• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16

The worst matches at this tournament have either involved England or been between two of the “top” teams. I’d rather watch Georgia, Turkey, Austria and Romania. The tournament is better for the variety.
Oh, don't confuse England with the top teams...

England 100% are but even leaving them out France games stink, Spain can play some very dull games, Belgium are dull.

The tournament is absolutely the perfect mix right now.
You cannot assume that how those sides have played in this format would be how they would play in a different format. When there is almost no jeopardy in the group, you get stodge. That's been the case here. When there has been jeopardy in previous tournaments, we often got great games. I've been watching this tournament for 40 years. This year's edition is in the bottom third - but that's as much to do with the format as anything else.

We may yet get some good games in the last 8, though, as the cream is eventually reaching the top, it seems.

I think that's a bit harsh on Spain.

In their prime deffo, I think Spain are pretty exciting to watch right now.
Easily the best team to watch so far. A real good blend of the old tika taka, when needed to manage the game, and direct play especially on the counter-attack. They can beat you in different ways now.

You cannot assume that how those sides have played in this format would be how they would play in a different format. When there is almost no jeopardy i nthe group, you get stodge. That's been the case here. When there has been jeopardy in previous tournaments, we often got great games. I've been watching this tournament for 40 years. This year's edition is in the bottom third - but that's as much to do with the format as anything else.

We may yet get some good games in the last 8, though, as the cream is eventually reaching the top, it seems.
There’s jeopardy in the Copa America and half the games are awful because no one risks anything. That’s just where the game is. No number of teams is fixing it.

Easily the best team to watch so far. A real good blend of the old tika taka, when needed to manage the game, and direct play especially on the counter-attack. They can beat you in different ways now.
I prefer Austria to be honest, more my type of football, but yeah Spain have entertained me for the first time in years without boring me to tears.

There’s jeopardy in the Copa America and half the games are awful because no one risks anything. That’s just where the game is. No number of teams is fixing it.
To be fair, I don't think there are enough decent sides in the Americas to make anything more than an 8-team tournament a chore.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back