for a transfer, Koeman is smart enough not to wield the axe himself

Personally, I think we expect too much from him and have put way too much pressure on him as consequence

Say Spurs bid about £35m mate. Not that I think they will like, but what do you think would happen?

I've had so much faith in him as this thread can show, but it's the same thing every week and it can't continue this way.

I think we all want the lad to be a world beater, he's clearly got the raw talent, but there's something missing.
You absolutely cannot play him further back unless it's against poor opposition and Gana can do his covering. Not to mention he tends to take too many risks dribbling out from too deep. He's also and crucially for that position, got very a limited ability to tackle (Henderson blinder from last night aside!). His positional sense without the ball is also really poor, Koeman's pressing style is hugely let down by him (and Lukaku), just watch those two together with Barkley at 10. They both do the same thing in that they do their best to make it "look" like they're pressing and looking to put in a challenge but there's no real commitment there. It's probably part of the reason our midfield don't commit more to pressing further up the pitch with them as they'll be left all at sea. In fairness, Ross did at least run more than I've seen in a while last night.
It's such a shame with Barkley as he's got the classic "can do things with a ball few others can", but every time I watch him you can't help but feel that his brain is half a yard behind his feet. We moan about his decision making, I actually think he tries to make the right pass/dribble a lot of the time, sadly he's made the decision to do it a fraction late and his passes are either cut out, he's let the defender get too close and gets dispossessed etc...
Still want the lad to come good, but I just can't see him improving the parts of his game that he needs to. For me he doesn't have a quick enough footballing brain and in a team set up to press the opposition all over the pitch he will always be a weak link. If someone offered a silly amount of money I'd be in favour of taking it...

I agree with certain things you say here, but I don't think you can rule out him playing deeper until we actually see him given that chance in a game. It might just be my poor memory, but the only time I recall him clearly starting in a deeper midfield two was when we had a bit of a midfield injury crisis a couple of years ago vs QPR so he started alongside Besic. Admittedly that QPR side were comically bad, but I remember him & Besic being our best players that night, running the game with ease and Ross scoring a great goal dribbling from deep. But we never got to see him in that role again as people came back from injuries straight after, which I think is a shame. It certainly showed he can perform there though.

You know something's "off" when you see him put that challenge in.

Never seen him do that ever. Honestly think Koeman isn't doing anything right by him or Lukaku

Not quick or intelligent enough to play the number 10 role, not hard working or good enough in the tackle to play centre mid. Sorry Ross but I can't see how you're part of our long term future. You've had plenty of opportunities, but the excuses, and I've made plenty for you, must come to an end sometime.

Credit to Horrenderson & even Klopp for not making a big deal out of the horror tackle in the post match comments. Another day he would've been off and 3 match ban.
i said on twitter that Gerrard would make those challenges 2-3 times a derby and it was labelled as leadership and passion from a local boy. my favorite reply was that it was ok when Gerrard did it because he was world class apparently and Barkley isn't fit to lace his boots. Hard to argue with the second bit on current form.

Yes, it was the QPR game where he was alongside Besic (oh for him to get a good run of games and come good too!) but like you say it was really poor opposition! I just don't think he's got the necessary parts to his game for that role. Throw him in there in the early rounds of the League Cup of poor FA Cup opposition maybe... but I wouldn't really want to try it against half decent Prem Teams. If it went tits up, Koeman would hook him without hesitation and that's the last of the boys confidence gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.